PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on 2001 XC's

leadingedge
06-16-2004, 06:11 PM
I am shopping for an used 2001-2003 XC70. I read (on this board, I think) that the early 2001 cars tended to have problems and to look for cars built later in the 2001 build year. If I opt for a 2001, can anyone offer me a VIN range or build date that I can use to guage if the car is too early in the 2001 year? I did a search, but no luck. Thanks in advance.

littlewaywelt
06-17-2004, 05:30 PM
My car was built in 9/00. From personal experience, I wouldn't advise getting anything built before that. The further you get from that time, probably the better off you are. I have a couple of friends with late build 01s and their cars have been fine.

If you can swing an 03, that would be the way to go in my opinion since you'll get a car with Haldex awd rather than a mechanical vc awd system. If the previous owner wasn't responsible about tire pressure, it could cause major awd problems down the line. The haldex system is not suseptible to this problem.

hope that helps some
lww

leadingedge
06-18-2004, 09:43 AM
Thanks. I'm lobbying for the '03 just because I think Haldex will perform better in the snow here in Pittsburgh, but if we see a great deal on an '01, I'll heed your advice.

Prepo
06-18-2004, 04:01 PM
This might help: I have a 2001 XC delivered in Canada from Belgium in January 2001 as a factory order and manufactured in late 2000. Therefore I know it was not one of the early models. The VIN number is:

YV1SZ58D811017525

I agree that Volvo seemed to sort out some automatic transmission issues before this. For example, a valve body component was revised and software improved. I know that my VIN does not qualify for a valve body job which means the problem was already resolved, I assume. Apart from one software upgrade (which you can expect to have taken place in the potential used car - and you can simply take the car for an extended test drive and reassure yourself that the automatic and geartonic work just fine and smoothly without double changes or abrupt engaging), there has been no transmission issue and it works just fine. I would see no reason not to buy a late 2001 if it's been well looked after with proper maintenance record, mileage is not extortionate, original Scorpion tires have been replaced with something decent, and you are offered at least some warranty assuming you buy through a dealer (which I would advise), and that on your test drive you make sure you hear no thumps (worn control arms) or wheel bearing whine. Right now, a number of lease cars are coming back to the dealers and, if the price is right, you could pick up a nice vehicle. With regard to Haldex in 2003: naturally, you will pay more for this being newer and with fewer lease cars being available yet. Potentially, the Haldex is superior but, to be fair, the pre-Haldex system is pretty good. The foreman at my dealership tells me that he has not heard of a single transmission failure yet but its a personal decision to evaluate risk. I was very wary of potential transmisison problems when I bought my car and went with an extended warranty. Whether this was economically wise is yet to be seen (I don't lease my car and expect to keep it for another 4 years) but I am more reassured now because I have not heard of any horror stories from any source about transmission failure.

Let us know what you decide and good luck.

wiz
06-20-2004, 09:54 AM
I would agree with the sentiment to get the MY2003 if you can. However I think the performance differences between the two AWD systems is marginal unless you really push the cars. Lets face it, most of us use the car as family transport...

That said, there are an awful lot of viscous-coupled AWD wagons out there, Subaru as well as Volvo, and most of them are doing pretty well. A late '01 or an '02 will probably be a reliable ride. We have a MY2002 built in April and purchased in August of that year and so far (touch wood) it has been excellent. :)

leadingedge
06-21-2004, 02:49 PM
Thanks to everyone for the info. We went to the dealer on Saturday, and the incentives on the 2004's are too good to pass up. Only $7k or so difference between '01 and '04, and only about $2k between '03 used and '04 new. That's real money, but the '04 is, well, new. And has Haldex and a smidge more power. So we're going with that. You'll be seeing me around here more often.

John@CdnRockies
06-21-2004, 04:14 PM
You will love the car. When fellow board members indicated that was the case, I kind of shrugged them off. After I wound up driving over 1,800 km (1,200 miles) on the first weekend - I turned into a believer!

For the record, my rig came without a single glitch ... nothing. I have never had that happen before despite owning Japanese product most of my life.

Southern Volvo Owner
07-01-2004, 01:17 PM
The 2001 are ridden with lots of problems.

I think Volvo has fixed alot of those problems - they tried to introduce too much fancy electronic stuff and make it seem more technical. Volvo's are to be solid and reliable.

My wife's 2001 (got my fingers cross) this is the first time in 6 months since we owned the car that it hasn't spend atleast one day a week in the shop. My wife has driven so many loaner cars she now knows this is her first and last Volvo.

I am a Lexus fan myself - live in the hot south - Air conditioners in the Lexus are top notch. I think if I lived somewhere where it was cold, I would probably by a 2004 but never another 2001. Atleast we bought the 7 year 100k warranty so we will keep her until about two years left on it and trade it. Probably not get a dime for it since when someone pulls the maintenance history they will get a novel printed instead. O'well live and learn!!!

Hope you have years of happy motoring.....