PDA

View Full Version : Tracking osd

barrysharp
02-07-2003, 11:11 AM
The OSD literature states it can take 40 to 50 days for car to be delivered from FDC to ones dealership in USA. This is a fair amount of time and I would find it comforting to know how the shipment is progressing during this time.

Does Volvo provide a means for its OSD customers to track the shipment -- much like we can these days on FedEx, AirborneExpress and UPS? If so, can anyone describe this process and how well it worked.

Thanks.

bavioder
02-07-2003, 12:42 PM
When you return the car, they will have you fill out some forms pertaining to the home shipment programs and marine insurance.  The form will show when your car will leave sweden and the estimated time it will arrive at the dealership.  In my case, I returned the car on Jan 21 and the ship date was Feb 1 and the arrival date at the dealership is Feb 28.  There is no tracking that I am aware of like FEDEX but my understanding is that these estimates are pretty good.

stevel0923
02-07-2003, 12:47 PM
Volvo uses NYK Shipping Line and I was trying to do tracking on the car but they only provide this service on regular Cargo ships and not RORO car transport ships (Roll On Roll Off).  I tried really hard to do this away with many phone called to NYK Shipping and emails to Jason.

rkestner
02-10-2003, 08:41 AM
barry,

have you visited my write-up at www.virtualtourist.com, member homepage=RichardBlaine?  most of the questions you post on the forum i have answered in my writeup, complete with photos?http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif

our car came into brunswick, ga and the customs/ground shipment was handled by Encore forwarding in jacksonville, fl.  i would highly recommend you find out where your shipping agent is, give them a call when you return from your trip and update/make sure they have good phone #s, etc. for you.  

one of the biggest lessons learned for us was the delay in cross country shipment of our car because we had a post office box address vice a physical address.  additionally, we were travelling and missed encore's phone calls for almost a week.  if i had given them the cell phone #, perhaps we would not have had the almost two week delay in clearing customs and getting shipped from ga/fl to tx/nm.  your forwarder/customs clearance firm will be listed in the documentation they give you at the fdc or wherever you turn in for shipment.  it is probably important to place close attention to this info if you want a fast delivery.

hope this is helpful.

ps - our agent at encore was wendy, and she was just great!