PDA

View Full Version : should i buy

dokterdenis
08-13-2004, 04:25 AM
verOK, you experienced XC90'ers, i am in a final decision phase to buy a new XC90 D5 + GPS, premium sound, 18" atlantis and alu mesh. Competitor is the VW touareg R5 tip6. Why should i opt for the XC?

Carbsumer
08-13-2004, 06:25 AM
I spent some time comparing these two models.

If you need off-road capability and you're willing to make frequent trips to the dealer for repairs, go with the Touareg. If storage capacity, 3rd row seating, handling, or a good nav system are more important to you, go with the XC90.

I had to stop considering the Touareg when I discovered how many problems people had with it. Do a search for 'lemon' at the Touareg forums:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=39

I can go into more detail about the differences if you care.

Mr. P
08-13-2004, 07:53 AM
http://www.jdpower.com/presspass/pr/images/2004037c.gif

Anyone who buys the VW or the Cayenne, is in for a really tough time. It's a no-brainer. Porsche is on the bottom, due to ONE THING, and it's called the "Cayenne". All the other models Porsche builds, have an almost stellar reputation. The Cayenne may be responsible for driving Porsche into acquisition by someone like Ford. That project has been a disaster for that company, who prides themselves on quality, and their board of director's did it out of pure greed. Sad but true.

Mr. P

Big
08-13-2004, 08:14 AM
verOK, you experienced XC90'ers, i am in a final decision phase to buy a new XC90 D5 + GPS, premium sound, 18" atlantis and alu mesh. Competitor is the VW touareg R5 tip6. Why should i opt for the XC?
Much has been posted comparing the two. Do a search of Volvo and VW forums and you can get all sorts of opinions. They are both fine vehicles but with different design approaches. The Touareg attempts to be sportier; its success is up to you to decide. The XC90 is better balanced in all respects, IMO.

They have roughly similar outside dimensions (Touareg slighty smaller) but the XC90 is much roomier on the inside and, surprisingly, a little lighter. The Touareg uses much of its volume for the engine compartment which allows for some interesting powertrain options. We don't have the diesels in the U.S. so I can't comment on those. In the gas versions the Touareg gets poor mileage.

To me the "feel" of the Touareg's cockpit is angular and cluttered--there are an amazing number of controls and readouts, if you like that sort of thing. Some intriguing options are available like air suspension, locking diffs and a full-sized spare.

As for reliability, well, the Touareg has been a pain for many owners but the second year may be better. When it works it is an appealing vehicle if you like the somewhat specialized design approach.

Botanique
08-13-2004, 10:10 AM
I see you're in Antwerp - so you are probably comparing the XC90 D5 (163ch) to the Touareg 2.5 R5 Tdi 120kw (also 163 ch) although you might be looking at the 174 hp version also. If you are, you may know that Volvo also have a dealer installed ECU upgrade that will take it to 195 ch if you don't mind the higher "Taxe de Mise en Circulation" (sorry, I'm Canadian, so not enough nederlands...). Of course the higher Kw will also mean lower resale/residual.

Issue no. 1320 of the Autogids/Automagazine has a useful comparison of the Touareg and the X5 3.0d. Aside from the reliability issues raised by Mr. P., I find the price of the options on the Touareg absurd. Leather on the excellent Volvo seats is a 1,750 EUR option compared to over 4,000 EUR on the Volkswagen. I mean - were just getting the skins here, not the whole cow!!! Germans...

If you are planning to go seriously off road I guess it would have to be the Touareg - on the other hand, if you want a great ride that can keep you safe in the rain, get you to Courchevel through a snowstorm and still be a nice place to sit while you are stuck on the Antwerp ring road - go Volvo.

If you are interested, I have a pdf of the Autogids review of the D5 and a D5/T6 review I could email to you. These are in french and pre-date the introduction of the 6sp manual transmission on the D5 so you would have to overlook the references to the automatic transmission (unless that is what you are looking at).

Hope this helps.

AWD*V70XC
08-14-2004, 06:11 AM

If you are comparing the Xc90 to the Touareg I would wait and buy the VW. Shortly VW are to release a V10 version of the Touareg and this will knock the socks of everything, including the Porsche and of course the XC90.

Buying a Volvo depends on want you want from life, if you want speed and a level of equipment that only the Germans can produce, then opt for the new V10 VW, but if you want a Volvo for all the reasons a Volvo stands for, then making your mind up is not too difficult.

The comparision chart above was very interesting as I have just driven the new H2 SUT. It might seem like a 'car' but it was more like driving your home office on the inside and looking out , I could only compare it to driving a bulldozer. I would have no hessitation in driving into a house or other non moving object with the H2 as I think whatever I hit would come off the worse. European roads are not designed for any member of the Hummer family and they should stay in desert areas.

novasue68
08-14-2004, 06:54 AM
I must agree...as a member of the US military driving the H2 is like driving a bulldozer. I definitely would not want to drive a Hummer at work and home. They are extremely too loud and just not a lot of fun unless you do a LOT of off-roading.
If you are leaning towards safety features then the XC90 is your vehicle. You can't really go by the manufactureres of the vehicle anymore....you really need to conduct your own reserach.
Good luck and make the choice that fits your lifestyle...not the general populace.

nova

chinnanloh
08-14-2004, 05:12 PM
for me - toureg v10 if I want power and quality, xc90 if I want a 7 seater to lug your family around in safety. I have a 6 in tha family, so it is the xc90 for me. no regrets.

Big
08-14-2004, 09:28 PM
I must agree...as a member of the US military driving the H2 is like driving a bulldozer. I definitely would not want to drive a Hummer at work and home. They are extremely too loud and just not a lot of fun unless you do a LOT of off-roading.
For a really mixed message I'll wait for a hybrid-powered Hummer! http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/evilgrin/evilgrin29.gif

The H2 is not nearly as good of an off-roader as the original Hummer. Bigger, lower, smaller tires, more overhang, lots of cheap plastic, a frame derived from the Suburban. Not a lot to recommend it except as a statement. It has been beaten by stock SUVs in some off-road tests. For the money the Touareg is a much better choice if backcountry travel is in the agenda. And the XC90 is more capable than some give it credit for.