PDA

View Full Version : Tips on Rotaing Tires, Please

cetaft
07-01-2004, 06:20 PM
Hi, all - we just bought a 2000 XC SE with the 16" alloys, and I could use some advice.

Reading previous threads here, I've learned there can be "issues" if the tires wear unevenly, especially with the VC.

I have no idea how the last owner handled the tires. The front tires are a bit worn on the outsides. Some tread pattern remains, but not as much as in the center and insides. The rear tires look almost new & seem even side-to-side.

I'm thinking of rotating them to put the "better" tires up front on the primary driving wheels.

If I do have the tires rotated, should I have them done in an "X" (e.g., LF to RR) or linear (LF to LR)?

OR, am I courting disaster with the VC? Should I bite the bullet and replace all four tires and start fresh? (Not my first choice, but tires are ultimately cheaper than a VC.)

BTW, we live in the Land of Bumps and Potholes, so I've taken the pressure down to the "optional" recommended setting of 32F/33R to minimize jolts to my kidneys & keep me from periodically popping my head against the roof. (It rides kinda rough in the city but great on the highway.)

Will this lower tire pressure affect wear or handling to any noticable degree?

Thanks.