PDA

View Full Version : New arrival on the way

Pages : [1] 2

AWD*V70XC
07-15-2004, 03:28 PM
It appears that Volvo is 'pregnant' the newest arrival is on the way and will be a sister to the XC90 and a cousin of the XC70.

It will have all the appearances of the XC70 but the style of the XC90. The name for this new SUV, XC?0. Maybe it will be called XC60.

Built along the lines of the XC90 it will have three rows of seats, to seat adults with plenty of leg room. The middle row will have two seats with access for the third row or 40/20/40 split with pop up seat for rear access. The head rests will now be adjustable in height. Complete DVD/MP3 and SatNav system with playstation hook-ups in the rear head rests, AWD as standard with all cross country vehicles. The seating will be very similar to what is now used in the V50, ie loads of space underneath.

There will also be the two tone flaring that is currently on the XC70 and some new colours. The usual SIPS, WHIPS, etc as standard on all new Volvos plus a new roll cage protection system to protect the passengers in the event of a roll. BLIS and 4C chasis, ungraded suspension and 18" wheels as standard

A new braking system and new engine (Bi-fuel) & Diesel will also see this car take Volvo to a different level of customer. Larger than the current XC70 (inside) yet smaller than the XC90 on the outside will see Volvo into a new era of Cross Country vehicles.

There will be a greater use of electronics to compensate for driver errors and other uses like Volvo oncall taking a greater role in car management, more use of LED lighting on the rear while still retaining the normal three light cluster on the front.

Release date for this model....... expect it in Europe mid 2005 for on the road sales starting September.

But wait, what do I know, Volvo are keeping very tight lipped about it so don't expect too much in the press about it just yet, this could be something I have made up, including the photo. :D

balky
07-16-2004, 10:37 AM
:confused:

is this really true?????

AWD*V70XC
07-21-2004, 02:24 PM
As I said, everyone is very tight lipped about it, so until we get confirmation, I could be making the whole thing up. :eek:

I might be able to post some more photos shortly, so keep looking :D

AWD*V70XC
08-02-2004, 02:16 PM
I can hide the details no more, it has been announced by Volvo and the following is a release in a press edition from an online motoring paper.

Volvo is planning a full scale assault on the sports utility vehicle market with 4x4 versions of their two most popular models.

The V50 based XC50 and the sporty XC60 will join the existing XC90 in the Swedish stable. And with prices starting at around £20,000, both will rival established premium brands like BMW and Land Rover.

The company says the huge success of the XC90 (pictured) has ensured the new models get top priority. The XC50 should be on sale in 2006, with the XC60 two years later. Both will feature rugged off-road looks and raised ride height.

As the cat is out of the bag I might be able to release some more photographs of it.

AWD*V70XC
08-02-2004, 02:40 PM
Volvo plans to introduce an all wheel drive XC50 and a compact SUV called the XC60. As a small brother to the XC90, the XC60 comes with 5-cylinder engines and will be sporty. A V8 motor of 4.4 liters developed by Yamaha and which churns out 320hp is being developed for an upmarket version of the XC90. The US market may absorb easily 10,000 to 12,000 units of these V8 powered XC90s and it could replace the 272hp bi-turbo 6 on offer.

I have lost the photos so bear with me

balky
08-05-2004, 10:48 AM
can't wait for the first REAL pics

:)

AWD*V70XC
08-17-2004, 01:01 PM
Here are the first photos of the new XC60, you might notice that it carriers a different badge, this is because somebody else is trying out the car first.

AWD*V70XC
08-17-2004, 01:03 PM
This looks more like a XC90 than a XC70 replacement

coastal
08-17-2004, 01:07 PM
Err, that's the Ford Freestyle.. you sayin Volvo's going to be rebadging that as the XC60? :)

AWD*V70XC
08-17-2004, 02:05 PM
Yes, that's right. From the same stable.

ifnt420
08-17-2004, 08:22 PM
I sincerely hope that you are wrong on this one AWD*V70XC, cuz the FREESTYLE is one ugly car IMO.....:(
I don't think that Volvo would ever just "REBADGE" a FORD and pass it on as a VOLVO. That's GM's trick :D Like what they did with the SAAB 9-2, and 9-7.:rolleyes:

