PDA

View Full Version : 2004 CEM replacement?

Kragmeister
06-03-2020, 07:11 AM
Too bad threads cannot be renamed.

I started another thread about the DIM, but it seems that the real problem is my 2004 XC70'S CEM.

Does a CEM require reprogramming? Is it possible to use one from a junk donor vehicle? If reprogramming of a replacement is needed, recommendations where to send it?

Thanks,
Greg

vtl
06-03-2020, 07:30 AM
Few options:

1. Xemodex can clone your old CEM for absurd amount of $$$ (judgeing it by looking at the price of CEM repair, which largely involves one cheap relay replacement).

2. I think VDASH can clone CEM, too: https://d5t5.com/article/vdash-volvo-diagnostic

3. Talk to user yagger at matthewsvolvosite.com

But get a J2534-compatible scanner and read the codes with VIDA first. CAN network in P2 is complex enough to make head scratching diagnostic very unreliable.

hoonk
06-03-2020, 10:27 AM
it seems that the real problem is my 2004 XC70'S CEM.

Does a CEM require reprogramming?

Is it possible to use one from a junk donor vehicle?

If reprogramming of a replacement is needed, recommendations where to send it?

What do you think is wrong with your CEM?

Yes, needs to be coded, is not plug and play from a junk car, and a company such as xemodex can solve your problem - But what do you think is wrong with your CEM?
and what process led you to that conclusion?

If this is in relation to your other thread about headlamp and dashlight problems - I would suggest using VIDA. A scan should give some sort of codes pointing you hopefully in the right direction. Guessing at a odd electrical problem can be a very expensive and frustrating sport.

Kragmeister
08-09-2020, 08:09 AM
Finally got a VIDA DiCE setup on a Windows 7 laptop. Still trying to figure out how to actually use it. So far I've got the following faults

CEM-1A53 Communication with PDM control module Signal missing
CEM-1A52 Communication with DDM control module Signal missing
DEM-0003 System supply voltage, DEM Faulty voltage
SRS-00D5 SRS lamp Communication fault

Nothing though that seems to relate to the lights out in the DIM and radio. Or about the headlight switch not working and the headlights being constantly on and the high beam switch not working.

The SRS ligght came on when I turned on the car without the DIM in place. Cannot figure out how to reset the warning yet.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Greg

vtl
08-09-2020, 08:15 AM
DIM module passes CAN-bus through to some other modules. Broken or missing DIM will raise a pack of CEM communication errors.

Kragmeister
08-09-2020, 08:33 AM
So, we're back to my original assertion in a prior thread that the DIM is shot.

Is it possible to use VIDA to program a replacement, used DIM?

Thanks,
Greg

hoonk
08-09-2020, 09:05 AM
Is it possible to use VIDA to program a replacement, used DIM?

2014d Vida cannot program anything. There are some adjustments you can make with it, daytime running lights, follow me home light interval, service light timing on some cars, seat heat temp, etc. To program a module requires a connection to Volvos magical server - and that requires a subscription to the new Vida from volvotechinfo.com.

And - a Vida subscription cannot program any used module. Only new modules.

A company such as Xemodex can repair or program used modules.

hoonk
08-09-2020, 09:27 AM
SRS-00D5 SRS lamp Communication fault

Nothing though that seems to relate to the lights out in the DIM and radio.

Or about the headlight switch not working and the
headlights being constantly on and the high beam switch not working.

The SRS light came on Cannot figure out how to reset the warning yet.

