PDA

View Full Version : 2001 XC70 Waranty

AnthonyMX
08-18-2004, 12:51 PM
Hi everyone:

By way of intro, my name in Anthony and I live in Miami, Florida. My wife and I just became proud owners of a used 2001 Volvo XC70. The car is Metalic Blue with 10,300 miles. Not to toot my own horn but the car is practically brand new with no signs of ware. Everything that came with this vehicle, minus the original key, is still in its plastic baggies, including the spare keys!

We are in love with this car, and are very fortunate that the previous owners took such great care of it. I've learned a bit while reading around, and just when I thought I came out with a winner, I find a lot of you advise not to buy the 2001 models. Well, I still love the car; however, not without some protection.

The car's waranty is currently 4 year, 40,000 mile; which leaves me with roughly a little under a year(I'm guessing). My question is, how would I go about extending the waranty through Volvo(dealer, direct)? What would they need and how could I get the best deal(would you have numbers to compare)? How would I find out what's left on the current waranty?

A big giant THANK YOU to all of you for your input and messages. I've really learned a lot about my car, and look forward to a "major repair" free experience.

Regards,

AnthonyMX

AWD*V70XC
08-18-2004, 02:52 PM
Hi Anthony, welcome along, I think you got something of a winner there :D I guess from your post you did not buy from a dealer. The only difference between then and now is a slight height difference and the dreaded VC as against the Haldex drive system.

As long as you keep the wheel/tire thread difference even on all four you should not have a problem.

With regards to extended warranty I guess you need to just contact your local Volvo dealer and take it from there, as least they can put a face to the car for future visits. It might be also a good idea to get them to do a service shortly so that they can update the VIDAS system to make sure you have all the up to date mods to the car, and they should be able to offer you a range of other 'extras' that all dealers try and sell you ('cause they think you will be a little green and try to make a mint out of you) but I am sure you have read enough on here to make you aware of what is good and not.

Hope you can post some pics of that fine car soon. :D

Phrog
08-18-2004, 03:01 PM
My local dealer just quoted me $2466 US for the 7 year (that is, 3
years beyond the original warranty) extended warranty with a
$200 deductible. This is for a 2001 XC driven ~12k miles/year,
that now has ~37,000 miles.

I haven't yet decided if it's worth it.

Phrog

AWD*V70XC
08-18-2004, 03:25 PM
My local dealer just quoted me $2466 US for the 7 year (that is, 3
years beyond the original warranty) extended warranty with a
$200 deductible. This is for a 2001 XC driven ~12k miles/year,
that now has ~37,000 miles.

I haven't yet decided if it's worth it.

Phrog

I like that deal, if it covers you for everything, considering what I have just had to pay out for, that was not covered by the warranty. You can expect a new radiator, new exhaust, new engine mount, maybe a new ecu, some wheel thingies that go wrong, I think that is a good deal if you have everything covered that they don't already have on their system as current faults.

AnthonyMX
08-19-2004, 06:50 AM
Phrong:

Thank you for the information. At least I have something to work with and I'll know if they 're way off or just a bit short.

AWD*V70XC
Actually, the car came from a dealer. But here in Miami, you have more SUV hungry drivers than you do Wagons. We know it's not practical to have a XC70 in sunny year-'round weather, but my wife and I love things about this car that are beyond the AWD capability. And I will certainly take her in to the dealer as soon as I can. This car has only been services once, since it only had 10K. I have written down the list of things you have mentioned. Again, thank you for you input.

Regarding the "wheel/tire thread difference even", what exactly is that? There are a lot of pot holes and cracks on the roads here. I hope that won't be too much of a hassle.

And thanks for heads up on bumper to bumper. I have read a bit here how warranty's are not covering certain item, beyond the ones that ware out.

Will try to post some pics as soon as I can. By the way , the color isn't metalic blue, it's polarartic (sorry). AnthonyMX

hd70
08-19-2004, 07:19 AM
....and don't forget to read the small print on any contract BEFORE you sign. Don't believe what "seller" tells, have it in writing.

AWD*V70XC
08-30-2004, 01:00 PM
AWD*V70XC

Regarding the "wheel/tire thread difference even", what exactly is that? There are a lot of pot holes and cracks on the roads here. I hope that won't be too much of a hassle.

AnthonyMX

Sorry I missed this reply/question, what I meant was, (if it is still applicable) is, with the early generation drive trains ie VC (Viscous Coupling) it is not a good thing to run any of the tires uneven, that is to say you must try and keep the thread depth equal on all four other wise you could cause problems with the drive train. This problem was eradicated with the introduction of the Haldex system. As long as the thread depth is the same on all four and it does not look like they have just replaced all four tires I would be fairly happy with the purchase.

deccher
08-31-2004, 02:33 PM
AWD*V70XC,

What if they did replace all four tires before purchase? I have a newly aquired 2001 XC with 28,000 miles. When I bought it, the tires still had the "knobies" on them.

AWD*V70XC
08-31-2004, 02:43 PM
I would have expected the tires to last a little longer than 28K, but if you have a new set - well done. That would save me about £400 here in the UK. The only thing you can do is watch them every month or so and see if there is any uneven wear pattern begining to show. If you are not too sure if they are 'balanced' correctly or running straight get it checked by another tire shop. If any uneven pattern starts to appear over the year of warranty ask here again for some more advice of what could have gone wrong to have it corrected within the warranty period.

BTW what were they replaced with, was it like for like ie Pirelli's for Pirelli's (which is standard issue) or have they put something else on?