PDA

View Full Version : Installing 12V rear power outlet - help

dlr97
08-15-2004, 03:09 PM
This weekend my project was to install the rear 12 volt outlet kit (pn9499014) in our 2004 XC70. It appears the wiring is already in place (blue and black wires with a connector that fits the back of the outlet). I drilled the required hole in the right side panel and connected the two-wire harness that was already there. The instructions say to install in the rear fuse holder (left side under panel) the 15 amp fuse (blue colored) in position 16 and the relay cube in position MA1 (lower right). Position 16 was empty with a blue wire coming out the back, while position MA1 already had a relay installed. I put in the one from the kit anyway (same part number). The relay plugs into the panel and two of the four panel contacts show 12.5 V on my voltmeter.

I'm not getting any power from the outlet. Am I missing something? Can someone who has a functioning rear outlet look at their fuse / relay box and compare to my picture?
Picture here:
http://www.xc70.com/pics/displayimage.php?pos=-4119

I also tried it with the original relay - same result.

Thanks,
Dave

barrysharp
08-15-2004, 10:25 PM
With no key in the ignition I plugged in my cell phone to my '03 XC70 rear 12v outlet and found that the 5th blue 15 amp fuse (position 7) in extreme left column of fuses (above a yellow 20 amp one) was the one that controlled the rear 12v outlet. It's the same height as the one you used (position 16) in the right column of fuses.

However, I see from your photo that you already have the 5th blue 15 amp one in position 7 in the left stack of fuses. Strange. You also have all fuse positions filled!!!!

I have no fuse in position 16. In fact I have fewer fuses than you do in your picture.

I have no fuses in positions 9, 11, 15, 16 and 18.

Can you pull fuse in position 7 and check it to see if it's functional. Also replace it with the one you had placed in position 16 to see if that resolves the problem.

You might also see if ignition key in position I or II causes powwer to flow to the rear 12v.

Post back what you find out.

ifnt420
08-16-2004, 06:27 AM
Is there a VADIS software download needed for this upgrade?:o

dlr97
08-16-2004, 08:56 AM
With no key in the ignition I plugged in my cell phone to my '03 XC70 rear 12v outlet and found that the 5th blue 15 amp fuse (position 7) in extreme left column of fuses (above a yellow 20 amp one) was the one that controlled the rear 12v outlet. It's the same height as the one you used (position 16) in the right column of fuses.

However, I see from your photo that you already have the 5th blue 15 amp one in position 7 in the left stack of fuses. Strange. You also have all fuse positions filled!!!!

I have no fuse in position 16. In fact I have fewer fuses than you do in your picture.

I have no fuses in positions 9, 11, 15, 16 and 18.

Can you pull fuse in position 7 and check it to see if it's functional. Also replace it with the one you had placed in position 16 to see if that resolves the problem.

You might also see if ignition key in position I or II causes powwer to flow to the rear 12v.

Post back what you find out.
The photo is misleading as the blank spots are colored 'light pink' and look like they have fuses inserted. My car had no fuses in positions 9, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16 (before I put the blue 15 amp fuse in), and 18. I will do some more checking on voltages at the fuses. Notice that those positions have no white amp numbers on them. I also just noticed that position 16 has only ONE blue wire going in its right side from the back of panel (no wire on its left side)! So the fuse is doing nothing!

Obviously there have been some wiring changes since the instructions were printed in late 1999.

There is no power to the rear outlet regardless of key position. I'll do some more voltage checking of the other positions.

There have been no reports that VADIS needs to be changed for this kit, and the instructions do not mention VADIS either.

Thanks,
Dave

dlr97
08-26-2004, 11:45 AM
Barry Sharp is correct that the rear fuse for the 12 V rear outlet is No. 7 (blue 15 amp fuse). The instructions (for a 2001) say position 16, but that is non-functional on my 2004. However on my 2004 XC70, there was still no power to the outlet.

To get power, I needed to buy a 'resistor', part number 9442190, a flat rectangular piece with 5 contacts that plugs into the board in the 4th position (of 5). It is marked 'SH3'. There are already 4 of these in the other 5 positions on upper right of the fuse board. Cost: about $7.00 US. All the other wiring was in place already in my car.

See blue arrows in this picture ('resistor' not in place, fuse and relay in place:

http://www.xc70.com/pics/albums/userpics/xc70-rear_12v_outlet_1s.JPG

The resistor p/n 9442190, is identical to the other ones that are installed.

Cheers,
Dave

barrysharp
08-27-2004, 09:53 PM
To get power, I needed to buy a 'resistor', part number 9442190, a flat rectangular piece with 5 contacts that plugs into the board in the 4th position (of 5). It is marked 'SH3'. There are already 4 of these in the other 5 positions on upper right of the fuse board. Cost: about $7.00 US. All the other wiring was in place already in my car.

Cheers,
Dave

Well done and thanks for posting back. :)

Crazy Harry
09-16-2008, 10:16 AM
After five years of owning the car and wanting a 12V outlet in the cargo area, I finally got around to doing it myself. Thanks to this thread the job was even easier. The fuse and wiring were already there, just needed the relay shunt/resistor (Part No. 9442190 just under $6) and the outlet (Part No. 9452379 just under $25). The whole job took just under an hour. No Vadis update required. No need for the outlet kit (supposedly $70 in comparison). The dealership had quoted 1.5 h labour to install the kit and claimed they had to run a wire from the front :confused:? Note: All prices are $Cdn. at the dealership. The outlet is live at all times, so don't leave big loads plugged in!

Thanks again for the detailed posts,

Harold

wrake
09-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Barry Sharp is correct that the rear fuse for the 12 V rear outlet is No. 7 (blue 15 amp fuse). The instructions (for a 2001) say position 16, but that is non-functional on my 2004. However on my 2004 XC70, there was still no power to the outlet.

See blue arrows in this picture ('resistor' not in place, fuse and relay in place:

Cheers,
Dave

I just bought the kit for my 03 XC70 and found this old post. When installing I found that position 16 is the correct position as it is one of three slots in a cluster that is switched via the ignition and the MA1 relay (notice the metal contacts from the thicker blue wire feeding power to three slots). There is only one contact in position 16 (the hot side switched off MA1) because the kit comes with a wire intended to plug in as the second contact for that slot with the fuse bridging the two. The wire connected to the fuse panel leads to the harness to be mounted at the appropriate spot with the black wire to be tied to ground. I did find a wiring harness already behind the panel on the right side but, from what I have read in other posts, I believe that originates from one of the unswitched fuses on the panel and only has power when part 9442190 is installed in the correct spot (SH3 apparently). So it appears one can have a switched or unswitched outlet.

Hope this helps someone.

Will

skibo
09-10-2010, 05:35 PM

Hope this helps someone.

Will

This is possibly the best first post I have ever seen. Nicely done and welcome to the forum.

crimsonv70
10-04-2013, 04:58 PM

Cheers,
Dave

thank you for this! It was driving me CRAZY. Silly Volvo for not telling us this. Also, for those that dont already know, on the back of the side cargo panel there is an indentation in the plastic for the size of the plug you need to drill. Very convenient!

Also, you can get these on ebay for $3-$10 (higher price for brand new) :D

crimsonv70
04-08-2016, 10:37 AM

Cheers,
Dave

Quoting this again because I couldn't find the fuse to replace in my 2004 V70. It is position 7 that blows if there is a problem with the cargo socket. and since that image link went down, I uploaded a new one I took to show what part is needed to make this upgrade work (attached) :)