PDA

View Full Version : My Impact Wrench Is Not Strong Enough

Oka
11-03-2019, 10:39 AM

Hello folks,

Since I got this tool, I have never been able to remove any lug nut. I always use a hand wrench to get a lug loose before using this corded impact wrench to fasten the removal or putting back the lug nut. I first notice it when I bought it, it would not remove the bolt holding the car seat belt. I swear, this tool would be as heavy as a Mini Cooper. When I have to do eight or twelve wheels, a powerful impact wrench would come out handy. I would not mind getting me another (better corded) impact wrench.

Thanks

Astro14
11-03-2019, 02:49 PM
Never been impressed with electric impact wrenches. They all used to suck.

In addition to many others, here's what I've got: https://www.ingersollrandproducts.com/en-us/power-tools/products/impactools/2235timax-series.html

A small compressor will power it. It will handle any nut/bolt you throw at it, I promise.

That said, I just got a Makita 18V cordless impact. Makita XWT11Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless 3-Speed 1/2" Sq. Drive Impact Wrench.

It is impressive in its capability. Zips lug bolts on and off with ease. Super light weight. Use it all day long without needing to charge.

If you're willing to pony up (the best is never cheap), then that Makita is a really impressive tool. I already had the 18v batteries for other Makita tools (drivers, drills, recip saw, etc.), so the bare tool was reasonable. About $150. It'll cost more with batteries, but will still handle lug bolts with ease.

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-XWT11Z-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-Cordless/dp/B075P1XDYW/ref=asc_df_B01NCJQH1I/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198099503275&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3956050819231703705&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9008532&hvtargid=aud-801381245258%3Apla-381744276867&th=1

Pennhaven
11-04-2019, 08:27 AM
Yeah. I have an even larger (7.5A) corded Chinese manufactured "Kawasaki" brand impact wrench. While it has yet to fail at removing wheel lugs, it is nothing to brag about. In can take quite a few cycles before a lug breaks free. Not to mention how heavy and bulky it is. So if I am only removing one wheel I still use my old breaker bar and "X" lug wrench. Doesn't take any longer than getting the electric impact driver and extension cord out and putting them away again. It was a "bargain" priced impulse purchase. I would have been better off putting that money towards a a more versatile tool.

juanpen
11-04-2019, 09:49 AM
Years ago I bought this one and it has never failed removing stucks bolts or nuts or crankshaft pulleys. And of course wheel bolts. I do not use it to tighten, and yes, it is heavy and bulky, but it works.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hesselink-PIW-1000-Electric-Screwdriver-Approved/dp/B004BU5UP0

brenglxc70
11-11-2019, 11:30 AM
Your problem is in the lower right hand corner of the 3d photo...

Oka
11-21-2019, 07:54 AM
Your problem is in the lower right hand corner of the 3d photo...

Good point. But it is inevitable in our today's world. What is not made there, even the most important medication is from there.

Oka
11-21-2019, 07:58 AM
I believe I found what works. A friend of mine has an impact wrench I tried last night. It removed, installed and removed all bolts. Really powerful. Though I would use torque wrench to tighten. The wrench is the Dewalt DW292. I will settle with getting one.

Thanks everyone for all your inputs, well appreciated.

Astro14
11-21-2019, 08:28 AM
You can't go wrong with Dewalt tools. I own several.

Oka
11-21-2019, 09:02 AM
You can't go wrong with Dewalt tools. I own several.

Seriously, I was trying to avoid saying for sure one "can't go wrong with Dewalt tools".
I own an Oscillating tool and a friend own some Harmer Cordless Drills, which I have used and boy, they are nice.
Been Googling and looking the best deal. Home depot and Lowes in Anchorage has it but will NOT ship to Alaska.