PDA

View Full Version : V50 design based on Dr Who's Tardis!

Ron3KL
09-02-2004, 04:53 AM
I notice that Volvo has performed a miracle with the new V50 and I hope that
a) they have patented the technology; and
b) they apply the technology to all new XC models that are released in the future.

"What technology?" I hear you ask... Well it seems that they have taken interior packaging to the limit, taking a leaf out of Dr Who's time machine "The Tardis", which for those that don't already know, had the curious feature of being bigger on the outside than the inside.

According to http://www.volvoxc.com/v50/v50_spec_sheet.html the overall length of the V50 is 117.8" (2.99 metres) long while the load length with the seats down is 120.5" (3.06 metres).

So does that mean if I buy a V50 that I can fit another V50 in the back? And another in the back of the second one? And...

Gee that'd be great for shipping new cars to the dealers.

:D

AWD*V70XC
09-02-2004, 02:34 PM
Oh very good, guess you got up early this morning. That was so funny and just proves how well some people study this site. :eek:

Ron3KL
09-02-2004, 06:11 PM
Actually it was very late over here where I am...

The only reason I noticed it was because I went to convert the length dimension into metric to compare with my V70XC and kept on coming up with 3 metres (very small). At first I thought I must be making a mistake because I was tired. After the 3rd try I realised it was the measurement that was wrong, not my math.

First with XC News
09-04-2004, 01:44 PM
The Volvo V50 wagon replaces the V40 model that was launched in 1999 and is the wagon equivalent of the S40 sedan. Got that?

This latest iteration of Volvo's smallest wagon is now available in three trim levels. The naturally aspirated 168-hp front-drive V50 2.4i starts at $26,345, the turbocharged front-drive T5 model ups the base price to $27,945, and the top-of-the-line T5 AWD adds the four-wheel factor to the same turbo motor and starts at $30,795.

The V50 keeps the same basic proportions as the V40. All the wagon's dimensions are within a few inches of that earlier model's, but by moving the wheels closer to the corners of the vehicle, Volvo designers have made incremental improvements in interior space, as well as improving the styling and handling.

Volvo hopes to sell at least 6500 V50s a year in the U.S. That may not sound like a lot, but it's more than four-and-a-half times the number of V40s that were sold in 2003. To put this number into perspective, during 2003 Audi sold slightly fewer than 3800 A4 Avants, and BMW sold just over 1800 3-series wagons.

Maybe the folks at Volvo listen to their customers, because they've corrected many of the complaints about the V40. The V50 is now available with more power, the Haldex electronically controlled all-wheel drive available on other Volvos, and a previously unavailable manual transmission—the six-speed borrowed from the S60R.

For our evaluation, Volvo supplied us with very nearly our favorite model, the turbocharged T5 with all-wheel drive. The only additional option we'd like is the six-speed manual transmission that won't be available until early December.

This $34,715 V50 T5 AWD came well loaded, but it did not have a sunroof ($1200) or navigation system ($2120). It was actually an early-production European version and had the optional "keyless drive" system that is becoming popular on many luxury brands. Although it was on the car tested here, keyless drive won't be available until model-year '06. Consequently, we didn't include the estimated cost of that option—about $500—in our specifications panel.

The 2.5-liter turbocharged engine makes 218 horsepower and 236 pound-feet of torque (48 and 59 more than the V40, respectively). Even with all this power, turbo lag is virtually nonexistent, noticeable only when lightly modulating the throttle from a standstill.

Mash the throttle, however, and the V50 blasts to 60 in 6.9 seconds and passes through the quarter-mile in 15.2 seconds at 93 mph. Our Euro-spec model continued up to an unrestricted 141 mph, although Volvo suggests that it will limit the straight-line fun to 130 mph on U.S.-spec cars.

Gaining nearly 500 pounds in the process of changing names, the V50's acceleration times are still a huge improvement over the V40's: 8.3 seconds to 60 and 16.4 seconds at 85 mph in the quarter-mile.

The V50's straight-line performance is also good enough to walk away from the Audi A4 Avant 3.0 Quattro and the BMW 325xi wagon but not quite enough to run with the new Subaru Impreza WRX-based Saab 9-2X Aero.

The Volvo's steering is nicely weighted and is combined with a properly chosen ratio that doesn't demand constant correction on the highway and also doesn't make the driver turn the wheel too far for cornering. Although the V50 sends 100 percent of its power to the front wheels until slip is detected, torque steer is surprisingly absent.

We had a sneak peek some months back at the V50's new chassis in Mazda 3 guise, so we weren't surprised to find it well balanced. It never felt too harsh driving around Michigan's frustratingly pocked roads, yet it didn't just lean over and give up when lateral grip began to rise.

Wearing optional 17-inch wheels and W-rated Continental SportContact 2 tires, the V50 pulled an impressive 0.85 g, again bettering the performance of the sporting wagons from Audi and BMW, and only 0.01 g shy of the Saab's performance.

