PDA

View Full Version : Rear center armrest

birddog
07-25-2004, 11:35 AM
Wondering if anyone has used the center backrest of the rear seat as an armrest for any extended period of time as described in the owner's manual? I would like to do this, but am wondering if any long-term used would damage the leather on the seat? :confused:

Once before I had the cargo area folded flat for almost a week and the rear seat's headrests left marks on the seatbacks once they were returned to the normal upright postion. Some of the marks still remain there today. :(

Art
07-25-2004, 05:21 PM
Birddog,

I went ahead and removed the child restraint anchorage so that the armrest lies flat on top of the center seat section. I also equipped the XC with the rear seat divider to help prevent any objects from being thrown forward in case of sudden stops. :eek:

We utilize the full cargo area (seats folded down) on a frequent basis and noticed the same type of depressions/marks that you referred to in your previoius post. It becomes even worse when any type of weight is placed on top of them. :( To avoid this, I've found that covering the seatbelt receptacles and surrounding metal with a thick cloth helps to diminish such marks.

Let me know if you come up with a better solution. :)

birddog
07-25-2004, 06:28 PM
Thanks Art! ......didn't know the anchors were that easily removed. Looks like it shouldn't harm the leather, but I folded a golf towel up and put it underneath just to make sure. I'll have to look into the seat divider. Not sure that I like the opening there either.

Thanks for the tips!

Mike