PDA

View Full Version : Geartronic or manual

LaneNL
07-31-2004, 01:53 PM
Hi there,

I've bought a XC70 D5 MY 2005 summum with mobility line.
Before august the 5th I've to decided whether it will be a Geartronic or MT.
I like to know about experiences (especially from those who experienced them both). I will not be a hardcore user. Probably often in traffic jams.
I'm curious.

Lane

John@CdnRockies
07-31-2004, 03:30 PM
We have switched from a lifetime of manual transmissions, switching for the first time to geartronics in our Mercedes and Volvo. I would be reluctant to return to a manual except for a flat-out sports car.

The geartronic in the Mercedes is flawless - can hardly tell when the car shifts. The Volvo is not as smooth, but it has certainly performed without a problem thus far (8,000 km). Keep in mind that early model year VXC70 Volvos required software updates to their geatronics (check the "Search" feature on this board for more info). This has now been resolved. Ours was fine and we are very happy in making the selection.

We often switch to the "manual" mode on the geartronic, but having the automatic capability is very handy. If I were living in Holland and wound up in one of the "files" (did I spell that correctly in Dutch?), the geartronic wound be an ideal solution. While 0-60mph acceleration suffers somewhat, I have seen little deterioration on gas mileage (we are averaging 8.6 ltrs per 100 km).

Willy
07-31-2004, 04:07 PM
Hi,
Before ordering, I made a test drive with a D5 Geartronic. I didn't like it at all, but as already mentioned, it seems that things are improved (although I already drove a my2004). The hesitation at a standstill before the car finally starts to move is not to my liking, neither was the fact that at some regimes the car couldn't decide what gear to choose, it kept going from one to another at times. As you could alreay guess, I decided on a manual transmission (and the 2.5T engine as well) although I was almost sure to go for the GT since an automatic transmission is very nice to have in the belgian traffic.
Willy

XC70Viking
08-01-2004, 12:22 AM
I've had manual tranny's on all my other cars, but with my XC I didn't have a choice. It was not sold with manual. Now there is a choice, 6speed manual I belive.

Even the GT have some glitches, I can live with those as I am not a "hardcore user" too. Unfotunatly I can not compare this GT with other AT's since I haven't owned one before, but I am satisfied with the GT.

I have read an article somewhere that a test driver of the manual tranny did't like it. Bottom line is that poeple are different with different likings.

My advice, for traffic jams and layed back driving= GearTronic:D

harrynato
08-01-2004, 03:06 AM
I had my XC70 D5 Geartronic delivered two weeks ago. Personally I am convinced that D5 with Geartronic is the ideal combination. It is smooth and problem-free for me. You mentioned that you will be spending lots of time in heavy traffic. No doubt you will love the Geartronic. In my experience the XC70 invites to develop a very relaxed driving style. The Geartronic adds to that experience. Do not hesitate - go for the Geartronic!

ifnt420
08-01-2004, 04:23 AM
I will not be a hardcore user. Probably often in traffic jams.
I'm curious.

Lane
You do not want a MT when you are in Traffic, trust me.
I am glad I got a Auto. :D
Can you imagine driving through this in a Stick everyday...:eek:

http://www.murraycreek.net/elliottj/travels/highlights/taiwan/01_taipei_traffic.jpg

cbob
08-01-2004, 11:53 AM
WoW :eek:

ifnt420, that's quite the comute. Reminds me of my recent trip to Seoul, except that all those scooters would be CARS there. :D

A comment from Willy prompts a reminder that those "regimes the car couldn't decide what gear to choose" are EXACTLY what the Geartronic is for. You get to chose a gear to stay in, and shift up/down/back to auto when the condition permits. I like it particularly for twisty uphill passing situations. It's fun to watch the auto equipped vehicle beside you shift up, losing all its torque/speed as the driver lifts his foot off the go peddle in the corner (tut, tut), or the manual driver searches for the right gear. Or maybe that Boxster driver last week just got the car from Daddy and hasn't figured it out yet. :rolleyes:

My last vehicle had a 5-speed manual gearbox, and a big torquey motor, and that meant it was just sitting in 5th gear 99.9% of the time when I was not in traffic. In traffic, it was a B**CH to be in/out of 1st gear and on/off the clutch for the entire comute.

I find that my 2002 XC has more than enough power (more so I'd guess for the higher HP later MYs) to benefit from the automatic, and the Geartronic gives you a nice handful of options to use for the occasional special situation.
Like that corner you just had to brake for, and now need that lower gear to dig out from. :cool:

And if you really need the "excitement" of shifting a manual, well, I wish I had a video of the 2nd gear u-turn I pulled on the Squeamish Highway during our PNW tour. :eek: :rolleyes: :D

ifnt420
08-01-2004, 09:11 PM
WoW :eek:
In traffic, it was a B**CH to be in/out of 1st gear and on/off the clutch for the entire comute.

Hi Cbob,

I know what you mean, my friend has a 6spd S60R and he got so tired of modulating 1st gear stop and go, he now starts from 2nd gear despite what we've been telling him. :eek:

I guess that's why Volvo Car Taiwan only sells GT V70R here. :o

Cheers