Registering another significant increase in performance, the standard anti-lock brakes brought the V50 to rest in 163 feet from 70 mph, 28 fewer feet than its predecessor. It outperformed the aforementioned Audi (180 feet), BMW (174 feet), and Saab (171 feet).

Toss this V50 into a four-wheel drift on your favorite off-ramp, and the stability control doesn't activate while you're at play. However, if you do something rash, like suddenly get off the throttle in mid-drift, the rear end will start to come around, at which point the stability control steps in and brings you back to reality. This is the kind of strategy we appreciate in stability control. It's well executed in the new V50, well worth the $695 option price, and very fitting with Volvo's safety image.

The standard automatic, a five-speed Geartronic, worked well under most conditions, generally choosing the gear we expected and only getting confused a couple of times. For example, execute a wide-open throttle launch, let's say, and then once you're up to 40 mph, ease off to maintain that speed. Do that, and the Geartronic will execute two upshifts. After the first, oddly enough, there is a half-second delay during which you get engine braking; this upsets the car—and the driver.

The transmission is outfitted with the typical manumatic control, which we often criticize for overriding the driver when the redline is approached or when slowing to a stop, among other things. However, this system actually lets the driver have significant control. Dying to heat up that transmission? How about a few third-gear launches? Or just cruise at the smooth electronic-throttle-controlled redline in the gear of your choice—it's up to you.

Inside and out, the V50 really looks terrific. A high priority for this wagon was style, and we think the company has succeeded. The exterior is unmistakably Volvo, benefiting from some familiar design cues. The wagon shape is sufficiently rounded off to make it pleasing to the eye as well as to the air passing over it, registering a 0.32 drag coefficient.

The interior is also easy on the eyes. The dash is simple yet elegant, with two large, easy-to-read gauges. The trick, super-slim, free-floating center stack adds to the stylish look and is very functional. On it there are four large knobs. The two at the top are for the stereo, and the bottom two are for the climate control. Give the top-left knob a large clockwise twist for a sample of the excellent 11-speaker, 445-watt optional sound system that has enough adjustability and volume to satisfy music tastes of young and old alike. Our stereo did develop a bad habit of forgetting our radio presets once in a while, but we feel certain this is a preproduction glitch that will be sorted out before you see V50s at your local dealership by the time you read this.

In the center of the stack is a four-way rocker pad that lets you scroll through various menus. It was easy to use, and we weren't forced to resort to the owner's manual. Soon we were tweaking deeply buried preferences, such as independent audio settings for the front and rear speakers and interior and exterior lighting strategies for approaching or departing the V50 with the "keyless drive" fob in our pocket.

The V50 offers the usual desirable flexibility of a wagon that we appreciate. With the rear seats in people-carrying form, the cargo area is good for hauling 27 cubic feet of whatever burdens you; fold those seats down and the number rises to 63 cubes. For comparison, that's about the same as the A4 Avant (31 and 64 cubic feet) and the 9-2X (28 and 62).

The rear seating area provides midpack room in the segment. The seats are reasonably comfortable for average-size people. This is still a small wagon, however, and if you pack a couple of six-footers back there, they'll begin whimpering, "Are we there yet?" in short order.

On the other hand, the front seats are typical of a Volvo: extremely adjustable to accommodate nearly any size driver and comfortable on long grinds. Once you've found that perfect seating position, the steering wheel can adjust to match, employing its tilting and telescoping features to accommodate drivers who border on the freakishly tall (no one we know).

Volvo says the V50 is targeted at folks with a "large capacity for life." With the large gain in performance, the handsome looks, and available all-wheel drive, along with a six-speed manual, we think Volvo has a good chance of locating at least 6500 of these people each year.

TEST RESULTS
ACCELERATION: Seconds
Zero to 30 mph: 2.3
40 mph: 3.5
50 mph: 5.1
60 mph: 6.9
70 mph: 9.2
80 mph: 11.7
90 mph: 14.7
100 mph: 18.5
110 mph: 24.2
120 mph: 31.3
130 mph: 42.8
Street start, 5-60 mph: 7.6
Top-gear acceleration, 30-50 mph: 3.7
50-70 mph: 5.1
Standing 1/4-mile: 15.2 sec @ 93 mph
Top speed (drag limited): 141 mph

BRAKING
70-0 mph @ impending lockup: 163 ft

HANDLING
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.85 g
Understeer: minimal moderate excessive

PROJECTED FUEL ECONOMY (MFR'S EST)
EPA city driving: 24 mpg
EPA highway driving: 31 mpg
C/D-observed: 20 mpg

INTERIOR SOUND LEVEL
Idle: 48 dBA
Full-throttle acceleration: 73 dBA
70-mph cruising: 70 dBA

VOLVO V50 T5 AWD
Vehicle type: front-engine, 4-wheel-drive, 5-passenger, 5-door wagon

