PDA

View Full Version : 2012 XC70 - Sunroof Won't Close

phlegm
05-22-2021, 09:08 AM
Had difficulty finding anything on this, so thought I'd share...

This morning the sunroof wouldn't close completely, and was just slightly dipped at the back. Using the button/slider triggered a motor sound briefly, so it did not seem to be fuse-based. I did disconnect the negative battery terminal in case it was a reset issue, but no go.

Did a search online and checked the manual regarding a way to close the sunroof manually, nothing found. Here's what I eventually did:

1. Pulled down the front lighting/sunroof console. It snaps out cleanly if you pull straight down in a few places.
2. Noticed a 4mm hex opening in the center of the Wabasto motor that is now exposed. It is tough to turn, but did turn, but ultimately did nothing.
3. I then disconnected the power to the motor, and removed the 3 Torx-20 screws holding it in place. It then just drops out. Sure enough, the gear connecting the motor to the sunroof gearing was split in half.
4. With the motor out, I could push on the sunroof to close it the last bit from the inside.

I did find another random post to a V40(?) where a tech described this fail, so I suppose it is somewhat common. They mentioned you can't just get the gear, so need the whole motor. :(

I'll post back with the part #, and how the re-install goes.

As an emergency, if the motor dies (but that gear is intact), you can manually wind the sunroof closed if you have a 4mm hex available.

[Can't post pictures for some reason.]

pbierre
05-22-2021, 04:56 PM
good to know, thx for sharing

phlegm
05-30-2021, 09:39 AM
Just an update. The part number for the motor is 31462798, and it includes that gear, but will cost around $400.

As an alternative, I *think* I've found the gear on ebay, package of 2 for $20:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/184853290337

These listings expire, so the key details are 19 teeth, diameter (tooth-to-tooth) 16.9mm, splines 3.9mm, which pretty much matches my broken example.

May take a month or longer to arrive, so I'll post the results at that point, but certainly worth the wait. (Sunroof is closed at this point, manually.)

phlegm
06-07-2021, 01:42 PM
OK, last update for this.

The 2 gears arrived earlier today, which I found great from China, so kudos to the seller. They seem effectively identical (as far as I can measure to the original). Unfortunately, this may not be a home repair.

This is because the motor shaft/axle (which holds the gear) has a notched end. In other words, it is slightly wider than the hole in the gear, presumably to keep it on. This means you can't slide the gear on, at least I can't.

On the first gear I ever so slightly ground the gear hole wider, just so it could tightly get past the notch, however it then can be pushed off the shaft/axle. When I tried this in the sunroof it worked for a bit, then the gear worked it's way partly off, and started grinding.

On the 2nd gear (you get 2 in this package), I tried heating it up with a torch to expand it, then forcing it onto the shaft/axle. I managed to do with with some solid force, but that ultimately cracked the gear slightly. This one actually worked perfectly in the sunroof, but after a couple of cycles the gear cracked. My fault on that one too.

There may be better techniques to get the gear onto the motor, but I don't know it. Roof closed manually for now, and if we get tired of not having it, I'll try salvage or maybe shell out for new. If anyone has a better fix, plz post.

Sorry I couldn't give folks a better solution. :(