PDA

View Full Version : Clean Windshield

newv70xcmom
09-12-2004, 10:17 AM
How do you guys clean the front windshield? My spouse insist on cleaning first then rainx. I am not a fan of the stuff. Its seems that I can never get a clean front windshield without a streak/smudge.

Willy
09-12-2004, 01:35 PM
Hi,
I assume you refer to the inside. Never had problems with that, I use some kind of window cleaner (alcoholbeased I think). I don't spray it but apply it on a clean and lintfree towel. One thing helps a lot: I have long arms and I can reach from left to right in one sweep, working from top to bottom.
On the other hand, I don't need to clean the windshield much, does someone smoke in your car?
Willy

AWD*V70XC
09-12-2004, 02:36 PM
My spouse insists on cleaning first then rainx.

rainx is an external application :eek: It is supposed to be applied to a clear/clean screen that is left without the wiper action when rain falls. The idea behind the stuff is that when driving at a fast speed ie +50mph the rain collects in water droplets and moves up the screen with the action of the wind. It is a similar action to that of aircraft when 'driving' in rain. Although the aircraft has wipers it would be foolish to use them in speeds of +70mph as the speed of the wind would sheer the wipers from the aircraft frame and leave gapping big holes in the fuselage.

The choice of rainx against a good windscreen cleaner depends on your general driving speed. If you do a lot of highway driving with good clean rain and spray and speeds in excess of 50mph+ rainx is your man. If on the otherhand you just potter around town and past the school the chances of picking up flies is slightly less common and therefore the action of the wipers will be greater. If you choose a decent screen cleaner and have good/new wiper blades this would be a very good choice for you.

The other advantage of screen washes is the proven fact that if used as directed, the stuff with withstand freezing in cold climates and therefore acts as an antifreeze on your windshield against re-freezing of water elements.

PS NEVER mixed different coloured screen washes as this will cause you fatal system failure resulting in a completely new washer system :eek:

PLUG PLUG :eek: :p Volvo do a small bottle of screen wash for about $/€1.00 ~ £0.70 which is enough to last the summer season of continous driving. During the winter I will add two bottles per empty tank and top up with one new bottle when half empty. :D

phantom
09-12-2004, 08:25 PM
I am a strong advocate of rain-X...applied to the exterior. Bugs don't stick, I use the wipers less, and ice and frost scrape easier. For streak free glass inside or out, use any good glass cleaner and crumpled newspaper. Best cleaner for my money is Stoner "Invisible Glass". The inside surfaces get coated (fogged) with emissions of plasticizers from the synthetic materials. It will take a little more effort to clean it properly and you should clean the windshield more frequently.

Phantom

ifnt420
09-13-2004, 02:55 AM
How do you guys clean the front windshield?
Hmm... am I the only old school people that still use Windex and The Wall Street Journal? :D

cetaft
09-13-2004, 05:08 AM
Nope. I use Windex and the NY Times Magazine section. It gives me something to read while I'm cleaning. :)

Hmm... am I the only old school people that still use Windex and The Wall Street Journal? :D

newv70xcmom
09-13-2004, 06:50 AM
ok

I guess I am about to show my ignorance but why newspaper? One would think ink would get on the window???

ifnt420
09-13-2004, 07:15 AM
ok

I guess I am about to show my ignorance but why newspaper? One would think ink would get on the window???
:D :D
Using newspaper dates back to home window cleaning around the mid 20th century. the paper was low lint,(compared to cotton from the same era) absorbent, inexpensive (was used to line birdcages too...) and most importantly the inks used had small amounts of graphite, petrol and other carbon compounds that made the glass appear clean, shinny and streak free...it really did work nicely until about 1981...

modern news print inks are much different so they don't polish the glass, and the quality of the paper has changes as well with recycled materials and poorer pulped woods. also better lint less textiles are available...

if you do use newpaper go with the wall street journal or ny times as these have pigments that more closely approximate the old good ones that left fingers inked...
if you are looking to save on 20/20 (the good stuff) distilled water 50/50 with isopropyl alcohol and 2 drops of dish soap in 12oz makes a super window spray cleaner. windex works fine, can be diluted 3-4 fold with distilled water but the ammonia in it will harm tinted window films, so stick with the etoh based cleaners....

Cheers

pting
09-13-2004, 01:10 PM
The inside surfaces get coated (fogged) with emissions of plasticizers from the synthetic materials. It will take a little more effort to clean it properly and you should clean the windshield more frequently.
This will happen if you use Armor-All inside the car. Stay away from Armor-All as it will evaporate quickly and attach to your windshield, becoming next to impossible to clean. It also leeches those plasticizers from the vinyl surfaces and causes them to crack much sooner.

A periodic wipedown with wet rags or paper towls is all I do, with a bit of soap added for grease or heavy fingerprints.

newv70xcmom
09-13-2004, 01:47 PM
I had gone on a trip and several bugs were on the windshield. Went to clean it but because of the rainx it just smeared. It was a mess. This is not an inside windshield problem. But for those of you who asked. I do not smoke and no one is allowed to smoke in the car plus I am not a fan of armor all.

Willy
09-13-2004, 02:29 PM
Hello again,
Very good (the not smoking and the not using armor all indise a small space such as a car :-).
So you only have to convince your spouse about the RainX and
all will be well :-)
Good luck,
Willy

Art
09-13-2004, 02:33 PM
I get excellent results using microfibre cloths on the interior glass. I generally have a damp one on hand for greasy fingerprints and a dry one for buffing out any haze left behind. Their gentle on tint film too. :)

Now only if I could sprout arms like Willy’s, then the job would be much easier! ;) :D

Willy
09-13-2004, 07:03 PM
Here is a secret tip: do your shopping a long way from home, don't take the car but walk, buy heavy things such as clusters of beer cans and carry them home. Your arms will grow faster than you ever thought possible. Don't drink the beer while walking home, this will shorten your arms length as quick as they have grown. (I am lucky enough to have a decent wingspan of my own, with some stretching I reach 2 meters, played volleyball in a previous life, and my arms don't schrink after drinking beer :)
However, I must admit that if future car design will continue the current trends, I won't even be able to reach the bottom of the windshield :)
Willy

HeadXC
09-15-2004, 06:27 PM
I use Rain X on all my cars and even bring it with me when i rent cars. The stuff is awesome. It is not just for speeds. The water beads off the windshield at even 40km (while it is fresh for about 3 weeks) As it gets older it requires more speed to work properly but it still beads the water, eliminating the film of water that impairs your vision. Dirt from snow plows wipes off much faster and cleaner than an unprepared windshield.
Volvo is even applying a coating (optional i believe) on the MY05 that performs the same