PDA

View Full Version : Paying with ax

barrysharp
01-21-2003, 08:10 PM
I'm just curious about whether anybody has successfully convince their dealership to accept paying for the car or some large portion of it with their American Express charge card WITHOUT the dealership also requiring the fee they pay to AX.

I pay for my servicing bills with my AX and some have been quite large in the past and my dealership doesn't charge me extra for this.

I'm sure my dealership would want the AX fee if I approached them with such a scheme for buying the car.

stevel0923
01-21-2003, 09:07 PM
They let me pay the the initial $2000 down payment to order the car with an MC card but they wouldn't let me pay the other portion of the down payment.  I guess it was too much!

barrysharp
01-21-2003, 09:19 PM
Yes -- I missed that opportunity unfortunately when I paid my $2000 deposit. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif

Gundo
01-22-2003, 09:43 AM
A dealer would be crazy to allow such a thing.  Cuts in to their margin.  That said, it may be worth asking.  Most dealers have already been asked by at least 1 previous customer, and unless you are overpaying for your new car, chances are answer will be no.

budrichard
01-22-2003, 09:48 AM
My dealer did not require a deposit for my order but I wrote a $500 check anyway and they accepted my personal check for the vehicle when it arrived. It would be nice to get those Memerbership Rewards points but the dealership is not crazy either. -Dick

Chipshot
01-22-2003, 12:11 PM
It's too bad dealers can't negotiate their fees with the credit card companies. What would make sense for both parties (as well as for consumers) would be a sliding scale, with the first $1,000 or $2,000 at "traditional" rates and decreasing rates as the purchase amount increases.  Sort of like the U.S. income tax system in reverse.

I have to say that the title made me chuckle.  The image it evoked was of a Volvo customer holding an ax and demanding that a salesperson hand over a car.  Sort of a twist on the old "your money or your life" demand.

Toots!
01-22-2003, 10:05 PM
My dealer allowed me to charge the CDN$1500 deposit on a credit card, and has agreed to an additional charge of $3000 at the time of pickup of my new 2003 XC70. That will be good for a few reward points anyway.

The salesman told me of a prior customer buying a large expensive vehicle from him and agreeing to pay the upcharge that the dealership would incur as a result of the credit card purchase. He told the salesman he'd have enough points for a trip to Europe. Go figure!http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/huh2.gif

The latest update on my baby's delivery is the first week of February. Can't wait to test it out in these very wintry conditions. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/hehe.gif I find myself looking longingly at those rare XC70's that I find in my world!

Falron
01-23-2003, 04:08 AM
G'day,
When I purchased my Saab 9000 - the salesman was more than happy to accept the amex as full payment. At approx. AU$60,000 I wonder what the merchant fee was?

rkestner
01-23-2003, 04:57 AM
i paid the $2K deposit w/amex on osd.  always use the card for accessories, service, etc.  used the amex card at the fdc in gothenborg for accessories, gifts, and doo-dads.  used the membership rewards points converted to frequent flier miles for the stateside connecting flights for the osd flights.  i have always wanted to buy a car with amex.  maybe next time.