Srs lamp communication is a common DIM fault,
There may be bad incandescent bulbs in the DIM (don't remember what year they went to all led) , and there may be bad bulbs in the radio (i've replaced many before but was only able to find used ones out of bad radios)

Headlamps are always on because that is the default (headlamps on in the off position, and high beams won't stay on with switch in off position)
You CAN change that so the headlamps have an off position with your Vida. Google flexnoll, and flexstd -

To erase codes click "delivery" on the screen showing all the codes - at the bottom left corner of the screen is "erase all" With a DIM error a srs code might not erase.

vtl
08-09-2020, 10:47 AM
Contact user doublebug@MVS.

vtl
08-09-2020, 10:50 AM
Technically speaking, you can use your Chinese DiCE clone together with VIDA Online. I did that a few times. The software is very buggy and you are risking of bricking the car. This is what I got with wife's 2016 XC60 - VIDA hung amidst software download to KVM module.

You can do everything the dealer can do, just pay money for subscription and software ordering.

Kragmeister
08-11-2020, 06:17 PM
Srs lamp communication is a common DIM fault,
There may be bad incandescent bulbs in the DIM (don't remember what year they went to all led)

My DIM is LED. The gauges are lit properly. The readouts on the bottom are dimmed. I can read them at night, but they are too dim to read in daylight.

I could not find a setting in VIDA for this.

and there may be bad bulbs in the radio

Likely scenario, though I did have the radio display on most of the time, but with intermittent outages. When the DIM displays went dim, the radio display went out altogether.

Headlamps are always on because that is the default (headlamps on in the off position, and high beams won't stay on with switch in off position)

Before the weirdness with the DIM, the headlights were working with daytime running lights on with the switch at 9 o'clock, with the headlights switching on automatically with the light level. At the 12 o'clock position it was headlights on, and the highbeam switch would work as normal.

When the DIM went dim and radio lights went out, the headlight switch stopped working and the headlights are on all the time. The highbeams cannot be normally used in any headlight switch position, I have to hold in the stalk to keep the highbeams on.

You CAN change that so the headlamps have an off position with your Vida. Google flexnoll, and flexstd.

I tried to change this in VIDA. I found the settings, I tried programming all three modes, testing the switch in between. There is no effect whatsoever, headlights still stuck on and highbeams won't normally work with the switch on.

To erase codes click "delivery" on the screen showing all the codes - at the bottom left corner of the screen is "erase all" With a DIM error a srs code might not erase.

This DID work in VIDA. My SRS warning is now off, yay!

*UPDATE* After trying to program the CEM I tried running diagnostics. Shoulda done that first. I'm getting a CEM-1E04 Communication with LSM Control Module Signal Missing. This can be either:

1) bad headlight switch
2) defective CEM
3) fault in the cable between CEM and headlight switch

Thanks,
Greg

Kragmeister
08-21-2020, 10:32 AM
Again wishing I could rename a thread. Armed with VIDA and wiring diagrams I started to try logically troubleshoot my problem.

To recap,the digital instrument displays, and radio displays are out. Headlight switch doesn't work and headlights are always on when the car is on.

After pulling the codes, I concentrated on the headlight switch. Turns out that there is a connector with only 3 wires on the Light Switch Module. I didn't think it was this part since the fuel door button was still working fine. There's a red power wire, green/white signal wire and brown wire. I checked with a meter and found that there was power and signal TO the LSM.

I plugged the cable back in, and turned the car on to check more codes and this time everything was working normally, including the switch! Turned car off and on again, and it was back in fault. Turned off and on a couple of times and still in fault. Disconnected the switch, reconnected and turned the car on. Proper function. Used VIDA to pull codes and the CEM-1E04 code was gone. Turned car off, then on and it was in fault again and the CEM-1E04 code was back.

I checked around the local scrappers for a 2004-ish XC70/V70/S60 and found nothing, so I ordered another LSM off eBay. Hopefully that fixes it.

Then I still have to get a full set of tires and another driver door window and I'll pass inspection. :D

Kragmeister
08-25-2020, 01:58 PM
Final update! VIDA to the rescue. Turns out all the issues were solved by replacing the LSM. The DIM and radio data displays came back up. The headlights now work as they did before. I cleared all the codes with VIDA and none came back that pertained to this problem. WHEW!