PDA

View Full Version : New 04 XC-70 in the garage.

Tom H
08-12-2004, 04:30 AM
I've been hanging around this site for a while and finally became official last night when we purchased our MY04 XC-70, Ash Gold, Premium, Touring, Booster Seats. What a nice ride it is. Looks great next to the wife's 04 S60, Ash Gold w/same option packages. A Couple of minor problems already but I'm sure the repairs or adjustments are straight forward.

The tailgate handle feels loose or out of adjustment. Have to press it very hard to get it to release and in turn it has to be closed pretty firmly to get it to latch shut. Didn't notice it in the test run but I clearly remeber how solid the handles felt on other XC-70s while I was in the research phase. I also noticed (thanks to the postings on this site) that the rear door is slightly mis-aligned to the right which may lead to paint wear on the door edge.

Next I noticed during the 30 mile trip home that my trip computer was confused and telling me that my average speed was 9 mph when in fact it was mostly 60 to 70 mph highway driving. The average mpg was reading extremely low also so this may indicate a bad sensor or input to the computer.

All-in-all these are minor issues and I am initially very pleased with the feel of the car. There was was a very noticble difference in switching from my Toyota Highlander (trade-in) to the XC.

jkochis
08-12-2004, 06:08 AM
Congrats on new ride.

Try to reset the trip computer and see how it works. It could be that it was never reset and averaged items like average speed and average mpg may take more miles to increase (although 30 miles should have moved both of them some). What mpg does the instant read? I do recall some VADIS updated for trip computer and that may be what is needed. Do some searching to see what you can find.

I needed to get a VADIS update for the transmission. After a long period of driving 8+ hours on highway it felt like the transmission slipped a few time. The did some transmission update to the software and it has not happend again.

chuckyg
08-12-2004, 07:19 AM
regarding the rear hatch...
I just purchased an xc70 last week. totally stoked on this car, now I have to pry it from my wife's hands!
but the front door, drivers side, did not close all they way, about a quarter inch gap. I brought it in the next day. all they had to do was adjust the latch. there are 3 indicator lines on the latch and it was set to the wrong line. open the front door, look to the right on the door jam. see if the rear hatch has the same setting deal. obviously i am not too articluate describing this but if you look close you will figure it out.
congrats on the new purchase.

barrysharp
08-12-2004, 08:03 AM
Hey - welcome. :)

You've made an excellent choice. Enjoy your new ride. :)

The rear hatch not being aligned properly leading to premature paint scuffs (especially on right lower edge where it can contact the bumper) is a common complaint. I've had my service dept look into resolving this twice and they've yet to come up with a solution. The test is to place two pieces of paper (ie thickness of two pieces of paper) between hatch edge and the bumper as the hatch is closed. If the paper is pinched and can't be removed easily then paint scuffing is very likley to occur. It's seems to be a tough problem to solve. The hatch materiel isn't steel so there's really no danger of rust -- it just looks bad and can be annoying to see. The bumper will also show signs of being impacted by the hatch edge if you see a whitish vertical line in the contact area.

I'm sure the computer readouts will either correct themselves after a few miles, and if not Dealership should have no problem correcting it in short order.

You have 12months/12,000 miles to have all the fit & finish items that need fixing done under warranty.

Good luck. :)

Tom H
08-12-2004, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the quick replies. I love the feel and features of this car! :D :D . I was able to resolve the trip computer issue by resetting as you guys suggested. What I didn't catch was that in order to reset I had to hold the reset down for 5 to 10 seconds. The manual just says to press the reset button. The delay makes sense so it doesn't get accidently reset by a quick touch. Also, I quickly came to understand that the reset was on a per function basis and not a global rest. The manual didn't clarify this. All is well now and it works prefectly just like on the S60.

chuckyg....Great tip. I will look into this today. If I don't find obvious alignment marks I will run it down to my local dealer and get it taken care of. I do like to do things myself whenever I can as long as I don't go far enough to risk voiding my warranty.

barrysharp....I'll try the paper test today. Good way to know if your safe from paint wear or not. I wonder if either the door it'self or the rear bumper can be nudged a bit. I'll have to do a search but I thought someone posted earlier that the dealer was able to make an adjustment to solve this issue.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome. Like I said, I've been lurking around here for a while and posted a few times but now I feel official. Next step is join VCOA.

gibbons
08-12-2004, 04:01 PM
My hatch scuffed a bit on the right side, so I just moved the "catch" (some call it a strike) a bit to the left which fixed it. All it takes is the right Torx drivers, I don't recall the T number, though.

hd70
08-13-2004, 03:16 AM
Reset procedure.

To "TomH": I noticed the same when we got our car in June but I "played" around with the reset button and I noticed when I hold it even longer than the 5-10 seconds, it will reset both settings - mpg and mph. Give it a try.