AWD*V70XC
08-18-2004, 01:12 AM
I sincerely hope that you are wrong on this one AWD*V70XC, cuz the FREESTYLE is one ugly car IMO.....:(
I don't think that Volvo would ever just "REBADGE" a FORD and pass it on as a VOLVO. That's GM's trick :D Like what they did with the SAAB 9-2, and 9-7.:rolleyes:

inft420, let's take your quote and rearrange it correctly. I sincerely hope that you are wrong on this one AWD*V70XC My 'contacts/sources' have revealed to me that this is the future XC to replace the current XC70 when its life expires in approx two years time. cuz the FREESTYLE is one ugly car IMO.....:( stand back and look at the car without looking at the ford badge. What can you see :confused: You can see the front bumper of a XC70, you can see the roof rails. you can see the lines of a modified XC70 but in a XC90 shell. You can see the high side lines of a XC. You can see the space in a XC inside. I don't think that Volvo would ever just "REBADGE" a FORD and pass it on as a VOLVO. You are right ;) Ford would never rebadge a car and pass it off as a Volvo but, Volvo is owned by Ford and what you are seeing is a 'rebadged' Volvo passed off as a Ford.

In principle the car is ALL Volvo. To start with it is a Volvo chasis, then it has the Haldex AWD system that all Volvo's have, it has a new rollover protection system that has been introduced in response to 'problems' arising from 'rolled' XC90's where it was stated the cage did not have enough protection to protect the rear passengers. It has all the airbags of a XC and new ones added to the rear half of the car for greater passenger protection. It will have an 'all new' diesel engine that will work in the States and Europe alike, thus capturing a wider market, ie Americans and diesel engines. One big change in the inside will be the middle seat arrangement. It will look nothing like the Ford set up but more like the present XC90 seating arrangement. It will also have the third row of seats like the 90. The audio system will have new plug-ins to add the likes of MP3's/iPod's. It will have all round dvd/games console style screen in the headrests. It will have Volvo features that only Volvo have designed like BLIS, water repellent glass, LED lights to the rear and Xenons to the front. A new ECU that makes the car fully automated incorperating 'on-line' monitoring of the car and relaying info back to the dealer including service details. The present Volvo on call system will be intregrated more in the car rather than an add on. And the Volvo will be the only car to have an anti-collision system built into it as standard. One of the new features to set sales rocketing over its Ford counterpart.

IT'S ALL VOLVO but built in a US Ford plant to allow production of the present 90/70 line produce all 90's to meet demand on a Worldwide basis.

It's not a rebadged Ford but a Volvo rebadged as a Ford for the sake of producing a winner in the Ford stable who are in trouble in the cars sales ladder.

I for one will have my name on the order book for one of the first ones delivered into the UK, I think it will be better than the present XC70 with the lines of a XC90. It will not be a poor mans XC90 but a 4x4 to be enjoyed by those who do not want to go for large 4x4 SUV's. :)

BTW fancy taking your car into the Ford dealer for a service. Keep a look out for all in one dealer/service centres coming to a town near you. :eek:

Now, please say you like it :D :D

TrueBlue
08-18-2004, 01:45 AM
Err - wasn't the Ford Freestyle said to be based on the Land Rover Freelander; the car that the LR director (of something or other) said would have zero defects or he would quit ?

It didn't, and he didn't.....

Doesn't get my vote - yet!

andyfr
08-19-2004, 02:49 AM
TrueBlue

You are more or less correct. From what I have heard the XC50/60, Freelander and Freestyle will all be sharing the next generation Ford Focus platform. I think what you will find is that each manufacturer will have their own unique selling points and will focus on promoting those to their customers.

I doubt that you will get what we used to have in the past where it was just 'badge engineering' and it was basically the same vehicle. Volvo will still build extra safety features in and Land Rover extra off-road features, can't think what Ford will do though :).

I am a Freelander owner and am looking to the future and what I may get next. I am very happy with it but after owning two I fancy a change. Also as I never go off road and only need four wheel drive for the bad snow we get up here I thought I would consider an AWD estate. This maybe explains why I am on this forum looking for information and trying to find out just what is happening.

Hope you don't mind me jumping in! :D

Andy.

slender
08-19-2004, 09:12 AM
Hope you don't mind me jumping in! :D

Andy.[/QUOTE]

Jumpers in are always welcome, Andy.

A fine part of the country you are based in, if I may say. I'm well overdue a visit to the that glorious region - normally in search of birds; the feathered kind, of course.

