PDA

View Full Version : Road Noise

ffynnondewi
07-09-2004, 05:54 AM
Experiencing tyre/ road/ bearing noise from rear of 2001 XC70.
Is this due to tyres chosen.. Pirelli Scoprion 215/65 R16 98 h M+S?
Noise depends on speed and road surface so blame the tyres. Tyres have done 10,000 miles and car is usually doing 90mph on motorways in the dry in the UK.. Any help or suggestions on other quieter tyres ( if that is the problem) would be welcome.

barrysharp
07-09-2004, 08:44 AM
If you feel strongly that noise is more than tyres on the road noise (ie maybe something mechanical) then you best take it to dealership's service dept and ask for their opinion. 'A stitch in time saves nine'

If you've 10K miles on the tyres has this noise only just started? If so I'd say it has nothing to do with the tyres. However, check the tyres tro see if they are in good shape with no blisters on sidewalls etc.

Raynald
07-09-2004, 08:09 PM
Do like I did. Have somebody else drive the car while your sitting in the back seat. If you have defective wheel bearings (hubs), you'll clearly hear the grinding noise it makes, different from tires which is more like an "air leak" kind of noise. I had to replace both rear hubs and believe me, at CAD$1,400 a pair, I wish they would still have been covered under warranty! :(

That said, I know for a fact that the my Scorpion ST's became noisier as they wear out. I clearly saw the difference last fall when I switched to winter tires.

ffynnondewi
07-12-2004, 04:39 AM
Thanks, have read all the other threads and now confirm that it is the bearing/ bearing assembly on the near side. Not sure initially if it was the rear diff. Part on order £150 in the UK, so will see what difference it makes. Surprised that this is a common problem with XC70's....100,000 miles is relatively low mileage. Phil :)

slender
07-12-2004, 05:05 AM
Welcome to the site, Phil, we're a friendly bunch as I'm sure you've noticed.

Are you sorting the problem yourself or using a main dealer/independent garage?

Regards.

ffynnondewi
07-14-2004, 03:27 AM
Hi, I had a V40 TD bought from new for 5 years then got the offer of this 2001 model with 88,000 miles..a bargain at less than £10K. I buy all the parts from Volvo main dealer then get the local garage to fit!
The wheel bearing came in at £130 inc taxes and was fitted in 45mins inc a front to rear tyre change - labour cost £30.
Without this website I would not have been able to diagnose the problem and would have spend the "Volvo Standard Service Time" on diagnosis of the fault and replacement.... :mad:
I also had the cam belts changed at a MAIN DEALER before I bought it as an insurance check - they road tested the car and failed to pick up the fault/ noise which has remained the same since purchase...
have found this other site which may be of interest to Owners looking for the OEM of bearing suppliers - before the part was fitted I checked the item which was stamped SKF VB 2 or 6. It was in original Volvo packaging so showed who the OEM was... Other owners can get cheaper OEM bearing parts via http://compass.vsm.skf.temp.pi.se/int/Part_search/index.html. Press "Refresh" after this.. I found this through Google and luckily added it to my favourites but cannot get back to the "Home Page" of the website!

A page on the website for OEMs would be very useful including Tyres with reviews.
I am a private car owner who uses the car for work doing approx 30,000 miles per annum ( at £0.80 pence per litre..!)
:) :)