PDA

View Full Version : When and where i supposed to get the car title?

stain
06-25-2003, 10:49 AM
My loan company wants at least a copy of the title got sent to them as soon as possible.  http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif

BillAileo
06-25-2003, 02:15 PM
Stain,
You'll eventually get the title from whatever state you elect to register & title the car in. What you'll get from Volvo when you pick up a car in Sweden is a Certficate of Origin, which looks very much like a title and serves about the same purpose until the vehicle is "home." If memory serves me correctly, you'll need to present that Certficate of Origin to the appropriate State officials when you title the car and at that time you'll need to inform them of the secured interest held by your lender.

stain
06-25-2003, 03:34 PM
So, if I get the title during registration, can I register it upon my return without the actual car (which is being shipped)? Also, can I deduct milage that I am supposed to get during the trip and claim it as a used car? Should I take a photo of the front panel to prove the milage?

BillAileo
06-25-2003, 04:43 PM
The answers are going to depend upon the particular requirements under you state's laws.

Title/Registration: I think in most states applying for the title and registering, although usually done at the same time, are actually separate transactions and in some cases can be done separately. You might be able to apply for both the title and registration now without the car, but I think most states want you to have an insurance card before they will register you and some want an inspection done before registration. In light of these issues, you probably don't want to try to register until you've got the vehicle, but you probably could go ahead and apply for the title as soon as you have the certificate of origin and bill of sale, if that's what you need to do to make your lender happy.

Taxes: Different states have different tax regimes on autos. Here in Pennsylvania its a "sales" tax. Although elsewhere on this website folks have talked about minimizing "use" taxes through taking advantage of the OSD miles put on their cars, I haven't figure out anyway that would work on the sales tax here because (1) the presentation of a certificate of origin from the manufacturer establishes that it is a new car first owned by you, and (2) our state wants to see the bill of sale..... But if you hear of a way around that please let me know: my car arrives this week.

Low Tide
06-25-2003, 05:53 PM
Stain-

You are in CA.  See the thread about CA registration.  All your info is there.

1)You will need to have the car present for inspection
2)You will need the Certificate of Origin
3)You will need the Bill of Sale from Volvo Cars
4)You will need to pay for a smog check/cert and give to DMV
5)You will need to pay vehicle title, license, reg fees
6)You will need to pay California Use Tax (DO NOT Forget&#33http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

If you manage the above... its a smooth process.  The most important thing is to follow the tax rules pertaining to out-of-state imports into CA (SEE Board of Equalization Info in the CA registration thread) so you do not get audited/fined/imprisoned.

Good luck, post any questions on the CA registration thread... There are quite a few of us who have been through this recently.