PDA

View Full Version : Updates and Changes to my '02 Venetian Red

ritchj
07-28-2004, 09:37 PM
I drive a lot, and get tired of looking at the same steering wheel about every 18 months. So I sold my XC, even to the point of taking it to a shop for a pre-purchase inspection for the new guy - until my wife asked what I was really doing and questioned my sanity....

I figured that Jesse James wouldn't touch it, and MTV wouldn't be interested in 'Pimping My Ride,' for a middle aged guy, and I didn't want to sink a bunch of money into it (wife agreed to add a fun car to our collection if I didn't sell it.)

Two weeks later, here's what I've done: I've fallen back in 'love' with the car. I had the wheels powder-coated satin black and the new Scorpions installed (45k on the first set can't complain), tinted the tail lights (VERY illegal - but with kids speeding in Acuras and Mustangs why bother a Volvo wagon?) I had the windows done immediately after buying the car.

I also manufactured a steel mesh grill, removed the logo stuff (including my volvoxc.com sticker- although I do have a spare) and a temporary light bar that mounts behind the front license plate- trying to reach the supplier in Sweden. For the grill I took detailed photos of each step if anyone is interested. I can add some more photos - maybe of the whole thing at one time. I'm going to try and get the lower openings done soon.

I also primed the old grill with plastic primer and painted it black - just in case the mesh grill was too ugly/ricer/ or just dumb looking.

In total, the car looks 'mean,' for a lack of better words. I should be good for another 18 months...

Thoughts? Comments? Want more pictures?

To preempt questions:

Powder coating - it is thick enough so a couple of scratches disappeared. The wheels are factory PC silver, so they were bead blasted then coated. This took about two weeks, and was $300. Yes it was on jack stands the entire time. Modern PC is amazing, clear, candy color clear tints to coat polished items, different textures, I was amazed - my source had over two hundred colors available. Find a shop hat does race cars and HD's - they're happy to work with you.

Dismounting the old tires, and mounting the new ones, with tape weights was a huge hassle. Tire Rack was cheapest place for the tires, but I feel that my local tire shop charged a 'punishment,' rate to mount and balance the new ones. Dismount $40, and two weeks later mount and balance $112!!! It was $50 for the tape weights! I will not return to Big-X tires.....

Lug Nuts: sanded and painted 4-5 coats with satin BBQ paint to deal with the heat. Powder Coating is too thick for the lug wrench to work. Spray paint isn't that strong, so after installation I touched them up with a Sharpie. $5 for the paint.

Taillight tinting: I found spray on window tinting at Summit Racing, and after cleaning with alcohol sprayed two very slow and even coats. Because I abut agricultural land and I had wood projects to complete, I was worried about the dust so I removed the taillights rather than taping the car. Light removal was a lot of fun - NOT! I took lots of photos there too - just ask. $9 for the tint plus shipping.

Grill: Expanded steel from my favorite home improvement center, a buck made from plywood, and some 2X4's, a hammer, metal grinder, and a lot of patience! $25 for the metal, $2.50 for the blade, and about $7 for the primer and paint.

Light mount: Aluminum 'L,' with four holes, two for the lights, and two to fit the plate bracket. Aluminum was a scrap but should be about $8, two 1 inch nylon washers and two long metric bolts $4.50.

edwa
07-29-2004, 08:55 AM
There ya go! Ingenuity and a little effort and your ride feels not only like new but stands out from the pack.

The grill is cool, I had been thinking along similar lines wishing I could change over to the look of a sporty model Jag XJ (don't remember the trim name) that has the black honeycomb grill.

With much frustration I've been trying to modify the front skid plate. I wanted to make a casting mold of the plastic bumpers lines where it continues up and under the license plate - similar to how the 05 XC will look. But everything I've tried has failed.

http://www.xc70.com/pics/albums/userpics/normal_Volvofrontvs2web.jpg

Art
07-29-2004, 05:35 PM
Wow, what are the odds RitchJ! Spotted this during a quick run to Calgary today. Seems like the owner of this ash gold XC had the same idea. How cool is that? :cool: Either that or he/she hasn't bother cleaning the brake dust off of their wheels! ;) :D :p

Your car looks great BTW!! Just like you'd see it in a spy photo. :cool:

http://www.xc70.com/pics/albums/userpics/XC%20with%20PC%20Wheels%20%28Side%20View%29.jpg
http://www.xc70.com/pics/albums/userpics/XC%20with%20PC%20Wheels.jpg

ifnt420
07-30-2004, 06:15 AM
Hmm, I wonder if its possible to refinish the Tellus into the same finish as the
"Black Edition" XC70.:)
It looks like a Satin finish.

http://www.xc70.com/pics/albums/userpics/XC70%20Black.jpg

HeadXC
08-05-2004, 04:40 AM
Throw a wing on and you will be even happier.