Sounds like the XC range would be a good choice for you. Happy pondering and welcome to this friendly little corner of the internet.

ifnt420
08-20-2004, 08:40 AM
Now, please say you like it :D :Dman... AWD*V70XC, as much as I like you. I will still take this

http://autokatalog.tiscali.cz/images/CZ/Volvo/XC70/2002/5ES.JPG

Over this anyday...:D :D

http://www.autoweek.nl/images/480/3237.jpg

It looks too much like the Acura MDX and ML320, which I also dislike the styling.:( The XC70 on the other hand, is unique; you won't see a hint of any other brand/model on its styling.

http://www.theautochannel.com/F/news/2004/02/18/181105.2-lg.jpg

Even the wheels are almost the same!!!!:eek:

http://www.new-cars.com/2004/acura/mdx/2004-acura-mdx-rear.jpg

http://www.car-data.com/photos.previews/p.ford.freestyle.30.2.jpghttp://www.autobase.com/photos/05071746a.jpg

birddog
08-22-2004, 05:50 PM
I stumbled on this little bit of informatioin on a New Jersey Volvo dealer's webpage.
I know it's just an artist's view of the model, but I must say it's a good-looking little SUV.

New Jersey Volvo Dealer's (http://www.englewoodvolvo.com/2006/Volvo_XC60.html)

ocean 506
08-25-2004, 08:23 PM
If this is the direction Volvo wants to take us...I'm going to follow Irv Gordon, at least until the 2 Million mile mark...
Jon

AWD*V70XC
09-10-2004, 01:33 PM
Volvo is planning a full scale assault on the sports utility vehicle market with 4x4 versions of their two most popular models.

The V50 based XC50 and the sporty XC60 will join the existing XC90 in the Swedish stable. And with prices starting at around £20,000, both will rival established premium brands like BMW and Land Rover.

The company says the huge success of the XC90 has ensured the new models get top priority. The XC50 should be on sale in 2006, with the XC60 two years later. Both will feature rugged off-road looks and raised ride height.

I think I was right on both counts, just was not told that it was two new models they were bring out. Ah well, at least this should make everyone happy now :p

AWD*V70XC
09-23-2004, 04:28 AM
Ford Motor Co. desperately needs the all-new 2005 Five Hundred sedan and Freestyle wagon to succeed.

If all goes according to plan, the roomy new models will be the first step in a campaign to reverse a decade-long decline in Ford car sales. If they fail, it's a huge setback to Ford's plan to regain competitiveness in a market where it once set the pace.

The Five Hundred and Freestyle will also show if Ford can deliver on its promise that its luxury brands such as Volvo will improve all the company's vehicles.

The Five Hundred and Freestyle are based on the same architecture as Volvo's hot-selling -- and much more expensive -- XC90 crossover wagon. An architecture is a set of components and structures that can be used to build a wide variety of vehicles.

The new cars borrow a number of pieces from Volvo's parts bin, including rollover sensors and its very effective all-wheel-drive system.

Ford can build about 250,000 cars annually at the Chicago plant that assembles the Five Hundred and Freestyle. That plant will also build versions of the two cars for Ford's Mercury brand -- the Montego sedan and a wagon whose name has not been revealed.

The Ford brand sold fewer than 800,000 cars in the United States last year, down from nearly 1.4 million in 1995. The Five Hundred and Freestyle won't reverse that sorry trend, but they can at least stanch the bleeding and lay the groundwork for the higher-volume midsize cars Ford will introduce over the next several years.

"Ford has a lot of balls in the air," said Jim Hall, vice president for industry analysis in the Southfield office of consultant AutoPacific. "They should do much better with the Five Hundred and Freestyle. It'll be interesting to see."

Let's see how long they can keep from mentioning Vovlo!!!

AWD*V70XC
09-28-2004, 02:11 PM
Looks like Audi have just announced their replacement for the allroad. It looks like a serious contender for the XC70 replacement, I hope Volvo have it right as they will be entering the market very late.

The production version of Audi "Pikes Peak" quattro SUV design study is to bear the name Q7.

The new Audi sport utility vehicle (SUV) will bear the name Q7 when it goes on sale in 2006. This announcement was made at the Paris Motor Show by Prof. Dr. Martin Winterkorn, Chairman of the Board of Management of AUDI AG. "The letter Q denotes a new type family within our company, alongside A, S and RS. The 7 indicates that it is positioned between the A6 and A8," explained Prof. Winterkorn.

