PDA

View Full Version : Just cleaned and oiled the leather

1Lieutenant
08-28-2004, 02:49 PM
What a difference a little TLC can make with leather seats.

Just used some materials I got from www.leatherique.com (rejuvenator oil and prestine cleaner...their spelling, not mine) A bit of a different protocol than I am used to but the results are superb.

1. Spray or wipe rejuvenator oil on the leather (do NOT clean the leather first). Put it on fairly heavy and rub into the leather with your fingers.
2. Close up the car for about 2-3 hours (a hot day is preferable).
3. The oil will soak into the leather through capillary action and force out sweat, dirt, etc.
4. Spray with prestine cleaner and wipe with a clean towel.

The leather has a glow to it that is hard to describe, but better than new would be accurate. The seats are soft and clean. The oil does NOT darken even very light leather (I have Taupe). The oil does not transfer to clothing.

I have used Lexol cleaner and conditioner in the past, but it is not even in the same league.

Steve

Tom H
08-28-2004, 04:07 PM
Steve,

This looks interesting. I'm going to give it a try. How much did you use to treat your car. I was checking out the prices and wondering what the most cost effective purchase is. Do they recommend a frequency for treating or is it on a as-needed basis? Thanks for the tip.

Tom

1Lieutenant
08-28-2004, 08:39 PM
Tom,

I have used this system before (not on my Volvo) so I knew what to expect for results. I found the most cost effective is the gallon of each. I use it on the XC, my wife's Lexus and my saddle.

I purchase spray bottles to apply the materials as this seems the most efficient. I used about a pint to do both vehicles (all seats and the side panels on the doors.) I apply the material a bit on the heavy side. The leather will only soak up that which it needs so any excess is just wiped away. If you use too little, the leather is not fully treated.

I apply it twice a year. Once would probably be enough.

Steve

Raynald
08-28-2004, 08:45 PM
Following 1Lieutenant advice, I've use Leatherique on my XC seats last year and treated them three times since then (4 total, last time 3 weeks ago). Great product. Quite expensive but worth it. You may get a look at page 3 of this thread: http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2472&page=3&pp=10 :cool:

I guess frequency depends on climate, temperature, activities and mileage (in other word, time spent in your car). In my neck of the wood, I think summer is worse for leather because of heat, dust and sweat.

It's not toxic, easy to apply it has a very subtile smell and after the treatment, you're left with the natural smell of new leather, as advertised.

The beauty of this product is probably that you can't overtreat the leather.

Once again, I'm a very satisfied customer. http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif