PDA

View Full Version : Thule Terrapin Hitch Cargo Box - Any feedback?

XCscott
08-22-2004, 06:21 PM
Hey everyone,
I am looking for some input or feedback from anyone using a cargo box on their hitch for travel storage. We have been using the Mountaineer for 2 years now, about 16 cubes and it just isn't cutting it with 2 kids and gear. So I'm upgrading to the new 21' Thule roof box, Evolution but am curious about the Terrapin or like hitch boxes. The Thule one "tilts" away from the hatch, but I have seen some in the US markets that "swing" away for much better access to the hatch area. They all seem to hold about 13'-14' or stuff, have built in light packages and plate holders. They all seem to be about $800, plus I need to throw a hitch on the car for another $500. So before I spend, let's have some brutal truth from anyone who is a major pack rat like we are for those 10 day or 2 week family trips.
Thanks.

AWD*V70XC
08-23-2004, 01:03 AM
I think it is all down to a personal choice.

I prefer to tow a trailer, but folks in the States and Canada have different laws on trailers than we do in the UK. My next option would be to have a rear box like you describe, having a tow hitch is not a bad thing, it stops you hitting the wall and scuffing your bumber. I would be afraid of having the roof box because of low flying buildings etc, but you have already tried this and seem to have gotten away without any problems :) Other things to contend with is a larger roof box means more weight and the roof can only support so much :eek: so be careful.

If a trailer was not an option I would have the rear box. I guess it will operate like my cycle carrier, photos in my gallery.

XCharlie
08-25-2004, 02:40 PM
Hi XCscott,

The roofboxes are great.Your cargo-space is doubled! You just have a little more noise inside and you use a little more fuel but it's very easy to handle. The height isn't a problem, jeeps are often higher...

Just keep in mind that you're not overloading it.

for the rest
Greetings,

XCharlie