PDA

View Full Version : Play in transmission ?

trex04
08-17-2004, 09:07 AM
We just received our new 04 XC70 after a two month wait from Sweden. I have only driven it 200 miles since we took delivery. When I start from a stopped position I can feel a very small amount of play in what feels to be the transmisson. I feel the play through the steering wheel. I feel one small engagement then a second right after the first. (Very minimal) I don't feel it when I come to a stop. It does not feel harsh or make noise. I don't know if this is normal. Any suggestions.

hd70
08-18-2004, 02:25 AM
Sounds like I experience the same. I was wondering if it is the AWD system :confused: .
I will check with the dealer the next time I'm there.

jkochis
08-18-2004, 04:05 AM
I know the transmission shifts into neutral when you come to a stop to save on fuel. Also the AWD system may cause a slight delay almost like it clunks a bit into gear. The gas pedal is very sensitive and I have to get use to it after driving my other car, other wise this is more noticable. I also had a VADIS update for the transmission because after a long highway trip 6+ hours I came to a stop and the transmission slipped between shifting gears at slow speeds. They updated the software and it hasn't occured since.

gibbons
08-18-2004, 08:31 AM
You may be feeling the electronic lock up actuating. In the automatic, there is a thingy called a torque converter. It is basically a hydraulic coupler. Since it is hydraulic, not mechanical, is slips. That's good, because it allows you to be "in gear" when the car is stopped with the engine running. And provides a smooth variable ratio within a given gear (somewhat) when accelerating. That's why the transmission doesn't slam-clunk when it shifts. However, when up to constant speed, it still slips, and efficiency drops, and that's bad.

Newer transmissions like ours have an electronic lock up which locks up the converter so it can't slip. So once all the instantaneous operating parameters are right (below a certain percent slip, vaccuum high, above a certain RPM, blah blah blah), the computer locks things up. Then you have essentially the same cruising efficiency as a manual transmission. Modern engineering tricks never cease to amaze me. This is the most entertaining transmission I have ever driven.

So, back to the question, when starting from a stop or after a shift, a very short time later (depending on those parameters), the torque converter will lock up. You can vaguely feel it. So, if you are really perceptive, this 5 speed feels like a 10 speed transmission: shift-lock-shift-lock-shift...... But you have to be really thinking about it to notice. It sounds like you are.

By the way, the transmission doesn't shift into neutral when you stop. Next time you are stopped but in "D", push the shift lever into "N". You will feel a difference.

trex04
08-18-2004, 03:22 PM
Is the VADIS update something I should evern consider as a precautionary thing? How often should I have the dealer check for updates in the software? :confused: