PDA

View Full Version : Radio??

Poolld
06-24-2004, 07:39 PM
I just purchased a used HU613 to replace my HU413 radio in my 2001 V70 X/C. The dealer tells me that he has to install software into the radio in order enter the code. However, since the radio was pulled from another car he doesn't think the radio will take the software. However, he did say we could try a converter in order to take the software. Has anyone came across this situation? or is the dealer just trying to get money out of this customer?
poolld :confused:

gibbons
06-25-2004, 08:56 PM
When I was toying with my 613 (adding subwoofer and cross-overs on door speakers), I went to one of the major car audio places for ideas. When they saw what car it was, they just said they didn't do anything with Volvos because the stereo is integrated in with some main computer and if you mess with it, the car won't run. I don't know about that, but there is software in the 613. Volvo has an amplifier upgrade, and one the new amp is in, the system needs a VADIS download to work.

That's just what I have heard.

NeuDaddi
06-28-2004, 05:58 AM
This thread reminds me of a conversation I was having with someone recently about what we really own when we purchase a car. When I buy a Volvo, shouldn't I also be purchasing a OEM software license to all of the software running in my car? Shouldn't I get manuals for the software and have the ability to purchase hardware and software that allows for me to use that software beyond its operation of the car? I am looking at this as a techie and I know this isn't how the auto industry works, but it seems to me that since I own this car, I should have the ability to do whatever I want to it, including making "options" changes in VADIS on my own.

I know its much less expensive, but when I buy a computer, I get the software licensing for the OS and the applications running on the computer. I don't need to go back to Dell or Apple or Microsoft for that matter and have any of them make configuration changes for me (well, not usually...). I just don't see why the same model can't work for our vehicles.

ifnt420
06-28-2004, 09:22 AM
I am looking at this as a techie and I know this isn't how the auto industry works, but it seems to me that since I own this car, I should have the ability to do whatever I want to it, including making "options" changes in VADIS on my own.
I totally agree. ;)
I think that Volvo is listening to us though, the new S40/V50 has the capability of changing most VADIS options through the trip computer on the center console.
Such as:
Autolock after 5mph
Approach light duration
Single or Double lock/unlock
.....etc.
Most of the stuff that we have to pay the dealer $30 to change can be done now through the onboard trip computer. :rolleyes:

Bluegrass-XC
06-28-2004, 09:45 AM
... but when I buy a computer, I get the software licensing for the OS and the applications running on the computer. I don't need to go back to Dell or Apple or Microsoft for that matter and have any of them make configuration changes for me. ... I just don't see why the same model can't work for our vehicles.That would be too logical. :eek: I'm in total agreement with you, though. It doesn't make sense to have to pay Volvo (or the dealer) for this sort of thing.

Gibbons,
Since we're on the subject, are you saying that if I want to get the "add-on" amp for the stereo, I have to pay for a VADIS software upgrade?

Mike
Bluegrass-XC

Poolld
06-29-2004, 06:59 PM
Thanks to everyone that replied to my thread.
I totally agree, why should we have to continually pay Volvo for the software of the car we purchased. If anything shouldn't that be part of the warranty or free service to all owners. I mean it's not like the tech has to pull the engine and replace a valve.

gibbons
06-29-2004, 08:16 PM
Mike, yes, I was told by the Volvo dealer that if you add the Volvo amp to upgrade an HU-613, a VADIS download is required to make it work. I added the Volvo subwoofer, and it plugged right in without any downloads, though.

Here's one for us to think about... what about when the cpu hardware becomes obsolete, and we have to throw away the car because we can't get a replacement chip? :) I work in the automation industry, and that happens all the time on various controllers.

Poolld
06-30-2004, 07:28 PM
So, finally question. Does anyone know if the HU613, I purchased, will accept the software if I replace my HU403? :cool: