PDA

View Full Version : What are the anchors for?

newv70xcmom
07-12-2004, 11:56 AM
Ok guys I know this me sound like a dumb question but what were these anchors intended to be used for?

bflxc70
07-12-2004, 12:18 PM
I asked the salesman about them. He said they are cargo tiedowns. If you had something large, and you wanted to bungy it down in the back of the car you use those anchors.

AWD*V70XC
07-12-2004, 12:27 PM
There is a cargo net that you can buy from Volvo to cover the cargo area. Most people just use tiedown straps, bungies, rachets whatever you call them to secure loads in the back.

The ones by the seats are used when you have the rear seats down and a longer load placed inside.

BTW did you know that you can also move the cargo gate from it present position to go just behind the driver's seat. If you look at the holes in the roof you will notice they are identical to the ones that the gate is presently attached to.

Keep asking :D

littlewaywelt
07-12-2004, 05:48 PM
BTW did you know that you can also move the cargo gate from it present position to go just behind the driver's seat. If you look at the holes in the roof you will notice they are identical to the ones that the gate is presently attached to.

Keep asking :D

The cargo net that pulls out of the backs of the 60-40 seats is long enough to also be used when the rear seats are folded down and it's pulled up behind the front seats.

geo
07-13-2004, 01:23 AM
Hi,
The ones in the rear are indeed cargo tie downs.
The ones just in front of the rear seat are for a cargo net that fits in the slots in the headlining/ roof rail just behind the front seats, and comes vertically down behind the front seats when the entire load area is being used.

TrueBlue
07-13-2004, 01:41 AM

AWD - Have you tried to move the cargo gate forward? I suggested some time ago that it might be possible to do it, but being of an idle disposition I did not actually try.

SO if you have been succesful - please post here - It will add to the common pool of knowledge.

FYI the installation instructions do not point it out as a "feature", but that may be for safety reasons as the gate folded above the heads of passengers - reducing the clearance in that area is Not A Good Thing. That's my excuse for not trying it.

It's a pity really 'cos puttting it behind the driver's seat when the whole cargo area is to be used would be Really Useful.

barrysharp
07-13-2004, 05:44 AM
The cargo net is designed to be attachable to the tie down loops behind front seats and hooked into roof line plastic lugs much like when in the rear most position. My Owner's Manual clearly shows this configuration.

TrueBlue
07-13-2004, 06:56 AM
Thanks Barry,

We have a symantics problem here. I meant the "cargo compartment safety grille" or Skyddsgaller in its native (Swedish) form. Over here we get this welded steel thingy with gas struts as standard. The dealers call it a dog guard - but gets confused with the dog guard which is also made of welded steel, but fits 'twixt the floor and roof.

Others call it a steel safety net - but that should be used for the folding rigid wire screen which doesn't stow anywhere.

Neither of these should be confused with the coilable nylon net which fits into the rear seat backs.

This last item can be clipped into the aforementioned mounting points above the rear and front seats (and the steel folding net may also work in both positions).

I think the owner's manual is silent on the two metal variants, but says the nylon version can be used in the forward position.
Not only is there a problem with the Swedish translation, but the manual is a cobbled version of the V70 document - as mentioned elsewhere.

But very many thanks for pointing it out!

gbooth
08-02-2004, 08:03 AM
I clip Bungee cords to these anchors to keep things like windshield washer fluid jugs under control.

Gordon