PDA

View Full Version : Rear side sunshades

Psychwarlord
07-18-2004, 11:11 AM
Anyone have the rear side sunshades? How are these installed? Are they effective for you? We are awaiting an order of side rear passenger and cargo window shades, and are hoping they will keep the sun out of the back area. Thanks.

Bluegrass-XC
07-18-2004, 11:24 AM
I recently had "limo" tint installed on the rear doors and cargo area windows. The driver and front passenger windows are a shade lighter. Not legal here but the police won't raz you for it unless you've done something else wrong. Anyway - it's made a world of difference in keeping out direct sunlight - and heat ... and the XC looks real cool (no pun intended) with the Metallic Emerald Green body color. I don't have any pictures yet - still in the camera (film), but I'll revisit this thread and post them when I finish that roll. HTH.

AWD*V70XC
07-18-2004, 03:05 PM
The rear blinds you have to fit your self, a 15 minute job for each is all that is required. The door blinds attach to the top of the window I believe and rise and lower with the glass, can't remember how they fix to the bottom of the door.

I don't think the blinds are for cooling but more of a 'blind' function, ie stops prying eyes looking into your car and helping keep the sun's ray out of your eyes, kinda like sunglasses. I think there is too much glass in the cbin to keep it completely cool.

arizonamike
07-18-2004, 05:46 PM
I had the rear sunshades installed before I took delivery of my XC. I live in Phoenix Az and think that they are great. They attach to the bottom of the window (really to the door itself) with adhesive and do have a clip that you can put on the top edge of the window. They will go up and down with the window or the person in the rear can use them as they see fit. If I can get my camera to work, I will post pictures of them.

NauticCruiser
07-18-2004, 08:17 PM
Since I just made a rant in another stream, I'll say something good here. The rear passenger shades do work well. They will come with a small, stiff piece of plastic that will be used when you are installing them (take a good look at the drawing that comes with it, pay attention to which side you have in your hand, and make sure you have the front of the shade lined up correctly once you start pressing it in). You work the plastic down between the window that is up and the sill. You will remove two pieces of tape that cover adhesive that is on a clip that goes between the window and the sill. Pressing it down firmly, you will feel it click once it is completely pushed in. Looks like it is fairly permanent (you could pull them out, they clip in, but with the adhesive, it looks like it would make a mess). They are fairly unobtrusive when the shade is retracted, and do a good job shading the occupants (kids watching DVDs on a very long road trip). The shade just clips to the top of the window when you are ready to use. They were expensive but worth the cost. Now...if I could only get my rear seat back to come up again....(the other post)..

kat
07-19-2004, 12:07 PM
I have all 4 rear blinds passenger and cargo and gets my vote. However if you have the steel grate in the up position with the cargo blinds up they hit each other making a rattling noise. I normally remove the steel grate to accomodate the rear cargo seat bench so the rattling then is not a problem.

dcawd
07-20-2004, 11:08 AM
We had the rear shades factory installed. They work well for the purpose--keeping sun off the kids, and do help with cooling to an extent. They are also good for night driving when one is trying to get the kids to go to sleep! As others have noted, they are extremely easy to use. At the time I ordered my MY 2003 car, factory tint was not available. Had it been, I might have gone with that--better from a privacy standpoint in thes sense that the tint is always there. But we are v. happy with the sun shade.

littlewaywelt
07-20-2004, 03:19 PM
they definitely keep the car cooler. we have the rear shades and the door shades.

arizonamike
03-03-2005, 07:21 PM
I now have pics of my rear sunshades. I have three pics: one with window down, half way up, and fully up. Each pic is 400KB, too big to post direct to this site. Any one who wishes the pic(s) just send me you email addr and I will forward the pics.

Mike in Arizona (72F here today)

xcer
06-01-2005, 11:35 AM
Just priced rear seat shades for my 2002 and found them around 160.00. Yikes, that seemed high and then I was told they need to be installed by the service department (that they go behind door panel).

Are there different types of rear shades (since I see here that some folks installed it themselves) or are they just trying to nudge me toward paying for service?

AWD*V70XC
06-01-2005, 01:28 PM
I believe that there is now a shade for the rear door. I am still waiting for comformation but that is what the brochure says.

XC70Geo
06-01-2005, 09:23 PM
Look at this (http://acctest.semcon.se/en-GB/P2X/comfort/blind/VCC-249622.htm). Interesting.

littlewaywelt
06-02-2005, 08:28 AM
Look at this (http://acctest.semcon.se/en-GB/P2X/comfort/blind/VCC-249622.htm). Interesting.
Interesting, fold up and take out? Those are different than the blinds that roll up into a container like a window blind and go up and down with the windows.