PDA

View Full Version : Stability control rare? Does the car at least have traction control?

Psychwarlord
07-16-2004, 12:14 PM
The only white/taupe XC70 with child booster seats on the east coast as of last week is now ours, our dealer tells us. Got xenons, Xenia wheels, premium and touring package also. We are waiting for mudflaps and side shades. We like the floor mat and cargo mat material though!

We bought now (we were told $500 over invoice minus premium package cost - looks like $1200 under invoice in the end - a good deal, we thought)
because of the end of year savings, and besides, we wanted the last headlight wipers!

However, having driven the R, we wanted DSTC, but the dealer told us these cars are nonexistent right now - on our control panel, we don't even see a STC button - there are only three "dead" buttons on the row with the 12V outlet on the right.

It said in the manual that STC (traction and spin control) is standard on all V70/XC70 cars - do they mean the "traction control" that works in tandem with the Haldex AWD system? Why don't we have an STC enable/disable button?

Do we have any kind of traction control (aside from the W mode) system in this car?

I hope we have something to assist us in a skid!

Thanks for any info.

Raynald
07-16-2004, 09:05 PM
All XC's are equipped with the TRACS system that will prevent free spinning of any wheels by applying brake while driving under 80 km/h (50 mph). This is the only traction aid standard with the XC70 (either equipped wit VC or Haldex AWD systems). It cannot be disabled. It can't be compared with DSTC because it lacks the "DS" as for "Dynamic and Stability" and offer only the "TC" as "Traction Control".

budrichard
07-19-2004, 02:13 PM
Don't believe the 'Bu$%%' that the dealers tell you. DSTC is well worth the price and wait to have. Dealers don't want to order DSTC becuase it raises the vehicle price and they are only concerned about getting the vehicle out the door and not your safety. DSTC saved me once and if you do a search you will find the threads discussing DSTC. -Dick

Tom H
07-22-2004, 01:08 PM
I think he is refering to fact that are no MY04 left in the states with the DSTC option and custom MY04s can no longer be ordered. It looks as though those wanting DSTC will have to wait for the MY05 to hit the lots.

My dealer has 7 XC70s on his lot and none have DSTC or even the premium sound system.

Tom H
07-23-2004, 06:46 AM
Does anyone know the ins and outs of the DSTC system? I'm wondering if it is possible to upgrade to DSTC from a standard system. Are additional components other than the dash switch and the correct software upgrades required?

Psychwarlord
07-23-2004, 01:12 PM
Tom H - I think you are right - the dealer discouraged me from even thinking about DSTC - "there just aren't any in the US right now" he said.

leadingedge
07-27-2004, 02:59 PM
We bought our XC a month ago and ran into the same issue. Dealer said most people don't want to pay for DSTC, most people think AWD gives them enough traction, so dealers don't pre-order cars with DSTC. I don't think pepple understand that it's a safety feature and not a "get up that hill" feature, and for some reason dealers don't try to sell it as a safety feature. Same thing happened at a VW dealer when I test drove a Passat, which had a similar system as an option (it's now standard on the 2004 Passat with 4motion, their AWD system).

For a company so focused and knowledgeable about safety, I'm surprised it's not a standard feature on the XC. Audi has it on all of its AWD cars, but I think BMW makes it an option (not sure).

Tom H
07-27-2004, 04:39 PM
I agree. It suprising that Volvo, the industry leader in safety, does not incorporate the system as a standard feature regardless of any other options ordered. It can be a life and death safety feature. My Toyota Highlander has an equivilent system called TRACS and VSC which is standard on all AWD models. Maybe they fear it would price them out of the targeted market segment.