PDA

View Full Version : Do you all do your own maintenance?

coachhomer
06-29-2004, 11:15 AM
What do you guys do on your own?

I am a member of a Ford Truck forum and we try to do all of our own work on our trucks, and with the wealth of knowledge on the message board, there isn't much we can't do or figure out how to do on our own.

I am just curious what you guys do on your own.

thanks,

Scott

coachhomer
06-29-2004, 03:57 PM
no one does anything? check tire pressure?

Scott

ChicagoXC
06-29-2004, 10:53 PM
I put gas in mine. :p

ChicagoXC
06-29-2004, 10:59 PM
Actually, I have done a lot of reading on this site about DIY maintenance.

I, for one, have only had my XC for 2 months and I replaced my front pads and rotors. I also upgraded the speakers in the rear doors (one was blown). I replaced the wiper blades and the sockets for the front turn signals (one had intermittent connection).

I am working on replacing the front end clunk noise by using neoprene/urethane bushings in place of the inferior rubber ones on the stabilizer and sway bars.

I find alot of reference to the "computer" in most of the current threads about DIY maintenance. :mad: It seems like EVERYTHING goes through the computer and your really can't do tooooo much without a VADIS download or a Dealer reset or some other crap that requires a trip to the stealership (love that word) :rolleyes:. However, as we break the code.. we will DIY more and more.

Mr. P
06-30-2004, 07:28 AM
I also belong to another forum or three, due to the fact that I own some old Porsches and boats, and I do a lot of my maintenance, however, on a "new" vehicle there's just not too much to do (thankfully)!

The Road & Track extended ownership survey they're doing has a category called "problem areas", and the entry under that category had the word "none". Pretty awesome vehicle.

Mr. P

coachhomer
06-30-2004, 07:45 AM
Mr. P,
two things...

1. I see that you are from Nashville. I am in Florida and I am not getting competitive pricing down here. We only have 1 volvo dealer in about a 100 mile radius. How did you do on your purchase, if you don't mind me asking?

2. I see that you are an Architect. I work for a small architectural firm down here in Orlando. We are roofing and waterproofing consultants for commercial facilities.
What kind of work do you do?

Anyone else can chime in here to, cause I was wondering if the $1806 manufacturer to dealer rebate is available for the AWD 2.5T. I am finding that it is available for all other models but that one, is that true?

thanks,

scott

johnnh01v70xc
06-30-2004, 01:30 PM
Scott,

The big incentive was on the T6 when I bought 3 weeks ago. I think the 2.5T's started moving quicker because of the rise in gas prices, so they were incentivizing the T6 more. I'll recheck my numbers tonight, but I think there was $500 incentive on the 2.5T through today (06/30/04)?

I think the reason for the shortages (in general) is that production is ending in July for the 2004 model, in prepearation for the start of 2005's. So basically what is allocated/in the pipline is it until this fall.

I bought from dealer stock, and paid dealer invoice less the Volvo incentive. From what you are saying now, that may have been a good deal?

Good luck

Botanique
07-01-2004, 12:05 PM
One of the nice things about being an expat is the full maintenance lease. They pick up the car at the office, do whatever it is they do, then return it. Outside that, the only maintenance I do is wash it - as pointed out elsewhere on this forum, it provides intimacy with the machine that cannot be experienced when you allow you car to be dragged through an automated scratching machine (aka. car wash).