PDA

View Full Version : Can you repair chrome bar

newv70xcmom
07-12-2004, 09:35 AM
When we got our 2001 XC I noticed that the chrome (I know its not chrome) bar has a lot of scratches. Is there anything to do to repair that. I know its a minor thing but thought I would ask. Thanks

barrysharp
07-12-2004, 10:29 AM
I believe the only solution is a complete replacement. I've yet to read/hear a good resolution to this complaint. I've had my XC70 for just over one year and it already has a small chip/nick which shows up as a black dot. :(

Scratches would be hard to remove although you might try a good body shop and get their opinion. Compare their repair cost to buying a new one from Volvo or Borton in MN.

Does anyone know what a new Grab Handle costs from Volvo ?

Art
07-12-2004, 10:29 AM
Other than using a matching touch up stick (which might make it look even worse) I can't recall if anyone has come up with a viable solution. :(

Still waiting to hear whether or not the real chrome grab bar of the '05 XC can be retrofitted to existing models. That said, I can imagine this refit would set you back some pretty serious coin.

http://www.swedespeed.com/gallery/generated//FWD%20and%20AWD/XC70%20-%20V70%20XC%20Mk%20II/2005%20Update/Interior/001__scaled_600.jpg

barrysharp
07-12-2004, 10:33 AM
Still waiting to hear whether or not the real chrome grab bar of the '05 XC can be retrofitted to existing models.[/img]

I seen posting on this issue and what I've read so far indicates this will not be possible as the center consol design is significantly different. However, having said that, it's possible that some creative thinking might overcome this. ;)

geo
07-13-2004, 01:30 AM
Hi,
Quite right mine was chipped on the first day, "her indoors" was quite convinced she did not clip it with the seat belt when she tried it for the first time.
A very shoddy piece of material design not worthy of the Volvo name.