PDA

View Full Version : What percent of XC owners don't realize how cool the car is?

gibbons
07-02-2004, 02:16 PM
I was at my friend's $2meg house helping him get his Mustang ready for a car show. His wife pulled into the 4th garage bay in a new car, an S80. I asked him how he likes "the S80". He asked, "What's an S80?" Huh? He was dead serious. I said, "Ummm..... the Volvo...." He said, "Oh, that, I told Peterson (a neighbor who is a general manager at a Honda dealership) to find me a nice new car, and he picked that one."

Man, I don't get it. It makes me wonder how many people driving around don't appreciate all the coolness under the sheetmetal of an XC, having bought one because they need "a station wagon." I actually find the affordable, practical technology fascinating.

AWD*V70XC
07-02-2004, 02:56 PM
Sometime it is just like banging your head against that brick wall http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_29_121.gif do these people have more money than sense? :confused:

Bluegrass-XC
07-02-2004, 04:12 PM
You friend is obviously clueless ... about Volvo's that is. :confused: :eek:

Oh yeah - in response to your original query - I think a great number of people don't realize that these are some of the most stylish AND performance rated machines on the market. I find myself waving to other V70 XC drivers and they look at me like "what the 'ell does he want". I also notice a lot of women (no offense to any here, mind you) who seem to "just drive" their cars and seem oblivious to their surroundings - but that can be said about a good many drivers in general around here. My point is - I REALLY like my XC and want others to know it - and I can't help but feel a kinship to other Volvo drivers - but they're too wrapped up in going to the grocery store of fetching the kids from soccer... I guess I should be happy that they don't run into me.

Mike
Bluegrass-XC

996redhead
07-02-2004, 09:05 PM
My two cents:

I am a Porsche owner and have found that others who purchased Porsches are also car nuts. I have heard that the BMW car club (BMWCCA) and the Porsche Club (PCA) have roughly the same number of members even though the number of vehicles is not at all comparable.

On the other hand, Volvos fall into the category of a vehicle that can be purchased just as a car. Of course, some owners are car nuts (I bought a XC70 for my mother), but a larger percentage probably are not, at least compared with a marque such as Porsche.

I think that an XC70 is cool or I would not have purchased one for my mother. As such I did not mean to negatively compare it with Porsche in this posting.

Joel

dlr97
07-03-2004, 09:06 AM
I am also a PCA, BMWCCA, SCCA, and now a VCOA member. Currently we have a 2002 Boxster and 2004 XC70, with a MINI Cooper S on order. The Volvo impresses me for its overall functionality, comfort and technology at a reasonable price. We previously had a 2000 V70XC that served us well. The XC70 is greatly improved in most ways over the 2000 design. Of course I really wanted a V70R, but we need a high-clearance vehicle for heavy snow and rough road use.

Cheers,
Dave

John@CdnRockies
07-03-2004, 09:16 AM
As a former owner of a Turbo Mustang and a Ford SVT Contour I can speak to those products. IMO, they don't compare favourably with the Volvo. Both the Mustang and SVT Contour (this is a souped up Mondeo for our European friends) offered a lot of noise but relatively modest performance - in the range of 7 seconds for 0-60 MPH. What they offered in acceleration was offset by a lack of refinement in terms of ride comfort, cabin layout and reliability.

The Volvo, on the other hand, looks under stated but is very competent. Perhaps I'm getting a bit older (sure don't drive any slower ;) ), but I'm very pleased with our purchase as can be evidenced by 5,000 kilometers of pleasure driving in the first month.