PDA

View Full Version : HU-803 Search and Find question

barrysharp
07-12-2004, 05:28 PM
My wife has discovered what I think is an anomaly with our HU-803 head unit. We live in the Seattle area and when the FM frequency 94.9 is selected invariably the station will play immediately and then within about 1 sec the display will read "Searching". After maybe 5 to 15 secs it will find 94.9 again and start playing. My wife discovered that if she immediately turns the radio off and then back on again (ie quickly pressing the volume button on the HU twice) the radio will play 94.9 without the need for a "Searching". Strange.

Anyone else observed this with other frequencies and/or stations in their area ?

Art
07-12-2004, 06:14 PM
Could it have something to do with the HU-803's AF (Automatic Frequency Update) function being switched off Barry? You can access this feature via the 803's advanced user mode.

ScottyC
07-13-2004, 08:45 PM
I have the same problem here in Vancouver sometimes with 95.3. It has a very strong signal normally... but sometimes it will do the searching... I think Art is right.. the Auto Frequency search is probably turned on. I have not turned it off yet to try it... but it sounds like a good bet to me.

barrysharp
07-13-2004, 09:15 PM
Thanks Art & ScottyC:

I checked the AF setting and it's ON. Maybe the radio is simply doing its chore of searching for strongest signal as 94.9 is undergoing some transmitter rework and they apologize for this every now and then. I also have REG in SWITCH mode to track weak regional signals.

I also have ASC configured ON and its level set to "High".

ScottyC
07-13-2004, 10:54 PM
No problem... I will give it a try on my XC. Although I don;t find that it happens often... so it is not to bothersome.

Art
07-15-2004, 09:45 AM
Hey Guys,

The anomaly that Barry speaks of has also shown up in a thread over at another forum. The problem appears to be related to the RDS feature of the 803. More details here (http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=19592) :)

barrysharp
07-15-2004, 10:53 AM
Hey Guys,

The anomaly that Barry speaks of has also shown up in a thread over at another forum. The problem appears to be related to the RDS feature of the 803. More details here (http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=19592) :)

Thanks Art -- will print off that thread and study it and post back if it helps me or not etc. :)

barrysharp
07-16-2004, 11:20 AM
Hmmmm - have the HU-803 in my '04 S60R and observed same "Searching" anomaly today on frequency 94.9 in Seattle area. :(

barrysharp
07-28-2004, 09:04 PM
Found this on Swedespeed today. :D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: HU-803 Radio Data System 11:27 AM 10-7-2003

Brought my car in to my Dealership. They've been having this problem since 2001. Here's the notes
==============================================
Tech-Net Notes
No: 39-28
Date: 9/12/2001
Model: S60, V70, V70 XC, and S80
Subject: "Search" displayed on HU-80x Radio
Reference: Vehicle Owner's Manual

DESCRIPTION:
WHen selecting a pre-set FM Station on an HU-801 or HU-803 radio, it is possible to have a "Search" message displayed for several seconds before playing the station.

HU-801 and HU-803 radios use RDS (Radio Data System). RDS allows text information to be transmitted with the radio signal. The text information is then displayed on the radio display. When stations which transmit an RDS Signal are memorized, some RDS information is also memorized. If the radio signal is weak, the RDS information may be unrecognizable to the radio. When the radio is unable to decode the RDS signal for a pre-set station, it searches for the RDS profile, thus entering the "Search" mode. The radio will "Search" for the RDS information for several seconds (with the radio muted), then stop searching and play the station.

SERVICE:
If a customer complaint is consistent with the above description, it is possible to avoid the "Search" mode. SInce the radio is searching for the memorized RDS information, the station must be memorized without any RDS Signal. THis can be done in two different ways, either:

* In an area of strong signal, disconnect the radio antenna and memorize the station. (With the antenna disconnected, the radio does not received the RDS Signal, and therefore cannot memorize any RDS information).

OR

* When "Search" is displayed, memorize the station.
NOTE: Method 2 should be explained to the customer for future use.