PDA

View Full Version : Plastic engine grate $30

barrysharp
04-26-2003, 03:49 PM
This is the black plastic engine grate that comes standard on MY2003 XC70. I replaced mine at FDC with the metal engine grate and have no use for the original one.

Sale price is $30 + S&H to within North America (includes Canada). If you feel this is over priced then Email me and make your best offer as I have no real need to keep this item.

BTW I'll have this item when my XC70 arrives about May 19th as it's shiiping inside the car.

Low Tide
04-26-2003, 09:02 PM
That's cheap Barry!  They are $200 new.

barrysharp
04-26-2003, 09:11 PM
Hmmmm -- didn't know a piece of Volvo plastic could sell for that much http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif
...but I have no use for it and I'm willing to give someone a break as I got many 'breaks' from other forum members in the process of buying via OSD.

Low Tide
04-27-2003, 10:32 AM
I stand corrected Barry....

Jason (Hiro's XC) notes that the piece is $250 retail.  He's selling his for $75 plus shipping.

BTW:  Volvo didn't offer to let me keep mine.  Should I ask about it?

barrysharp
04-27-2003, 10:51 AM
Low Tide:

FDC/Hans never offered or mentioned to me about the disposal of the plastic engine grate either. I always figure if I replace a standard component I'm entitled to it as I've already paid for it. With this in mind I made Hans aware of what I expected as part of the metal plate installation. Hans had no problem with this and simply included the plastic engine grate in the Bill of Laden along with my other accessories shipped back to USA with my car. It was a no brainer of a transaction.

This same thing happened on my '86 Volvo GLE when I bought it. I had the manual cranked sunroof upgraded to electric but at the time I forgot to retain the manual crank components. Years later when the sunroof's electric motor failed and not wanting to spend $300-$400 for its repairs and thought about the manual components I had left behind at the dealership http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif  I returned to my dealership which had been sold to another party and argued my case. The new Volvo dealership owner felt he had no obligation to the previous owner but being a sensible business man and considering my plight and my argument he without hesitation told his parts person to order all the manual sunroof parts for me free of charge. It took but 1 hour of my time to convert from electric to manual and Sandberg Volvo Northwest stands to keep me a customer for life http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

It comes down to lessons learned over time.

If you have the time and energy you could approach your dealership about the fact the plastic engine grate wasn't given to you. I'd also Email Hans and ask him how to proceed given that Mr Sharp was allowed to keep his -- and I don't mind you using my name. FDC should treat its customers consistently otherwise they stand to lose goodwill.

I'm sorry if I'm undercutting Jason's sale item but I'd like to provide someone a break, get rid of something I'll probably never use while not letting it go for free.

barrysharp
04-28-2003, 10:24 AM
My dealership Parts person indicated the Engine Protection Plate (Part # 8634813) costs $100.05.

I've approached my sales person to see if dealership will accept the plate as a 'returned' item as it's brand new apart from having been bolted onto car and removed. I doubt if they will oblige me with a refund but I see no harm asking. An alternative is to sell it to a local Wrecking yard or on eBay I suppose.