PDA

View Full Version : 2001 v70 xc surges

newv70xcmom
07-07-2004, 10:50 PM
I have a 2001 V70 xc awd. It has 30,000 miles. Just bought it. I have noticed while driving that the engine will surge then lunge/ Not good on bad back. Any ideas what is wrong. It has been to the dealship and of course they could not reproduce. We drove it the same day and it happened 5 times.

I am lossing confidence in my new car. I have always wanted a volvo and loved this one... until the surges.

barrysharp
07-08-2004, 07:51 AM
I believe this is a known problem with '01 models. I also believe there is a software download that Service Dept can apply to fix the surging. I've also heard talk about Service Dept doing a 'valve body replacement' in the transmission to solve the problem if you YELLED enough.

Maybe other forum members with '01 models can chime in here and provide some insights for our new member newv70xcmom :)

littlewaywelt
07-08-2004, 02:33 PM
30k miles is young for that problem, but it's a known issue w/ the 01s.
Is your car pausing between the 2nd 3rd gear shift while accelerating?
Is your car skipping at highway speeds when the throttle is held constant?
Both are throttle body valve problems and both will take a lot of yelling to get fixed. The software download has mixed results. Volvo refused to fix my 2-3 shift flare because they couldn't replicate it in the two fifteen minute drives. I'm still working on the oscillation/surge problem at highway speeds after an unsucessful $150 download.

Give the search function a try. There are many threads on both subjects.

Good luck and welcome to the forums!

Shoop Dog
07-08-2004, 05:30 PM
I recently encountered this problem on my 2001 XC and had it resolved with my local dealer. Please see the thread http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=32650#post32650 for more details.

Jim

newv70xcmom
07-12-2004, 09:02 AM
Well the new car has gone to the dealer today. They were able to reproduce the surge and are adding the software patch. What do you guys think. Has anyone had this work?

littlewaywelt
07-12-2004, 06:20 PM
I'd go ahead and schedule the follow up appointment now. ;)