PDA

View Full Version : New car... long cuts in carpet! Should I replace?

fprintf
09-03-2004, 04:25 AM
We have a new 2004 xc70 that now has about 2000 miles on it. We did a good vacuum for the first time a few days ago and noticed two 5 inch razor cuts in the carpet. These cuts are located right where the wheel well bump is in the front passenger footwells and are up high where we didn't see them when we inspected the car.

The dealer has offered to replace the entire front carpet on the vehicle under warranty because he thinks it was done when they removed whatever protective plastic was on the carpets during transport. I am concerned, however. When replacing the carpet I am imagining they will have to remove a whole lot of stuff from the interior. Isn't this likely going to introduce squeaks, rattles or otherwise spoil the otherwise excellent fit and finish?

Would you recommend I replace the carpet or just live with the cuts?

p.s. We own the car and intend to keep it for 10 years. If it was a lease I wouldn't care as much.

Tom H
09-03-2004, 04:53 AM
It's a tuff call. I think I would have them replace it. There is a potential that what are only slits now will become larger openings over time. This will allow a lot of dirt and debree to work it's way under the carpet. If you decide that you want to fix it three years from now you may have an issue with color match. I wouldn't think that rattles and squeaks would be an issue. Other than the front seat assembly most of the other work is finish trim removal. Have the dealer explain what is involed and tell him your concerns. Perhaps he can ease your mind about the process. Good luck!

NeuDaddi
09-04-2004, 08:33 AM
I would definitely have it fixed, but thats just me. You bought a brand new car, so you have a right to getting an undamaged product. I wouldn't worry about rattles and all since they can always tighten that up for you later.

John@CdnRockies
09-04-2004, 08:37 AM
I would go for the replacement, particularly if the dealer is offering to foot the bill. I had a cut on a carpet (self inflicted) many years ago. Over time it started unravelling and expanding - you deserve better.

John

AWD*V70XC
09-04-2004, 02:59 PM
The dealer has offered to replace the entire front carpet on the vehicle under warranty because he thinks it was done when they removed whatever protective plastic was on the carpets during transport.

That's crap :p , I have never seen any protective covering attached to any of the floors on a new delivery :rolleyes: . The only protection they put on the floor is a piece of paper that moves around the foot well from getting in and out by the delivery drivers. :D

If I was the dealer I would show you other new deliveries and tell you that it was not our fault and any replacement is down to you :p . TUFF.

But as they are willing to do a replacement I would grab it with open arms, you will never get the chance again to repeat an offer as good as that. TAKE IT NOW. :D

hunterxc
09-04-2004, 09:41 PM
Go for the replacement carpet. As my dealer said, a newly delivered XC70 should be perfect.

fprintf
09-05-2004, 04:34 AM
That's crap

Jeez, sorry you don't believe me. I will be taking them up on their offer asap. However I can assure you these cuts are straight and deep enough that it looks like they were made with a razor blade and are at exactly the same place on each footwell. Strange, for sure, but not something I, my wife or my kids have done.

birddog
09-05-2004, 04:53 AM
Glad to hear you are going to go for what they are offering......the car should be perfect inside.

AWD*V70XC
09-05-2004, 01:40 PM
Jeez, sorry you don't believe me.

fprintf, I never said that :o What I meant was a response to the dealers' quote in the box -
The dealer has offered to replace the entire front carpet on the vehicle under warranty because he thinks it was done when they removed whatever protective plastic was on the carpets during transport. What he said is crap - I was in fact saying that the cars do not come with any protective covering on the floors.

I work in a service industry (where people try to pull the wool over your eyes all the time) and you just get very harddened towards them. If you had tried to pull something like that (which I believe you had no part in) in the UK, you would have been given short change and told to get on your bike - in other words get lost.

I think that you have very understanding dealer that is willing to do this replacement for you, and as I said before, I think you should take him up on his offer - which you said you would anyway.

Thinking about the cuts, there must be a reason for them and I cannot think of a logical reason for it. I assume you picked up the car with next to nothing on the clock (ie brand spanking new car), so therefore it is not as if it was a demo that had something removed because it was on the demo car and they did not want to give it to you. One point I would make to you though is, try and put your fingers behind the cuts and see if they have cut through any wires, there are all sorts of wires running around under the floor mats and I would hate to think something has been damaged by these cuts :(

Good luck and sorry for any misunderstanding :D

fprintf
09-05-2004, 06:14 PM
AWDetc. I apologize for misunderstanding your post. In fact I cannot believe the dealer has been so agreeable as I half expected them to tell me to "stuff it". Perhaps it is because our car received a scratch in their care that they are bending over backwards to help us out.

I don't have a digicam except on my PDA, which is rather fuzzy, but I will try and get something posted before they get it fixed. Thanks for the suggestions on checking the wiring, I will go and do that right now.