The Q7 will make its market debut at the start of 2006. The production version will be based on the Pikes Peak quattro concept study unveiled at the 2003 Detroit Motor Show. In common with the study, the five-door, seven-seater Q7 will combine the qualities of a fully-fledged off-road vehicle with the typical dynamism of an Audi high-performance sports saloon. The Audi SUV will moreover offer cabin space that sets new standards in its class.

We'll see!!!

petriedish802
11-06-2004, 08:58 PM
i took a gander at the pix of the mini- xc90 and wow! those s40/v50 rims look good on an suv. i would totally buy one if they come out like the pix off of that NJ volvo site, but if it looks like the one on concept lab volvo, i would be deathly disappointed with volvo.

AWD*V70XC
11-07-2004, 03:53 AM
WYSIWYG except in the case of the Volvo lab, the Volvo labs combines a lot of features that will appear on a lot of cars. You must look at the 'Lab' as just that, but try looking at some of the spy photos and you will not see much different. I hear that Volvo is trying to lose some of the square lines from their next line ups without compromising the safety features presently on board.

Ron3KL
11-07-2004, 06:01 AM
Here are the first photos of the new XC60, you might notice that it carriers a different badge, this is because somebody else is trying out the car first.

There is a possibility that the theory of the XC60 being based on the Freestyle is wrong. There is another vehicle that is similar in appearance to the Freestyle but actually very different, also made by Ford, here in Australia that the world doesn't know a lot about yet.... Territory.

The motoring reviews and comments from owners say the vehicle is brilliant, the pricing is keen and some of the parts look very familiar.

Here is the showroom link http://www.ford.com.au/territory/#

AWD*V70XC
11-07-2004, 07:19 AM
You might have something there Ron3KL looks a better model than the freestyle, but I guess we are just looking at cosmetic appearances which will be different again than the XC60.

It does appear to have all the attributes of Volvo under the skin. :D

Artz
12-21-2004, 09:06 AM
Every time I've seen an ad for the Freestyle, I always strikes me that it looks like the XC70. I guess it's just a little smaller, but with same body style.

v70+xc70
12-23-2004, 02:47 AM
Freestyle is about a foot bigger than the xc70 at 200 inches.
The space that adds over an xc90 is tremendous. Freestyle built on the 90 chassis, not Focus/Mazda 3. With a more Volvo like interior, Stronger engine (V8?) I can see the Freestyle as a second generation XC90
This from someone whose driven and really likes the Freestyle.

budrichard
01-17-2005, 11:13 PM
I absolutely don't care what the vehicle looks like but if the Volvo SUV's don't incorporate a true off-road driving system where the differentials can be locked out to allow full traction in needed situations, then the vehicle is absoltely useless except for anyone that wants the SUV look rather than off road ability. AWD Haldex and DSTC are very nice on road and offer substantial safety but off road, they lack the ability to get through the tough stuff. Of course coupled with that is the need for increased wheel articulation and adequate under body protection.
The Audi All Roads are just hot rods. I see them all the time blasting along the Chicago Expressways. They have huge rear tires for traction and cornering on the road and I doubt that one of them has ever been driven off road. What has happened now is that everyone wants the fastest, most horsepower SUV as a status contest and these vehicles have very little usefulness off road.-Dick

littlewaywelt
01-18-2005, 08:17 AM
I absolutely don't care what the vehicle looks like but if the Volvo SUV's don't incorporate a true off-road driving system where the differentials can be locked out to allow full traction in needed situations, then the vehicle is absoltely useless except for anyone that wants the SUV look rather than off road ability. AWD Haldex and DSTC are very nice on road and offer substantial safety but off road, they lack the ability to get through the tough stuff. Of course coupled with that is the need for increased wheel articulation and adequate under body protection.
The Audi All Roads are just hot rods. I see them all the time blasting along the Chicago Expressways. They have huge rear tires for traction and cornering on the road and I doubt that one of them has ever been driven off road. What has happened now is that everyone wants the fastest, most horsepower SUV as a status contest and these vehicles have very little usefulness off road.-Dick

I couldn't agree more. Volvo SUV's demographics probably indicate that they will not be driven off road by more than .5% of owners. Personally I think it's unlikely that we'll ever see a low range or even a locked tc because that would simply confuse most people buying a volvo and create a safety hazzard when it's used at the wrong time. Additionally the liklihood that someone that needs true offroad capability would even consider Volvo over Jeep or Landrover is hard to imagine. ...except perhaps an XC90 to tow a trail only Jeep. Even then I bet he or she would be at the sharp end of several jokes from friends.

