PDA

View Full Version : 03 vs 04

TX-XC70
06-23-2004, 01:22 PM
I am new to the site and haven't gotten a Xc70 yet, although I have been a fan for quite a while. I am in the process of trying to get my 04 VW Touareg bought back due to all the problems. I am planning on getting a Cross Country, my question is this. I found a 2003 that is loaded out with nav and everything with 22k miles. Its a great deal, but I am skeptical about buying a used car. It is certified and the dealership says it came from Volvo Financial Fleet Department. Does anyone know what exactly this means? Was this a lease or what? Trying to decide how this car would have been treated.

Any other tips you could give me about the difference between 03 and 04 would also be great. Thanks for you help, and I look forward to being a regular on the board.

DrJazz
06-23-2004, 03:27 PM
I believe the 04 primarily added ZF steering, though some late build 03's reportedly have it, too. I think the new 2.5 litre 208 hp engine was introduced with the 03's, but I've read elsewhere that it was only introduced with the 04s so you may wish to check this out further. At any rate, the 2.4 litre 197 hp engine is quite acceptable.

- DrJazz

leadingedge
06-23-2004, 03:41 PM
Not sure, but I also think the horsepower bump was on the '03.

I wouldn't worry about the fact that it's used. The certified warranty is basically the same as the new car warranty (with a $50 deductive) and will run just as long or longer because it's only an '03.

Someone else here can tell you what that Fleet is, I'm new here too. I suspect that a Volvo employee drove the car for work. When I was shopping, I had a dealer tell me about an '03 with similar mileage that was "driven by a Volvo executive". Probably the same thing.

dlr97
06-23-2004, 03:51 PM
Some 2003's may not have the improved ZF steering, however. You might test drive a 2004 and compare steering to the used 2003 you are considering. 2004's also have the improved Z-rated Scorpion STR tires, so that may affect steering feel.

Good luck,
Dave

barrysharp
06-23-2004, 07:31 PM
Very little changed going from 2003 to 2004. Bi-Xenon light option and improved speed sensitive ZF steering is about all they changed.

HP and tires are same in 2003 and 2004.

The 2003 XC70 is a good solid choice and I say go for it especially given it has a Volvo warranty to back you up.

Also, if you value the Nav System you aren't going to find too many XC70s with this option and therefore this would another compelling reason to go for the 2003.

Just my 2cents worth. :) ...and good luck with your decision making.

mrb
06-23-2004, 07:46 PM
I have an O4 and there is no big differance between the two. Buy the one you want with options you want--Navagation system if important would probably be best buy on 03--if you want DSTC you would go 04---either one would be great

TX-XC70
06-24-2004, 07:06 AM
Thanks for all your responses, I guess I am just concerned about how the car was broken in and driven for the first 20k miles. I am tired of car problems for a while.

I was just excited to see the 03 because it has the nav and premium sound, two options that I can't seem to find at dealerships.

Now I just hope I can get rid of my VW before they sell the Cross Country.

XCMark
06-26-2004, 01:46 PM
I bought our 2003 XC with just under 15,000 miles on it last September and it has been superb. Only one owner before us and it was kept in great shape, just as we keep it now. Our Volvo-only mechanic says it is in meticulous shape. It now has 23,000 miles on it and have never had so much as a squeak happen. I wanted a 2003 vs. an older model since they made a significant amount of changes and upgrades. From what I understand, there were not those kinds of significant upgrades/changes from '03 to '04. From where I stand and from our experience, you'd be fine getting the '03.

AGXC70
09-01-2004, 06:05 PM
I was thinking about getting a used xc too... but knew I would wonder what did the orignl onwer(s) do to the car...

that and the fact I wouldnt be able to get excatly what I wanted made me opt for a new 04xc70... to get cheaper I went with OSD and got a free trip out of it.

Good luck

-G