PDA

View Full Version : Tailgate noise

Big Al
07-25-2004, 05:44 PM
Anyone experiencing noise from the tailgate? This is a sort of creaking...not really squeaking...most noticible at slow speeds over minor road bumps and cracks. Really annoying!!! Not noticible during highway driving. Clues?

bigtomhammer
07-26-2004, 06:01 AM
I had a kinda creaking/squeaking noise as well and it turned out to be the rear seat where it connects to the pin that locks it in place. They greased the area and haven't had a problem since. Try laying the seat down and see if that helps or is the problem.

Have also heard of peoples tailgates rubbing against the bumper on the corner of the gate. Check to see if it is rubbing there as well.

Tom

luluna
04-13-2007, 10:46 AM
I too am getting that squeaking or rattling at the tailgate but don't have a 3rd seat nor is the bumper rubbing - I too would love a fix if there are any other suggestions out there.

mbsl98
04-13-2007, 11:55 AM
If you are pretty sure it is from teh tailgate, first thing I would do is tighten up the latch to be sure that the tailgate if being firmly held against the rubber seals. Just adjust the U-shaped striker by loosening it slightly, then pushing it forward toward the front of car slightly, refasten and try. Keep doing this until it won't quite latch without slamming, and then back off just enough to avoid slamming to close.

Aviator
04-13-2007, 02:34 PM
At each of the bottom corners of the tailgate opening you should see what looks like a piece of Scotch tape only it is shaped a bit like a boomerang. These mate up with rubber bumpers or lugs on the inside sheet metal of the tailgate. The rubber creaks on these pieces and it is such a low frequency that it sounds like a knock. Put a dab of Vaseline on each of the rubbers where they make contact with the tape pieces, and then take the car for a test drive. You'll be astonished at the difference. I've done it to all the rubber pieces on my car and it is substantially quieter. You don't realise all the noises you have/had until you eliminate them all with one fell swoop !!!

Dave.

ovlovpumpkin
04-21-2007, 03:24 PM
i had the same problem with my 01 and it ended up being that the outer layer of metal had come unglued from the interior layer. it's hard to explain without a photo, but you could pull back the metal and look inside the rear hatch even leaving the plastic door panel on. i just applied some gorilla glue inside and it solved it. no more noise at all.