In the end however, I bought a Volvo because I don't need a Jeep's locked tc, high range and low range 4wd capability much anymore and the Volvo seems good enough for light fire road type trails and moderate snows, at the upside of offering substantially more safety and utility for family & recreation. I was expecting the XC90 to be a little more landrover than volvo though.

The marketing phrase "There's only one Jeep :) " becomes more true each model year.

xc70fin
01-18-2005, 12:25 PM
Totally new Audi Allroad was intodused few days ago in Detroit Car Shor.

It is still "consept" car but because Q7 will be SUV (based on Touarag) they need something between Audi A6 avant (station wagon) and Q7 (SUV)

AWD*V70XC
10-06-2005, 01:48 PM
Volvo says cost cuts won't delay planned new-product launches

BRADFORD WERNLE | Automotive News Europe
Posted Date: 10/5/05
Volvo Car Corp.'s cost cutting will not affect any of its product programs.

The Swedish carmaker has a busy launch schedule over the next several years.

It started with the debut of the C70 coupe convertible at the Frankfurt auto show last month.

In the first half of next year, Volvo will show the next-generation S80 sedan.

When the S80 arrived in 1998, it signaled a major departure for Volvo. The S80 showed that Volvos did not have to look like shoeboxes on wheels.

Every major model introduction since has featured the brand's new, more curvaceous look.

Following the S80 late next year will be the new C30, which will use elements of two concept cars. One is the Volvo Safety Concept Car introduced at the 2001 Detroit auto show. The other is the 3CC shown at the Michelin Challenge Bibendum rally in Shanghai last year.

The C30 will be a three-door hatchback based on the S40 platform. It will be Volvo's smallest car.

Volvo also is deciding whether to build a smaller SUV called the XC50 or XC60.

Volvo spokesman Olle Axelson says Volvo still plans to produce 600,000 cars a year. Volvo made about 460,000 cars at its three plants in 2004.

The bulk of Volvo's production is split between its factories in Torslanda, Sweden, and Ghent, Belgium. Volvo and partner Pininfarina S.p.A., the Italian coachbuilder, will make 12,000 to 15,000 C70s a year at Volvo's factory in Uddevalla, Sweden.

Even as far back as yesterday, they are still muttering about the XC50

AWD*V70XC
08-19-2006, 02:57 PM
Volvo have now come up with their new diesel engine that should be ready for the American markets, shortly. It is believed that this new diesel engine will be shown first in the XC50 when it is launched at the Detroit Motor Show, next year.

bobigski
08-26-2006, 06:06 PM
If aXC 50 Diesel is America bound in 08 my 05 XC90 2.5T AWD will be up for sale. Picked it up in Goteborg and fell in love with Sweden and Norway. OSD in 08 if the price is right. [thumbup]

AWD*V70XC
09-03-2006, 06:30 AM
XC50: This on-again, off-again crossover will hit U.S. shores in spring 2008. The XC50 will be built in Ghent, Belgium, which means it will use the C1 platform shared by the S40 and V50. It will be sized similar to the BMW X3. Expect a nonturbo, 2.5-liter five-cylinder for the base model and a turbo-five for the up-market edition.

XC70: Here's a marketing conundrum: The redesigned XC70 Cross Country arrives at almost the same time as the XC50 and V70, and all three are almost the same size and use the EUCD platform. Arrival here (UK) is likely in late 2007. The new design looks more muscular but keeps an upright wagon look.

XC90: A new family of inline six-cylinder engines arrives in 2007. As far as the 2010 redesign, Volvo is grappling with the need for a roomier third-row seat and better fuel economy.</SPAN>

v70+xc70
09-05-2006, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the update AWD*V70XC.

The only puzzle is the xc50 being built in Ghent.

the LR Freelander/LR2 is being built in Halewood with the 3.2 I6 and Haldex, and comes complete with high strength steel. Perhaps xc90 style-I am waiting to confirm specifics.

Always felt that the LR2 would morphed into the xc50 and be built in Halewood on the same production line.

