PDA

View Full Version : Nokian WRs, 215/65 vs 235/60

gibbons
02-26-2004, 07:16 PM
I've stated before, I really like Nokians (have them on our 3 winter vehicles), so I bought a set of 215/65 WR's to replace the 04's brand new Pirelli STRs. I thought the 215 WR's are great: fabulous slick traction and very quiet. But the ride was not as smooth as the STRs. That bothered me, they made the XC ride pretty rough. "Trucky" as one forum-er described them. I was a little dismayed at the actual ride, because if you read WR reviews in other car forums, everyone says they are nice riding. When I contacted the Nokian importer, they were puzzled too. But they have a 30 day satisfaction gaurantee, so cool, I wanted to explore!

The 215/65's are designated as "SUV" (bad sign IMHO). On the Tellus 7" rims, their sidewalls were quite vertical. I think Nokians are traditionally tall and skinny looking for their stated size. In high school we would have called them pizza cutters.

Looking at the other sizes in the WR Passenger car line, I saw the 235/60's were only .1" taller, a fraction of a mile per hour difference at 60mph. Plus, the reference rim width for them is 7". I asked the Nokian guys to let me try the 235s, since I wasn't totally satisfied with the 215's. They cheerfully obliged.

The 235's look really great on the wheels. Measuring the body width with my caliper, the WR 215/65's were 8.75" wide (tall and narrow theme) the 215/65 STRs were 9.0", and the WR 235's are 9.38" (.2 wider on each side than the STRs). But tread width is only 16mm wider than the 215. They don't look like 4x4 monster mudders, just tastefully more aggressive kinda like the Audi All-Roads. There are no fenderwell clearance issues.

The SUV and P versions have the exact same tread, but different sidewall graphics. I don't know if the SUV models have beefed up or stiffened sidewalls, or if the 7" wheel was too wide for optimum fit. I guess I will never know.

So, what do I think? As the post description says, I think there is an astonishing difference. These ride much smoother than the 215's and even the STRs, but they're not like driving a water bed. The noise level seems to be the same as the 215/65 WRs. Hitting expansion joints no longer produces that annoying thump/thud. My body no longer gets jolted on rough roads. They are great. The seller's remorse for selling the STRs has finally gone away. Yea!

I drove them on snow today, and I think the traction is as good as the 215's even though some would argue the contact patch PSI theory. I read somewhere, though, that with siping technology, a larger patch is better. Whatever. Since I didn't buy the XC for autocross, I don't think I will care much how they handle in the summer time.

I liked the WR 215s a lot, but I'm totally satisfied with the 235s. Interesting, though, I would never have thought to buy them in the first place. I sure am glad that Nokian has that guarantee. I recommend the 235's, these babies are nice http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/thumbs-up.gif

EDIT: Here is a picture of the tires on the car, it's in another thread too.

http://www.xc70.com/pics/albums/userpics/10001/WRs.jpg

Stu in Oregon
02-26-2004, 07:57 PM
That is interesting gibbons. I never even thought about trying the 235s. I just went right to the Michelin Synchrones with the Hakkapoliitta Qs for the winter and have been very happy. But I loved what the WRs concept was/is and was very impressed with their actual abilities. They are the answer for so many "SUV" and "crossover" owners it seems to me. But the ride with the 215s was too much for me and they were a small amount noisier I thought as well. I almost wish I had thought about your tact!

PS - I was the poster who had described my 215 WRs as "too truckish".

Outrageous
02-26-2004, 10:17 PM
I wonder what the load rating is.  Can you post some photos so we can see how these look?  Thanks.

gibbons
02-27-2004, 07:21 PM
Whoa, day two, and I like them even better! With the 215's, as I drove along, I used to notice road imperfections and anticipate the thump. No more. Smooth and quiet.

The load ratings are: 215 98H 235 100H So, they're close, but I don't think there is a direct, linear correlation between load capacity and ride quality. While working the US Nokian guys, they fired off an Email to Finland to ask my questions before swapping the tires. The guy at Nokian HQ said that there was no construction difference between the SUV and the P, and the 235's should actually ride more stiff just based on the load ratings. I think he was reading the brochure instead of the engineering design prints. I took the chance anyway. The Nokian guys said if I didn't like the 235's better, I could have the 215's back. How's that for congenial?

