PDA

View Full Version : Tires anyone???

PaulAndMarcia
09-04-2004, 01:21 AM
As previously mentioned, I just traded in my Jeep on a 99 XC. Although the tires have a little life on them, I'd prefer to put some new ones on. I tried to talk tires into the deal, but they dropped the price $2500 instead.

Any thoughts as to tires? I'm looking for something year-round: awesome in the PNW rain, tight in the snow, and yet ready to handle it when I want to corner tightly. Long treadlife is a must. Thanks!

AWD*V70XC
09-04-2004, 02:34 AM
Hi Guys, welcome along. The question you asked about tires is an old chestnut of this site. The debate continues whether it should be Pirelli's or Nokians. Some say one others would not have them.

I think the best thing to do is do a search on tire/tyres and read all the posts and then come back with a question. Having read all the posts on this matter I am still undecided or unswayed to go fully one way or the other. I have the stock Pirelli's STR's and have had not problems with mud, sand, English snow and highway driving.

Some US folk have two sets of wheels which they change depending on the season so that is one you might have to look at. But do a search as there is plenty of stuff about them here. :D

BIGGUYNE
09-04-2004, 06:17 AM
How long do you intend to keep it? I've been thru the factory Conti's (2 sets) and now have a set of Goodyear Aquatred 3's on my 2000. No complaints, and their an 80,000 mile tire.

tgrumaj
09-04-2004, 06:12 PM
I have a set of Continental ContiContacts that were put on at 55k and now have 77k. They are quiet and did a good job in the snow last winter. They are wearing very well and I would expect to get at least another 20k plus before considering changing. From what I've read on the board I would take a strong look at the Nokian WRs as my next pair. If not I'd probably stick with the Conti's.

GrouseV70XC
09-13-2004, 12:46 PM
Yep...its the old tire question. I just put Michelin Pilot XGT H4's in 215/60/15 on my '99 XC and their handling on wet or dry pavement is superb. (Haven't tried snow yet) I've got the Goodyear Aquatred 3's on my other car and they do very well also, but unfortunately they've been discontinued. If you're not willing to swap out tires for the winter, you'll have to either sacrifice performance or longevity. The new Goodyear triple treads or the Michelin Hydroedge will give you the longevity, but they have low speed ratings and I hear they don't perform too well. The Michelin Pilot XGT H4's perform well, but may only last 40-50k with diligent rotations. I haven't heard too many great things about the Pirelli's, and the only Nokians I can find are winter only. I suggest you check tirerack.com and discount tire.com, and read all the reviews. Good luck!

PaulAndMarcia
09-14-2004, 12:14 AM
Thanks everyone! I actually only drive my car about 6K-8K a year, so shorter-life tires may be okay (though I'd prefer at least a 60K tire). I'm really interested in a all-season tire that will perform well in the snow, and be a little faster. I've read some reviews on the Continentals on other sites, and they sound appealing, but I'll continue to research this...

cetaft
09-14-2004, 05:02 AM
FWIW, I'm running the Nokian WR's and love them.

Skippy314
09-17-2004, 06:19 AM
have you tried tirerack.com? we have a set of Kuhmo's and believe it or not, they run excellent. practically no road noise and great handling in poor weather

Big
09-17-2004, 06:52 AM
FWIW, I'm running the Nokian WR's and love them.
When we had the 2000 V70XC the Nokian WR's (http://www.nokiantyres.com/passengercars_product_en?product=610503&name=NOKIAN+WR) were outstanding all year and we live in the snow zone. Tire Factory carries them in the Northwest.

SexyXC
10-26-2004, 08:39 AM
I spent a whole weekend online at tirerack.com. I highly recommend this site for research and prices. People actually go into the site and give updates on their tires that they purchased from tirerack. After many hours on the tirerack.com site (yes, I need to get a life) I decided to go with the Bridgestone Potenza RE950s. They work really well here in Denver with the snow, plus the tread design is cool. Looks matter too! Hope this helps. Also, just because tires come stock on the car, doesn't neccessarily mean they're the best. Well, time for me to grab my bike pump and digital tire pressure gauge and check up on my beauties.

maddice
10-27-2004, 10:26 AM
If you are looking for great ALL Season Tires with excellent ratings and performance in Wet/Snow/Dry. I suggest the Michelin

Energy™ MXV4® Plus

Powerful wet/dry handling
Superb comfort
Exceptionally long tread life

http://www.michelinman.com/catalog/tires/MichelinEnergyMXV4Plus.html?tiretype=0&tire=1&source=ta
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Silky
10-27-2004, 01:03 PM
A Scandinavian made car deserves Scandinavian made tires, Nokian WR's are probably suit any AWD wagon or SUV just as well if not better than any other tire made.

WR's are Mud/Snow rated, most sizes are Z rated, have a 50000 miles warranty, and have exceptional traction in all conditions. I have a set on my Outback and would be a fool to put any other set of tires on there after they have probably saved my tail in a few cases. Seriously these tires turn your car info a snowmobile and handle in the rain like sticky sports tires handle on a dry summer day. If you regret these tires one bit, well you probably have something wrong with your car not your tires ;)

spressomon
10-28-2004, 07:04 AM
When we had the 2000 V70XC the Nokian WR's (http://www.nokiantyres.com/passengercars_product_en?product=610503&name=NOKIAN+WR) were outstanding all year and we live in the snow zone. Tire Factory carries them in the Northwest.

BIG: How are the Nokian WR tires on dry? Although I have been a die-hard Hakka/Nokian fan for 15-years I have had lower profile sizes in the past. My concerns are: Sidewall flex and stable tracking on grooved highway (which the stock Pirelli Scorpion's are not good at).

Thanks,

spressomon
10-28-2004, 07:06 AM
A Scandinavian made car deserves Scandinavian made tires, Nokian WR's are probably suit any AWD wagon or SUV just as well if not better than any other tire made.

WR's are Mud/Snow rated, most sizes are Z rated, have a 50000 miles warranty, and have exceptional traction in all conditions. I have a set on my Outback and would be a fool to put any other set of tires on there after they have probably saved my tail in a few cases. Seriously these tires turn your car info a snowmobile and handle in the rain like sticky sports tires handle on a dry summer day. If you regret these tires one bit, well you probably have something wrong with your car not your tires ;)

Silky: How's Omaha? I grew up there...moved to Reno 9-years ago...

Silky
10-28-2004, 01:29 PM
Silky: How's Omaha? I grew up there...moved to Reno 9-years ago...
I'm liking Omaha, I'm actually stationed at Offutt though. So far so good, this is a city I could probably live in indefinately. There's a lot of hockey around here to play as well as having two great teams in the Lancers and the Mavericks ;)

BIG: How are the Nokian WR tires on dry? Although I have been a die-hard Hakka/Nokian fan for 15-years I have had lower profile sizes in the past. My concerns are: Sidewall flex and stable tracking on grooved highway (which the stock Pirelli Scorpion's are not good at).
Thanks,
Mine have been holding up pretty well on just about anything. They are exceptional on dry, wet, or slick pavement. As you probably know Omaha and pretty much all the states around Nebraska don't have very good roads. Nebraska itself has been retooling many of their roads and grooved highways seem to be everywhere for the time being. My WRs have been doing very well on them, I know I sound like a Nokian salesman but its just that I feel like these tires are the best I've ever driven on and just that the company itself produces "The Real Deal" as far as tires go :cool:

chetcpo
11-13-2004, 09:58 AM
At $55 each and a #1 rating I think I owe it to myself to give these a shot.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?yr=1999&sw=false&cs=205&pc=28858&rd=15&vid=002587&ar=65