PDA

View Full Version : ipod

newv70xcmom
08-11-2004, 09:50 AM
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestion on what is the best way to intergrate an ipod. I was told that some people retro fit the power adapter. Has anyone had any experience or suggestions on how you use your mp3 player in the XC :D

Litster
08-11-2004, 10:59 AM
I use iTrip. The sound quality is not that good. But the road and engine noises mask out the static most of the time. So it is acceptable. As for power you can get a Belkin iPod car adapter. I have seen the car adapter at CompUSA and Target. CompUSA also sells the iTrip for $30, about $5 cheaper than other stores I've seen.

barrysharp
08-11-2004, 12:23 PM
I use iTrip with my iPod/HU803 and use 89.9 FM in my Seattle Area and surrounding areas and get acceptable music quality. For $30 it's the way to go until Volvo provides AUX IN in future models such as late 2005. :)

NeuDaddi
08-11-2004, 01:41 PM
Maybe I am behind the times, but I just use a cassette adapter for my iPod. I enjoy music, but I guess I don't care that much about perfect sound quality. Truth is, I think the XC70 has a little too much road noise, compounded when I use a roofbox, so I don't see the point in going nuts about getting the best possible sound out of my iPod. I don't rip the music at the highest quality possible, either.

Maybe I am just lame.

Litster
08-11-2004, 01:55 PM
Cassette adapter has a higher fidelity then FM transmitter. Cassette adapter's quality is actually very close to AUX line in. FM's stereo separation is pretty weak. The optimal FM frequency is between 98 to 103, from reading some iPod sites. That's why there are so many radio stations in this range.

barrysharp
08-11-2004, 03:29 PM
Maybe I am behind the times, but I just use a cassette adapter for my iPod. I enjoy music, but I guess I don't care that much about perfect sound quality. Truth is, I think the XC70 has a little too much road noise, compounded when I use a roofbox, so I don't see the point in going nuts about getting the best possible sound out of my iPod. I don't rip the music at the highest quality possible, either.

Maybe I am just lame.

I understand your position. I have to say though, that when you turn the volume up to drown out the car's road noise and noise from air turbulence the music sound quality becomes far more important. The difference in music sound quality between playing a CD and iPod/iTrip at high volumes is very noticeable to me.

jgoldsmith
08-13-2004, 10:40 AM
Cassette adapter has a higher fidelity then FM transmitter. Cassette adapter's quality is actually very close to AUX line in.

Really? I got an iTrip because I was dissatisfied with the cassette adapter.

newv70xcmom
08-13-2004, 12:22 PM
The person I talked to at the Apple Store says that she uses the cassette adapter and the power connecter at the same time. She seems to think that the power adapter has a small hole where sound comes out and can be used similar to a tweeter

asilverm
08-13-2004, 02:36 PM
newv70xcmom-
i've used both. we have a 2004 XC70 with both a single CD and a cassette. The easiest arrangement I've found is the Belkin auto charger which has a 3.5mm (standard mini earphone) jack which a cassette adapter can plug into. The charger plugs into the bottom of an iPod (3rd gen, 4th gen or mini). The Belkin has it's own volume dial so you can adjust the output so that it's approximately the same volume as the radio and CD.
Our other car only has a radio and a 6-CD changer. In this case, and FM transmitter (like the iTrip) is the only way to go. I live around LA and the problem is there are too many radio stations and the iTrip transmission is too weak. Plus, It's difficult to go through the iPod's display to change stations if you get too much interference and you still need a seperate charger.
I switched to a DLO TransPod. The iPod slides into it, it charges the iPod, displays the FM frequency being transmitted, and the station can be switched using 2 buttons on the side. And it is much more powerful (I've never had to switch the station since I bought it).
So that's my 3 cents. hope it helps.

barrysharp
08-13-2004, 06:11 PM
The http://griffintechnology.com/products/roadtrip/ Griffin RoadTrip might help ease the pain in dialing in a new frequency. Just a thought for those in areas where all frequency being used etc.

ritchj
08-15-2004, 04:37 PM
I know I've posted on this before, but the ICELINK which is supposed to make the head unit think the iPod is a CD changer didn't work on my '02 - and I'm still ticked I had to eat the fright both ways. Just beware....search for prior discussions?

maddocmuc
12-15-2004, 11:40 PM
Orininal reply was today from German icelink distributor:

Hallo,

Volvo ist derzeit nicht anzubinden.

kind regards/Mit freundlichen Gruessen
Torsten Imberg

Digitalnomade
Rellinghauser Str. 107
45128 Essen

which means: forget it.

Lawrence Lee
01-10-2005, 10:51 PM
Recently I brought the Graffin RoadTrip FM transmitter for my Ipod in the XC. I am very satified with the clear quality transmission although it cannot be compared with a CD sound quality.

With the convenience and can forget about the CD changer.... IMHO, it is a good choice.

Cheers!