Also even though Ghent has grown is it really up to the building of more than the Smax etc models?

xc4life
09-10-2006, 08:44 AM
There is a possibility that the theory of the XC60 being based on the Freestyle is wrong. There is another vehicle that is similar in appearance to the Freestyle but actually very different, also made by Ford, here in Australia that the world doesn't know a lot about yet.... Territory.

The motoring reviews and comments from owners say the vehicle is brilliant, the pricing is keen and some of the parts look very familiar.

Here is the showroom link http://www.ford.com.au/territory/#
this is actually a clone of a the american ford model, freestyle....go to the american ford website, and you'll see.

v70+xc70
09-10-2006, 03:21 PM
this is actually a clone of a the american ford model, freestyle....go to the american ford website, and you'll see.

The Freestyle and Territory may look similar, but go into the specs and you'll see that there is no relationship between the two except for the blue oval badge

AWD*V70XC
09-11-2006, 03:46 AM
The Freestyle and Territory may look similar, but go into the specs and you'll see that there is no relationship between the two except for the blue oval badge

Don't be fooled by body panels, I am sure the Aussie unit uses the same platform/chassis as the Freestyle which IS a Volvo chassis along with the AWD mechanics.

Remember this?

http://photo.sohu.com/04/52/Img206425204.jpg

Now look at this -

http://www.ford.com.au/global/img/range/territory/nameplate_exterior07.jpg

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++

And this is suppose to be a view of the new grill for the MY08 XC70 but I am sure if you remove the cosmetic plastic you can see a front grill similar to the present egg grill -

http://www.trend.az/images/small/Volvo%20XC70110906-small.jpg

TrueBlue
09-11-2006, 06:49 AM
XC50: XC50 will be built in Ghent, Belgium, which means it will use the C1 platform shared by the S40 and V50.

XC70:... XC50 and V70, and all three are almost the same size and use the EUCD platform.

Help please Cameron, your first paragraph says XC50 uses C1 platform, second para: says EUCD. Is this a typo or have I missed some definition or whatever?

To me S40, V50 = Ford Focus platform,
XC70, S60, V70, S80? and XC90? use another (doubtful about the last two).

It's not exactly a show stopper but nice to know.

2/(√5-1)
09-12-2006, 01:11 AM
which one is this? looks nice

http://photo.sohu.com/04/52/Img206425204.jpg

2/(√5-1)
09-12-2006, 01:27 PM
OK it seems to be a non-existing and maybe never existing car, concept ACC
I'm afraid the new XC50 will not at all look so great

v70+xc70
09-15-2006, 03:22 PM
http://www.worldcarfans.com/spyphotos.cfm/country/ecf/spyphotoID/6060913.001/volvo/spy-photos-all-new-volvo-xc60

A little something.....

The question is WHAT?

If my08, then thats going to be a busy year for Volvo if the xc70/v70 gets replaced then as well

kat
09-20-2006, 01:50 PM
Help please Cameron, your first paragraph says XC50 uses C1 platform, second para: says EUCD. Is this a typo or have I missed some definition or whatever?

You are right Mike, according to todays Autoexpress the XC60 is based on the Freelander from Range Rover, of course also part of Ford.

See the full text here (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/202834/volvo_xc60_and_xc70.html) along with pics, also has blurb on the new XC70, sounds like a press release to me.

Heres the text in case the link goes:-
The firm's striking new compact SUV has been influenced by the popularity of its full-sized off-roader, and looks every inch the miniature XC90.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/quote2_left.gifIt's likely to share its range of petrol and diesel engines with the Land Rover, and this will include a 158bhp 2.2-litre diesel, plus Volvo's latest 230bhp six-cylinder petrol powerplanthttp://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/quote2_right.gif
Set to make its world debut at the Detroit Motor Show in January, it gets a traditional Volvo grille at the front. This is joined by smart projector-style headlamps, while the pronounced shoulder line is another trademark styling cue.

The newcomer is expected to wear the XC60 badge, rather than being called the XC50 - as was previously thought - and will borrow heavily from the look of its big brother.

Despite the family resemblance, the new model will actually share its under­pinnings with the new Freelander from sister company Land Rover. This running gear will also be used in a fresh compact SUV from parent firm Ford. The chassis design will ensure the Volvo has decent performance in the rough stuff, but while the Freelander offers unrivalled mud-plugging ability, the XC60 will focus on safety.