Regards,
Stuart

fprintf
09-29-2004, 10:15 AM
Just a quick posting of the resolution to this issue. My wife went to have the carpet replaced at the dealer. While they took the car in she was going to wait the hour or two for them to replace it. So she went downstairs to kill some time to the showroom to see if the cars in the showroom had the cuts in the carpet.

The MY05 XC had cuts in exactly the same location. She inquired of the sales manager and he all but said that the previous people answering our questions did not have a clue and that the slits were for adjusting something or another. A quick check of all the cars in the lot showed slits in every car's carpet. Luckily the service team had not yet started disassembling the car by the time they went back upstairs to chastise the service team. Doh!!!

At least they offered her an apology for her troubles and worry.

Stuart

Tom H
09-29-2004, 11:41 AM
fprintf,

This slightly negative response is not by any means directed towards you personally but based upon your sales manager's response, I should expect to find these same slits in my MY04. I don't have these. I did however, discover a single 2" slit in my car. It is located in the front passenger area on the opposite side from where you describe. Mine is roughly where the front passengers left calve might rest just below the bottom edge of the center console. It's a cleanly cut straight line running parallel to the bottom of the console. As in your case, I am certain beyond any doubt that I did not put it there. If your sales manager was telling the truth or passing on the correct rumor then your car, along with the MY05s on their lot, needs "something or another" adjusted that is different from the "something or another" mine needs. And apparently some owners cars never need "something or another" adjusted because they don't have any slits in their carpet. I strongly question your Sales Manager's answer.

Tom H

AWD*V70XC
09-29-2004, 12:05 PM
fprintf I am completly lost now, are you trying to say that this 'rip' is a designer rip and we should all have one???

As I said a photo of your rip would clear this up one way or the other, (I know you said you didn't have a camera) but this is turning out very wierd. I have reread your post and looked in my car and cannot find anything like you describe, maybe.....................I'm lost, this has me beat.

tooberand
09-29-2004, 12:35 PM
In my 2004 I have a cut just like Tom H described and also one close to where fprintf described. I can take pictures once my wife gets back with the camera if anyone is interested.

AWD*V70XC
09-29-2004, 01:04 PM
In my 2004 I have a cut just like Tom H described and also one close to where fprintf described. I can take pictures once my wife gets back with the camera if anyone is interested.

That would be great, because I cannot imagine why the have done this when there is no accessory to fit in the slit.

Artz
09-29-2004, 01:22 PM
We had a slit in the back of the drivers headrest. Luckily I noticed it when we were picking up the car before any money was handed over. The salesman mumbled something about service being able to 'fix' it. I 'corrected'' him ,with - 'You mean order and install a new one'. He agreed, and they did!

Tom H
09-29-2004, 01:23 PM
AWD, I was going to grab a quick picture for you but I can't seem to find my camera or my wife. Oh well..........soon.

AWD*V70XC
09-29-2004, 01:41 PM
AWD, I can't seem to find my camera or my wife.

LOL, that had me chuckling, when you find your camera you will know where your wife has been.:-))

As I said before, if you can 'put something' in the slit then we know what sort of size and where we are talking about. I'll wait. Thanks

Tom H
09-29-2004, 02:13 PM
Ok, here is the slit in my front passenger area. Not big but it doesn't really belong there.

http://www.xc70.com/pics/albums/userpics/normal_cptslit1.jpg

According to some dealers, this is where I make my adjustments.

http://www.xc70.com/pics/albums/userpics/normal_cptslit2.jpg

Seriously, I can live with it since it is up so high but fprintf has two of these that are 6" long. I would have a hard time with that.

Art
09-29-2004, 02:22 PM
Yep...I've got the same 2" slits on either side of the passenger footwell too. Not as noticeable on the dark gray upholstery. Below is the one on the right side slightly below the bottom of the glovebox. VCNA/Volvo Canada have no idea. Techs at the dealer figure they're used as some sort of mounting points...for what though? :confused:

AWD*V70XC
09-29-2004, 03:02 PM
The only thing I can think of is some sort of aftermarket wiring could come thru there, but what would you have there?

Tom H
09-29-2004, 03:47 PM
Ok, you got me thinking too hard. I wonder if these slits are used on one of the other models. We have an 04 S60 and 04 XC70, both Ash Gold. One vary uncommon thing that I noticed early on about Volvo is that in order to minimize their mfg costs they use many major compents across multiple vehicles. I've never before seen this practice with Toyota or Honda. Those cars don't even share the same radio let alone fenders or dashboards. With the S60 and XC parked next to each other I noticed that the hood (bonnet), fenders, winshield, wipers, sunroof, engine, transmission, dashbaord, steering wheel, etc., etc., are the exact same size. They share the same radio, AC unit, dash switches, steering column, front doors, door liners, handles, and I wonder....carpets? I could spend a few hours in my garage and interchange most of those components. This same practice carries over to the S80, S70 and who knows what other models. I wonder if these slits serve a purpose on one of the other Vehicles. Just a thought. I see I'm slightly turning the focus but it may explain the cuts.