FJS_Eriksson
01-14-2005, 11:21 AM
Hi, I am new here... Though I have an Ipod and would like to ask if someone have some links to some webshops in the US that deal Ipod-stuff... Like this one:

www.everythingipod.com

Someone that have more links to shops like this one?

Best regards

P Eriksson

littlewaywelt
01-14-2005, 12:20 PM
check out
http://www.ipodlounge.com
you can find a ton of stores through them.
their buyers guide 2004 pdf file is pretty good as well.

Francisd
01-14-2005, 02:23 PM
http://www.prweb.com/releases/2005/1/prweb197110.htm

Continuing an earlier post I made about mini itx systems for cars.

Rozinante
01-15-2005, 03:13 PM
Has anyone used Griffin Technology's new SmartDeck "Intelligent Cassette adapter for iPods?"

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/smartdeck/index.php

It looks interesting.

asilverm
01-16-2005, 08:59 AM
the Smartdeck looks great. i'm also curious if it works. since i've never used anything in the cassettes deck besides an adapter to play my iPod, do the steering wheel controllers control the cassette deck as well as the CD player and radio (as I assume they do)?

eraas
01-17-2005, 10:28 AM
do the steering wheel controllers control the cassette deck as well as the CD player and radio (as I assume they do)?

On my way into work this morning (listening to an iPod through a Sony cassette adapter) I checked this - the steering wheel controls do indeed tell the tape deck to do a 'Next' or 'Previous', so this should work with the Griffin product (thanks for posting this! I'd seen it but didn't realize it provided Next/Prev functionality).

I had a BlitzSafe adapter on our 850 - this worked fine and because of the more direct connection I think the sound quality is certainly better than what you get via the cassette (which is better than FM or nothing!). BTW to my ears the sound system on the old 850 was *much* better than on our XC70 with the 650 stereo, although we had the Premium Sound option on the older car.

Ironically, while I think the iPod is great, I actually prefer burning CDs which I don't have to worry about losing or dropping and makes less clutter in the car. I put the BlitzSafe in because as our 850 aged the CD player would start to get balky when the car heated up during prolonged driving. I also had a similar problem with the Tape deck. This was really annoying on long trips as after about three hours there would be no entertainment but the radio! It really seemed like the area behind the dash would get quite hot and somehow (thermal expansion?) force the mechanism of the CD and Tape out of whack. Seemed to be a common thing as I also experienced it on rental cars on a regular basis. Hope it will not be a problem in our XC70!

barrysharp
01-17-2005, 10:51 AM
Ironically, while I think the iPod is great, I actually prefer burning CDs which I don't have to worry about losing or dropping and makes less clutter in the car. I put the BlitzSafe in because as our 850 aged the CD player would start to get balky when the car heated up during prolonged driving. I also had a similar problem with the Tape deck. This was really annoying on long trips as after about three hours there would be no entertainment but the radio! It really seemed like the area behind the dash would get quite hot and somehow (thermal expansion?) force the mechanism of the CD and Tape out of whack. Seemed to be a common thing as I also experienced it on rental cars on a regular basis. Hope it will not be a problem in our XC70!

My MY2003 XC70's HU-803 radio faceplate gets very hot after extended use and the 4-disc CD player does exhibit odd behavior at times - such as a short-lived slight buzz in rear right speaker! This anomaly usually only occurs after the HU has been on for an hour or so. I can't say for sure if it becuase of the "thermal expansion" issue you mention or the CD itself or even the speaker.

AWD*V70XC
01-18-2005, 03:42 PM
To build on the story we brought you the official word from Volvo that they will offer two options for iPod connectivity across their 2005 model line-up. One type of adapter offered in the S60, S80 and V70/XC70 models features the glovebox connector similar to the one used in BMW’s but unlike that set-up Volvo’s will allow you to select tracks and control volume from steering wheel controls. Unfortunately the S40, V50 and XC90 will use a dashboard mounted FM modulator adapter. But on the upside Volvo will feature custom playlists on iTunes featuring today’s “best” Scandinavian artists. Pricing for either adapter hasn’t been announced yet.

tenmiler
01-19-2005, 01:27 PM
i'd noticed that my hu-803 changer is prone to skipping a lot when it's cold outside, even when the vehicle is at a stop. when it warms up to about 30 or so, the same song that didn't skip runs fine. maybe causal, dunno..

tmaxa
02-08-2005, 05:54 PM
here is the best news in a long time for ipod usershttp://www.volvoxc.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=450&stc=1

adamc
02-09-2005, 11:39 AM
here is the best news in a long time for ipod usershttp://www.volvoxc.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=450&stc=1

Yeah, it's great news if you already have an iPod, but don't have a Volvo. Personally, I'm the exact opposite. I already have the Volvo, and want to get an iPod.

Dr Fonta
02-09-2005, 03:51 PM
So I'm guessing that only the 05 models will be able to have this installed?

Oh well, I guess I should trade in for a new one anyway....LOL..just kidding