Price as tested: $34,715

Price and option breakdown: base Volvo V50 T5 AWD (includes $685 freight), $30,795; Premium package (consists of leather seats, power passenger seat, and driver's seat memory), $995; bi-xenon headlights, $700; dynamic stability traction control, $695; Climate package (consists of heated front seats, headlamp washers, and rain-sensing windshield wipers), $625; 17-inch wheels, $500; Convenience package (consists of auto-dimming rearview mirror with compass, HomeLink transmitter, and roof rails), $405

Major standard accessories: power windows, driver seat, and locks; remote locking; A/C; cruise control; tilting and telescoping steering wheel; rear defroster and wiper

Sound system: Volvo AM-FM radio/CD changer, 11 speakers

ENGINE
Type: turbocharged and intercooled inline-5,
aluminum block and head
Bore x stroke: 3.27 x 3.67 in, 83.0 x 93.2mm
Displacement: 154 cu in, 2521cc
Compression ratio: 9.0: 1
Fuel-delivery system: port injection
Turbocharger: BorgWarner
Maximum boost pressure: 8.0 psi
Valve gear: belt-driven double overhead cams,
4 valves per cylinder, hydraulic lifters,
variable intake- and exhaust-valve timing
Power (SAE net): 218 bhp @ 5000 rpm
Torque (SAE net): 236 lb-ft @ 1500 rpm
Redline: 6500 rpm

DRIVETRAIN
Transmission: 5-speed automatic with manumatic shifting
Final-drive ratio: 2.27: 1
4-wheel-drive system: full time with automatic rear-axle
engagement and an electronically
controlled limited-slip center differential,
open front and rear differentials
with brake-based traction control
Gear, Ratio, Mph/1000 rpm, Max test speed
I, 4.66, 6.9, 45 mph (6500 rpm)
II, 3.03, 10.5, 69 mph (6500 rpm)
III, 1.98, 16.1, 105 mph (6500 rpm)
IV, 1.34, 23.9, 141 mph (5900 rpm)
V, 1.02, 31.3, 141 mph (4500 rpm)

DIMENSIONS
Wheelbase: 103.9 in
Track, front/rear: 60.4/60.3 in
Length/width/height: 177.7/69.7/57.2 in
Ground clearance: 5.3 in
Drag area, Cd (0.32) x frontal area (23.7 sq ft, est): 7.6 sq ft
Curb weight: 3552 lb
Weight distribution, F/R: 58.4/41.6%
Curb weight per horsepower: 16.3 lb
Fuel capacity: 15.9 gal

CHASSIS/BODY
Type: unit construction with a rubber-isolated
front crossmember
Body material: welded steel stampings

INTERIOR
SAE volume, front seat: 52 cu ft
rear seat: 41 cu ft
cargo, seats up/down: 27/63 cu ft
Practical cargo room, length of pipe: 125.3 in
largest sheet of plywood: 65.0 x 37.8 in
no. of 10 x 10 x 16-in boxes,
seats up/down: 14/34
Front-seat adjustments: fore-and-aft, seatback angle,
front height, rear height, lumbar support
Restraint systems, front: manual 3-point belts; driver and
passenger front, side, and curtain airbags
rear: manual 3-point belts, curtain airbags

SUSPENSION
Front: ind, strut located by a control arm, coil springs,
anti-roll bar
Rear: ind, strut located by 1 trailing link and 3 lateral links,
coil springs, anti-roll bar

STEERING
Type: rack-and-pinion with variable electrohydraulic
power assist
Steering ratio: 15.4: 1
Turns lock-to-lock: 2.9
Turning circle curb-to-curb: 34.9 ft

BRAKES
Type: hydraulic with hydraulic power assist,
anti-lock control, and electronic panic assist
Front: 11.8 x 1.0-in vented disc
Rear: 11.0 x 0.4-in disc

WHEELS AND TIRES
Wheel size: 7.0 x 17 in
Wheel type: cast aluminum
Tires: Continental SportContact 2, 205/50R-17 93W
Test inflation pressures, F/R: 39/32 psi
Spare: high-pressure compact

Yours CD

Ron3KL
09-06-2004, 06:27 AM
CD, it was just a simple joke about a disrepancy in the spec sheet...

kuku202
02-04-2015, 03:18 AM
For size comparison, has anyone seen what the dimensions of the V50 are going to be?  I am looking at a used 2003 XC70 or a new 2005 V50.  I am expecting to make a choice and purchase one of the two later this year.  So, I am also looking for some opinions and I new exactly where to go.

brissim
02-12-2015, 06:10 PM
For size comparison, has anyone seen what the dimensions of the V50 are going to be? *I am looking at a used 2003 XC70 or a new 2005 V50. *I am expecting to make a choice and purchase one of the two later this year. *So, I am also looking for some opinions and I new exactly where to go.

I'm sorry but have you seen the date on this thread. The V50 was discontinued in 2012 and there is no new V50 coming - ever. The only V50s around are those manufactured between 2005 and 2012.

Tony