Tom H
09-29-2004, 05:08 PM
Hind sight is 20/20 but I guess the best thing that could have happened is that fprintf or his wife were given an opportunity to look at the new carpet which the dealer was ready to install. If it was free of cuts we would have our answer. I wonder if this last encounter with the Sales Manager closed the deal or if fprintf can re-open the issue and get the new carpet. What do you think fprintf? Is it too late to go back? Maybe a different dealership?

fprintf
09-29-2004, 06:30 PM
You guys have done great finding all the slits in the carpet. This last one is the one that originally concerned us and prompted my original panicky post. I measured the slit this time, and ours comes out at exactly 3" long. You can find it on the passenger side by looking under the glove box on the wheelwell hump almost directly between the light and a screw hole.

fprintf
09-29-2004, 06:35 PM
Hind sight is 20/20 but I guess the best thing that could have happened is that fprintf or his wife were given an opportunity to look at the new carpet which the dealer was ready to install. If it was free of cuts we would have our answer. I wonder if this last encounter with the Sales Manager closed the deal or if fprintf can re-open the issue and get the new carpet. What do you think fprintf? Is it too late to go back? Maybe a different dealership?

Well, on seeing the slits in *all* the other MY04 and MY05 cars on the lot I am nearly 100% sure that this is something that is meant to be there. It seems rather silly, for sure, for there to be cuts in the carpet but I am going to leave it alone and take it as it is. Mostly because it is so inconvenient to get to the dealer and I am rather quite satisfied after inspecting the other cars *and* seeing the posted pictures.

fprintf

Tom H
09-29-2004, 08:51 PM
fprintf,

I does seem strange indeed that so many cars would have those slits. I can't imagine why they are there. It's one of those situations where I just want to understand the purpose. Who knows, someday one of our very resourceful forum members will revisit this post and provide an official explaination. It's good that you are content to just live with them. I'm ok with the one I found in my XC. Afterall, it's your family car, and ultimately your satisfaction and safety is what matters.

Tom H

hd70
09-30-2004, 12:14 PM
I have an appointment at my local (German) Volvo dealer tomorrow and I will ask him. Let's see what he has to say.

AWD*V70XC
09-30-2004, 12:33 PM
Ok, you got me thinking too hard. I wonder if these slits are used on one of the other models. I wonder if these slits serve a purpose on one of the other Vehicles. Just a thought. I see I'm slightly turning the focus but it may explain the cuts.

I had thought about this as well but I cannot think of anything that you would attach to that part of the car to make use of something. The only possibility is that the carpet does fit another model and the 'trim' level is a different height and on another model this slit would be used for that model and therefore it would not be seen.

That's all I can make out of this strange thing. I wait for an interesting answer.

Ab_Fab
09-30-2004, 01:03 PM
Just so we know, checked my 02XC, znd this has split in exactll the same place (never noticed it before!). It may be a bit shorter than the ones you explain though

Cheers
Ab

Art
09-30-2004, 01:29 PM
I had thought about this as well but I cannot think of anything that you would attach to that part of the car to make use of something. The only possibility is that the carpet does fit another model and the 'trim' level is a different height and on another model this slit would be used for that model and therefore it would not be seen.

That's all I can make out of this strange thing. I wait for an interesting answer.

This might be a bit of a stretch here, but has anyone noticed that the S/V40's optional umbrella holder fits in or around the area in question?

http://www.ertlecars.com/volvo/accessories/images/umbrella.jpg

fprintf
09-30-2004, 04:22 PM
Nope, the slits are on the opposite side of the footwell (toward the door and the wheel-hump).

hd70
10-01-2004, 10:03 AM
While I was at my dealer today I looked at the new XC70 MY05 German version. Yes, it has the same cut as mine.

I let the master mechanic take a look at my car and his first reaction was, that he was surprised and he immediately told me that the carpet needs to be replaced. I asked him again to verify. He said it again - replace carpet. Now I told him what "we" found out and that the car in the showroom also has the cut and I just would like to know why the cut is there. He was really in shock and he promised me to check into it with Volvo. I have another appointment in a few weeks. Lets see what the outcome will be.

hd70
10-05-2005, 04:54 AM
I was at the Frankfurt auto show (IAA 2005) and spoke to Mr. Ruhe. A technical representative of Volvo Germany. I told him (among other things) about the cut in the carpet. We looked at the XC70 they presented (MY2006) and it also had the cut. He didn't know what it was. He promised me to get back.
Well, after two weeks now he sent me an e-mail stating that this is used for accessories (?!?). Since he was very short with his answers, I asked for more details. Now I'm waiting for the answer.

WestcoastXC
10-06-2005, 03:08 AM
Hi,

I am pretty sure the slit is for one of the child seat monting eyelets. I once installed these in my 940.

hd70
10-06-2005, 04:50 AM
I'm surprised that they would mount a child seat in front of the passenger seat next to the center console?