PDA

View Full Version : Warm start stalling

Celticfred
10-24-2019, 09:40 AM
Recently purchased a 2004 Xc70 in very good shape but having one issue. Car starts and runs perfectly in morning. After driving the ten miles to park and ride, if I shut the car off and try to restart, the idle bounces around and eventually stalls. If I leave the car and return 8 hours later, it starts and runs normally when going home. I can keep the car idling by working the pedal, and can go if I need to by using two feet on brake and accelerator. If I do that car runs normally after about five minutes of driving. Help!

Xfingers
10-25-2019, 05:04 AM
Is the check engine light (CEL) coming on? If so, you can read the stored code(s) for a clue to what the problem is.
Maybe you're having issues with the fuel/air ratio mixture? Are any hoses disconnected or possible air vacuum leaks? A dirty MAF (mass air flow) filter?
Do you know if the PCV system has been serviced or tested? Could your throttle body be dirty?...

Celticfred
10-25-2019, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the response, I'm getting no warning lights or messages. I removed and cleaned the MAF sensor, checked and re-gapped the spark plugs. I have no idea if the PCV system has been serviced but that is definitely on my to-do list as well as cleaning the throttle body. I have looked for vacuum leaks and cannot find anything. My thinking is if there was a leak, it would affect the engine all the time. The fact that this only happens after the initial drive is puzzling. Is there any connection to the disable portion of the alarm system?

Astro14
10-26-2019, 06:13 AM
Sounds like the MAF to me. Cleaning them has never worked for me. I just get a new Bosch one from Amazon or FCP.