PDA

View Full Version : Volvo's Special stripped down '04 XC70 offered at $350/month lease

barrysharp
06-27-2004, 02:30 PM
Does anyone have strong opinions either +ive or -ive on Volvo's current special offering on the '04 XC70 stripped down models. I believe they come without sunroof, cloth seats and are either Black or White.

I believe the details are that the special is offered for a $2,500(approx) down and $350/month for 36 months and residual of around $20K.

My daughter is in the market and she's wavering between this offer and one of two used '03 XC70s that have 14K and 20K miles on them plus sunroof and leather for a price to be negotiated at less than $26K.

gibbons
06-27-2004, 08:04 PM
Ya know, that seems like a good deal, compared to the other stuff out there. Last week we had to take the Subaru in for a wheel bearing (one of those things require all kinds of special tools). Anyway, while at the dealership, we looked the brand new Sube wagons. One of them had a USD$33,000 sticker price. Yowza! Yeah, it had leather and a sunroof, but still, it's a Subaru pushing the XC price range.

A stripped down XC is still pretty dang nice, Turbo, Geartronic, Haldex, 16"ers, etc. What's the current cash price for a base model?

And hey, we picked white when there was the whole rainbow to choose from. I love white cars :)

TrueBlue
06-28-2004, 02:38 AM
My comments are from the other side of the pond, so are probably irrelevant.

First, my personal preferences. Having had dropheads (coupes) in my youth I couldn't do without a sunroof in my dotage, especially in your cleaner air, nor would I be hugely enthusiastic about black or white; however, as it said "never mind the quality, feel the width!

You (obviously) haven't given all the details, but is anything else 'major' missing, for example what gearbox; would your daughter be happy with a manual? I was never ecstatic about the 5 speed in my 850, but it made the car feel sporty. The GT is a bit of a boy's toy, so real loss if auto only is offered. Do you get allloys, or only steel; does it really matter?

The real issue is the residual; who will want to buy the car at the end of lease - is the residual guaranteed?

The specification looks very much like what the Police buy over here, and their cars really work hard, as well as that I have seen a number of manual XC70's (ex dealer demos) for sale recently whereas prior to that there were never any manuals to be had. I'm just wondering if Volvo have ordered too many manual gearboxes and are doing a fire sale.

I started off in Volvos, humbly, bought whatever seemed good value and enjoyed them all thoroughly. As time went by I got a bit picky,
Climate control works nicer than just a/c,
auto is so good why bother with manual,
Leather ages gracefully,
Sat Nav is a gizmo, but if it's going to reduce the resale value...
Be careful with the colour in case it's a no-no later,
and so on.

We're so spoilt with all the extras nowadays that we miss the point that all we really is a set of four wheels with reasonable comfort, and forget the rest.

SO if having done your sums - properly this time - not only for the purchase, but also for the end cost (if any), and you still think it's good value; then go for it. I always have an eye for the undervalued, then if most other things in the purchase seem, then I go for it. I have seldom been disappointed.

You do have to be prepared to buck the trend.

later - after luncheon

Intrigued I had a look at the Volvo US site; the offer is for a base car, plain paint (hence only black or white) and cloth seats. You do get alloys, but the configurator is silent on other things - e.g. radio, climate control.

Worse still the offer is only open until July 5, (buy now regret it later), only for cars in stock, and only for a base (?MRSP) price of $34,430 - the configurator has a base of $34,810 - how so??.

Is the lease deal anything special? Noe of the other Volvo deals mentioned how much, yes, there appears to be a "cash back" of $2k, but I assume you'd get some discount in a direct deal.

At the risk of incurring your wrath (I'm sure you wont attack me like somebody on the '90 forum did to AWD*), wouldn't a higher spec: V70, say 2.5T or even 2.5T AWD give better value? The former has Premium (leather and moonroof) and paint for $35,800 including destination fee.

After all that mebbe a late 2003 at $12,000 less complete with bells and whistles sounds good value. That's only 6 -9 months old, not long in the life of a Volvo.

andyfr
06-28-2004, 04:25 AM
I am waiting for the XC60 as a possible replacement for my Land Rover Freelander in a few years time. I will be looking for certain things.

Cloth seats - Don't like leather
Manual gearbox - Don't like autos
No sunroof - Can't stand them
Possibly Black - Unless there is a really nice metalic blue

So that is basically your "stripped down" version.

If it is a good deal then why not go for it?

Andy.

NeuDaddi
06-28-2004, 05:51 AM
XC60? What the heck is that? I've heard of a so-called XC50...but 60???

I think its a decent idea and a good deal when compared to similar offerings from other companies, specifically the Subaru wagons as already pointed out by Gibbons. Really, how else can you get such a capable wagon for this kind of a price?

Are there any real ramifications to those of us who already own XC70s if Volvo sells a whole lot more of them?

andyfr
06-28-2004, 06:09 AM
XC60? What the heck is that? I've heard of a so-called XC50...but 60???

Here you are XC60 (http://forums.thecarfanatics.com/index.php?showtopic=1553&st=0&#entry12165)

AWD*V70XC
06-28-2004, 12:28 PM
The rumour was for a XC50 to entice the younger driver over to Volvo but the way the present 50 is constructed it will not be possible to make it a 4x4/XC.

Word on the street is that the XC60 will be placed below the XC70 to aim at a different buyer. I don't think I would go down to a XC60 after having a XC70 but likewise I would not go up to the XC90 either so let's hope the replacement XC70 in three years time is very similar otherwise I might have to change models again. :(

It should also be interesting to see how the H30 sells, but I guess this will be aimed at the housewife with two kids and wants to compete against the A3.