PDA

View Full Version : XC90 ECU upgrades

Mr. P
06-07-2004, 09:42 AM
I post this for general information purposes only. It's the IPD ECU upgrade page. Of particular note, the 2.5 T is upgraded to 245-hp. Also note the T6 retains the factory torque rating.

I'm considering this upgrade, as I understand the motor behaves exactly like it did before until you plant your foot to the floor, as in an emergency passing situation, in which case the upgrade allows the turbo boost to go up to 14 psi and it probably adjusts ignition and valve timing a bit too. In any case, it doesn't add any wear to the car, as I understand it, unless you abuse it.

Comments are welcome!!!

http://www.ipdusa.com/ProductsCat.aspx?CategoryID=1586&NodeID=5045&RootID=629

Mr. P

Mr. P
06-12-2004, 08:54 AM
The 2.5T AWD (and perhaps the T6 too) use "low pressure turbo" technology at 8-psi maximum boost.

The TME reprogramming allows boost to reach (a maximum of) 14-psi if you keep your foot in it.

My question is, will occasional use of a 14-psi boost shorten the seals life, bearing life, or otherwise hurt the turbocharger itself, or the motor???

Mr. P

Briguy
08-17-2004, 07:30 AM
Anytime you increase horsepower you decrease reliability and life. That's why you see 1000cc motorcycles pumping out 100+ horsepower only last 10-20k miles. I know in boat diesels, when you pump the turbo pressure up on a motor to the 35psi range life is 1500 hours vs non turbo that would last 5000+hours. That being said, we are not talking about a boat that is under constant 3/4 throttle nor a bike that redlines at 12.5k. The wonderful thing about a turbo is it idles till you need it. Only under maximum throttle will the turbo develop maximum boost.

As for the price, it's way high. You can do a search on yahoo under xc 90 performance and find plenty of links to upgrade your ecu. Many are priced as low as 3-400 bucks. One company Rica is now in the USA and you will soon be able to reprogram your turbo at the dealer.