Here is a picture of the Sube with 195/60-14 Hakka Qs and the XC with 235/60-16 WR (P). As you can see, the WRs don't look like balloon tires at all. They are very well proportioned on the 7" rim (reference standard size), and even give the wheels a little breathing room for when my wife curbs them. I really like the look. Oh, yeah, I like springtime so I can take the Q's off, they howl on the Sube.

Edit: Dang, I can't get the picture in.  Any hints? it's currently on my hard drive, not a web page.

TrueBlue
02-28-2004, 02:40 AM
Subject to the facility being available (Coastal had disabled attachments as he is migrating the board - perhaps this weekend), have you tried uploading your pic. into the photo library - you can do this from your PC - clicking on "properties" to find out where it is and keying in / cut and paste the URL (address) into your message. It seems to be working for some recent posts I have seen.

Big Al
03-04-2004, 08:02 PM
How are those 235/60 Nokian's doing, now that its another week later?  I'm now down to choosing either them, the 215/65 WR, or maybe even the STR's (but I'd rather not the Pirelli's...).  The Michelin Synchrone's are way too pricey...and why?  Any there doesn't seem to be something comparable in either Goodyear or Goodrich.  
I have about a month before I need to decide, since the '01 XC is on the road/out of town for awhile in warmer climes away from Minnesota (snow tonight by the way...).  So I'm interested in hearing your weekly commentaries on the Nokians.  All the best, Big Al.

Raynald
03-04-2004, 08:33 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Big Al @ Mar. 04 2004,19:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">(...). So I&#39;m interested in hearing your weekly commentaries on the Nokians. (...)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I&#39;ll second that&#33; http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/thumbs-up.gif ...looking myself for new tires. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

gibbons
03-04-2004, 09:57 PM
Weekly commentary: I love them. Seeing at how aggressive they look in the picture, you would expect them to howl. But they are really quiet. And smooth. Currently, I am switching off driving the XC and our I30 (a respectable sedan) which has Continental TouringContact CH95&#39;s. Those are OEM on some MBs and BMWs, so presumably a good tire. Given, it&#39;s not an A/B comparison because of suspension and other factors, but the 235 WRs are smoother and quieter than the Continentals. But the Continentals were smoother than the 215 WRs. I tell ya, the difference between the 215 and 235 is amazing.

I had lowered the 215&#39;s down to 30 psi to try to smooth them out, but I am running the 235&#39;s at 32 front, 34 rear and they are still waaay nicer. The 34 in the rear seems to reduce the XCs &quot;tail wag&quot; oversteer, with no compromise at all in ride quality. There&#39;s another benefit.

I would like to guarantee you guys considering WRs that you will like them, but Nokian does that for you. For my intents and purposes, I can not think of any reasons to get the 215&#39;s, except that they are about &#036;15 each less. You won&#39;t remember the &#036;60 you saved after 40K miles.

And finally, as I have said before, I think that Nokians look a little skinny for their advertised size. Just like the 215 Nokians were 1/4&quot; narrower than the 215 STRs. I have 235 Uniroyals on the front of my Chevelle, and the 235 Nokians look narrower, and the tread is in fact narrower. Who knows, may another manufacturer&#39;s 235/60 would look silly.

No, I don&#39;t work for Nokian &nbsp; http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Raynald
03-04-2004, 10:17 PM
Thanks gibbons&#33; Your comments are always instructive. &nbsp;http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/thumbs-up.gif

TrueBlue
03-05-2004, 03:17 AM
I&#39;m very confused Guys,

On the Nokian International site, the WR is classed as an all season tyre. Further, the blurb says &#39;good&#39; performance in slush - now in ad. terms &#39;good&#39; really means &#39;not very&#39;.

Now, over there, you all rave about them as Winter tyres - nobody has said anything about all year round use.

Anybody like to chip in with some comments?

In England Nokian is not too well represented, and we haven&#39;t a proper winter in the South for years and years, so maybe WR&#39;s are a bit of an over kill - except they may offer better grip on other slippery surfaces.

I am being offered Nokian NRZi (sounds like an IBM product), for my wife&#39;s V70 - anybody used them.

Comments welcome.