PDA

View Full Version : A Compass That Works For Xc70

Wodengolfer
07-31-2004, 08:21 AM
After searching this site and doing some on line investigating, I found the PNI V550 form autogeek.net. It installed in no time on the windshield with the enclosed suction cups. Calibration was easy too. I just followed the instructions and now we have a real great compass in the wife's Volvo. I got a great price also! It is currently on sale for $ 24.95 Make no mistake this is a real digital compass with the same technology used in the Autos that come with a compass. Too bad Volvo had not hooked up with a compass in the rear view mirror like everyone else, although my dealer said there is a Volvo model with such a mirror but it won't retro fit our cars. :)

John@CdnRockies
07-31-2004, 03:32 PM
Thanks Woodengolfer. The lack of a compass is one of the very few things that I miss in our XC70. Will check it and probably add this to the list.

kersti
08-17-2004, 11:45 AM
I took your advice and bought one. It works great and nicely fits low on the window in the middle notch.

kersti

Tom H
08-17-2004, 12:41 PM
Great news. Can anyone post some pics of the installation?

Ab_Fab
08-17-2004, 03:58 PM
Sorry to ask a simple question,

But why would you ever want a compass in a car? Surely road signs etc are good enough to understand which way you are going.

Cheers

Ab_Fab

newv70xcmom
08-17-2004, 03:58 PM
Just what I was thinking. Could you show some pics :D

Morvran
08-18-2004, 03:30 PM
Sorry to ask a simple question,

But why would you ever want a compass in a car? Surely road signs etc are good enough to understand which way you are going.

Cheers

Ab_Fab

The only road signs that will tell you which way you're headed are state routes and the like. If you're trying to navigate through local roads or country/back roads, a compass can come in real handy to let you know if you're still going the way you want to be going. Unless you live in a city with a cut and dry perpendicular grid system, a compass is very handy to have. ;)

AWD*V70XC
08-18-2004, 03:45 PM
Is this what you were looking for.

newv70xcmom
08-18-2004, 04:34 PM
If you have a digital camera I would be interested in seeing how it looks installed in the volvo

AWD*V70XC
08-18-2004, 04:50 PM
I found the PNI V550 from autogeek.net. It installed in no time on the windshield with the enclosed suction cups. Calibration was easy too. I just followed the instructions and now we have a real great compass in the wife's Volvo. It is currently on sale for $ 24.95 :)

You must have seen the photo of it in my previous post, and as Wodengolfer said it just sticks to your windshield with the provided suction cups. If it is that easy there is no need for photos of it in the car as you can have it anywhere you want, there are no wires, it just runs off a battery so it doesn't matter where you have it no two photographs are going to be alike, just put it where it suits you best.

Unless you live in the outback and have a need for it, it is just a cheap nasty bit of plastic that adds nothing to your car, in fact it is the sort of thing boy racers have on thier dash along with the go faster stripes.

kersti
08-18-2004, 09:51 PM
It can be used in the car or your hand, but requires calibration when moved. Be sure to drive your calibration circles clockwise. I tried it the other way and it did not calibrate.

Kersti