It's likely to share its range of petrol and diesel engines with the Land Rover, and this will include a 158bhp 2.2-litre diesel, plus Volvo's latest 230bhp six-cylinder petrol powerplant.

Our spies have also been following a heavily disguised proto­type of the new XC70 undergoing testing in the US. Its egg-crate grille is clearly visible through the heavy plastic cladding, and the jacked-up crossover model is expected to feature sleek S80-inspired styling.

The new soft-roader is based on the next-generation V70 estate, and our image below reveals how that model will look. Key features will include a tra­ditional upright rear windscreen, high-mounted tail-light clusters and a full complement of safety kit.

The current load-lugging V70 is one of the oldest models in the company's line-up. Its replacement - including the tall-riding XC70 - is expected to hit Volvo showrooms next year.

AWD*V70XC
09-21-2006, 12:56 AM

Mike, the EUCD platform is a Ford terminology for common platforms amongst the PAG group. I hate to think I am driving a V50 with a Focus chassis but alas no, the chassis (as far as I know) as all Volvo designs interbred into other brands, phew that's better.

AWD*V70XC
09-21-2006, 03:27 AM
You are right Mike, according to todays Autoexpress the XC60 is based on the Freelander from Range Rover, of course also part of Ford.

Somehow I cannot see the name XC60 being used, because, as I have stated before, 7 & 9 range cars are odd numbers and Volvo are making cars fit into odd & even number ranges. 40, 60 & 80 ranges being the small, mid & exec cars, 50, 70 & 90 being estate/Cross Country's and the 30 range being the sporty hatch range or taster range for getting more younger people into the Volvo fold.

The ?30 is going to have quite a few varients to satify even the hardest of buyers who see Volvo as the outside lane hugging tanks of old. The sportiest ?30 will compete against the Audi A3 and could be the S30. The H30 will be a 3 door version pitted against the Civic (Honda)/Astra (Opel/Vauxhall/GM). Althought I have not heard of any plans for a V30 I have heard rumours of a XC30 whic would be similar to the Toyota Tercel from manys years ago. It would be bigger than the Fiat Panda 4x4 with more space aiming at the weekend sports family you want to take a trip to the water for the weekend or up a mountain.

As for a XC60, I can't see it being called that - but I will stand corrected if need be.

AWD*V70XC
09-26-2006, 09:27 AM

Mike have a look at the post I have just done in the site wide news for more info on the EUCD platform, I don't think you will like it, now. Just remember where you read it first [thumbup] here September 3rd. :D

Also notice the talk of the XC50 again and not a XC60, and the re splashed (re-muscled) XC70.

Keden
05-16-2007, 12:01 PM
:confused:

is this really true?????

This is not true, not even close! Trust me, I know what I'm talking about. So, don't worry, this ugly vehicle will not be released, not by Volvo anyways.

I have seen the future of Volvo designs and it LOOKS GOOD! [thumbup]

AWD*V70XC
05-16-2007, 12:55 PM
This is not true, not even close! Trust me, I know what I'm talking about. So, don't worry, this ugly vehicle will not be released, not by Volvo anyways.

I have seen the future of Volvo designs and it LOOKS GOOD! [thumbup]

Welcome back, long time since you were here last [thumbup]

A you can see there is the old school who like the usually brick shape with some modern rounded corners of course and then there are the new comers, who I think are company drivers.

It is good news that we will like some of the new designs and of course any photos you can supply would always be welcome, but please, it is not worth your job to leak any embargoed images.

I look forward to some insight into the World of Volvo :D

AWD*V70XC
01-26-2008, 08:29 AM
Well it has been a while but at last a serious video which shows off the beauty of the things to come and if most of it is put into a new XC model then I am putting my order in as soon as the books are opened. Cool designs, cool features - cool car. What do you think :confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHrMVLoCVWI&feature=related

JRL
01-26-2008, 09:35 PM
Well it has been a while but at last a serious video which shows off the beauty of the things to come and if most of it is put into a new XC model then I am putting my order in as soon as the books are opened. Cool designs, cool features - cool car. What do you think :confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHrMVLoCVWI&feature=related
Errrrr, yeah :confused:
This is about 2 to 3 years old now. Talking about the new XC which was released 6 months ago. They were talking two years in the future
in thiis video.