PDA

View Full Version : Brand new 2004 XC70 -problems

bondmom
07-18-2004, 03:36 PM
JUST took possession of new vehicle. Driving home already have a few problems.

1. Going above 65 mph, the car vibrates visibly. :mad:

2. Have the touring package. Windows are tinted in rear seat and cargo area. The tinting in the cargo area looks good from the inside and out. However, the tinting in the rear seats looks bluish and foggy when looking out of the car. The tint appears to be a different quality between the 2 sections. My old Volvo and my new Lexus have tinted windows and I don't have that foggy look. Has anyone else had this issue? It's hard to believe it would be normal to look foggy. Do you think it was installed badly? :mad:

We'll be going back to the dealership which doesn't excite us since we just got the car. Would love to hear your thoughts and opinions.

Thanks!

AWD*V70XC
07-18-2004, 03:53 PM
I guess you vibs could be due to incorrectly balanced wheels or air pressure, although air pressure would lead to dragging to one side while driving. My guess is the weights have become dislodged and then you will feel the vibs. You could check the wheels and see if there is any scuffing around the rim which would indicate that the wheels have been mistreated. I would not recommend you drive a such high speeds again until you have this sorted out. If it were easy you could try moving the rears to the front and seeing if that makes any difference.

With the tinting, do you have sheet tinting or paint (or is it treated glass) if you has sheet tinting I would think it has only been applied and not been given time to dry out. In any case your vision should not be impaired to the extent that you are seeing blurred images.

As both of these are on a newish car you should be able to get them fixed under warranty. Before you go back to the dealer check out the rest of the car for other problems, better to have one decent trip to thew dealer than a load of little ones.

BTW welcome to the site and please fill in your location in your control panel so that we know what area you are living in. ;)

NauticCruiser
07-18-2004, 08:19 PM
The tinting on the rear doors definitely has a different tint to it, somewhat of a foggy appearance when looking at if from the outside.

edwa
07-18-2004, 10:15 PM
Althought the dealers try to correctly prep their cars they often fall short of the mark. When I took possesion of my 04 XC I turned around within the first 10 miles and told them the alignment was off and that the car was hard to keep in place at hight speeds. They wanted to give me a lesson on the effects of the crown of the road on car direction. Finally, they put it back on the rack and made adjustments.My problem was still not solved. I took it back a second time. They said they made more adjustments. The problems still weren't solved. Finally, I took the car to another dealer and asked for a service technician to drive tit with me. He didn't think I had any major problems but suggested having a Volvo field rep come and take it for a drive. When we got back to the shop we tried to make a reservation for the field reps time. The manager said first we have to run our own tests so they put it on the rack. This time I learned each wheel's toe in and toe out was wrong and the alignment and tire balances all needed adjustment.

Trust your own instincts! The majority of us have owned cars before, though the techs may not treat us that way. It's not just about getting your car the way you want it but about insuring your safety and the safety of others while you're hurling on down the road in this big hunk of metal.

Be well.

Pennhaven
07-19-2004, 07:22 AM
Our '04 XC70 was also vibrated significantly at highway speeds when it was delivered. I didn't notice this until the second day after delivery as we hadn't had it up to speed prior to that.

The dealer checked it out the next day. One front wheel was out of balance. The service rep said that they had to add 1/2 oz, which is fairly significant. It seems that Volvo's wheel/tire assembly supplier may have a bit of a quality control issue.

Bottom line, since the dealers do not check the car our at highway speeds, it's a good idea to so yourself right after delivery.

Artz
09-14-2004, 01:05 PM
Or right AT delivery! There's no reason you can't take thh car out for a drive when you show up at the showroom PRIOR to handing over anything or signing anything!

jkochis
09-15-2004, 03:31 AM
I had tire balance issues as well. They tried to charge me to balance the tires, and I said why should I pay for a factory quality control issue. They did agree and removed the charge. This was at my 7500 mile service. It wasn't that bad but did have a little bit of vibration but after the tires where balanced all was fine and now at 15,000 miles and still is not vibrating.

I was a little bothered on how Volvo wanted to charge me for this and they did charge me to adjust heated seats and mirror darkness. Any other car I owned under the main warranty items like this where handled for free with no questions asked. Not sure why they want to charge for such simple adjustments.

hrudu
07-21-2005, 02:02 PM
We just picked up our xc70 last week.
I noticed a bit vibrations @ freeway speed around 70MPH, so I brought the car back today and asked them to balance the tires, what they did without any
comments.
After work i pick up the car and drive around a little on the freeway I feel the vibritions again.
Does anyone have this kind of problems?

bondmom: Did the dealer fix your vibration problem?
Please let me know.

Thanks