PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic oil change interval

Psychwarlord
07-16-2004, 02:01 AM
I have read threads here about not changing the oil in the new car until first 7500 mile service. Then it was recommended synthetic Mobil 1 be used afterwards.

Question: afterwards, what is appropriate interval for Mobil 1 oil changes?

I have heard 7500, 10,000, even 12,000.

Is there a prudent interval someone can recommend? Thanks.

dlr97
07-16-2004, 11:56 AM
Regardless of oil type, you should at least follow the owner's manual recommendation if the car is on warranty. Keep all receipts for oil purchase if you do it yourself.

Just my take: I will be changing to synthetic myself at 2500 mi., then at 7500 mi, 15000 mi etc. for mixed highway/city driving. I will take in my own oil to the dealer for free changes while they last...

One of the most common topics on all auto forums!

Cheers,
Dave

pico de luuks
07-16-2004, 01:01 PM
It sure is much discussed.
Whatever you do, make sure your dealer is happy with it while the car is under warranty. Myself I changed to Mobil 1 0w40 and change the oil once a year or every 12,000 miles whichever comes first. In my case that means ones a year after approx 7,000 miles. All in accordance with the service manual of my european specs 02 XC.
[pico]

Art
07-16-2004, 09:34 PM
I switched over to Mobil 1/10w30 full Syn around 36,000 km (22k miles) though I probably could have done so at an earlier point. Dealer here recommends 16,000 km (10k mile) change intervals for full synthetic which I provide. :)

pico de luuks
07-17-2004, 05:50 AM
I forgot to mention: up until recently my dealership didn't have a problem if I brought my own oil. But last time he mentioned that they changed their policy and I have to purchase the oil via them :( I think too many people brought their own and they didn't make enoughmoney anymore on a service. I haven't asked yet, but I'm sure they will almost double the $4,99 p/q I pay at autozone.......
[pico]

Psychwarlord
07-19-2004, 06:27 AM
I forgot to ask - I don't understand designations such as "10W30"

What designation weight or type of Mobil 1 should be used in New England - does season matter?

Also, is Mobil 1 the only true synthetic or does Castrol (brand recommended in Volvo manual) or other brands also have good sysnthetic oils? I heard somewhere non-Mobil 1 is "pseudo-synthetic" or some such thing. Thank you for your learned replies!

pico de luuks
07-19-2004, 06:44 AM
There are some older threads that discuss synthetic oils and change intervals at length and in depth, like these (http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/search.php?searchid=7969) You can use the search engine to further research the topic as discussed on this board.
There are some very knowledgeble members sharing some good info ;)

My manual doesn't mention any brands, but only talks about specs/requirements the oil has to meet, but maybe that has changed for later models :confused:

[pico]

dlr97
07-19-2004, 10:12 AM
Here is a good explanation of motor oil characteristics:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question164.htm

Cheers,
Dave