PDA

View Full Version : Reliability?  overseas delivery?

treegarden
01-22-2003, 04:00 PM
First of all let me say how amazed I am at this site.  I drove a rental XC70 last month and loved it, so was searching for info on the Web and stumbled across this site.  The fact that so many people are so enthusiastic certainly makes the car that much more attractive to me.
I have a couple of questions.  First, what's the general level of reliability of these cars?  How do they compare to other Volvos, and to the highest-reliability makes such as Toyota and Honda?
Second, how much can one realistically save on an XC70 when purchasing via the overseas delivery program?

Thanks!

kersti
01-22-2003, 04:27 PM
Welcome! I will be picking up my new XC70 middle of March in Sweden. I can't speak on the reliability, but I have not heard of many issues after the initial problems with the 2001 adaptive gearitronic transmission and a few rattles. These seem to have been corrected with the 2002. Like you I rented a XC70 in Colorado on vacation and loved it. My car with premium pkg, and most of touring pkg, DSTC, reversing radar, rear spoiler, upgraded speakers/amp and xtra 12V came to 33400. The trip for 2 to sweden and insurance is free. No cost to ship back to US. The free premium pkg is for cars delivered by end of March, so you would have to order quickly to qualify. Check the OSD site for prices and also call the OSD number to check for added special offers. Good Luck!

barrysharp
01-22-2003, 06:43 PM
treegarden:

Welcome. I also cannot give you any data on the XC70 2003 reliability. I can tell you that I've been buying Volvos exclusively (with one exception a Peugeot 405Mi16 in 1989) since early 1980s. I had one nasty experience of an oil pump malfunction on an early 80s Volvo 245 wagon -- piston rod broke and punched out through block. Apart from that just minor items that fail on most cars. I expect the XC70 2003 to serve me well for at least 15 years.

I've recently order my XC70 2003 via OSD and comparing my OSD price with Edmunds Typical Market Value (TMV) I'm saving $7,875.

Considering that the OSD base price is $30,800 (Tourist) vs. $34,530 TMV and if you get the free Premium package at a savings of $2,595 that totals to an immediate savings of $6,325. Some of the car's option ordered through OSD are also less expensive and so the savings mount up. Also consider you get a free round trip via SAS for two to Sweden/Goteborg and free 15-day car insurance if you need for driving about in Europe, plus they ship it back at no extra cost and you save on local dealership destination charge (approx $650), plus you obviously save on paying less local sales tax. OSD is a good deal IMO.

Good luck.

gribupirkt
01-23-2003, 02:12 PM
I've got to agree, the OSD deal is great way to buy a new car.  My order, due to be picked up at the end of March, nets me savings of approx. $7000 over the MSRP.  That, coupled with an optional $295 side trip for two to Nice, France, makes for a great incentive to buy.  I also enjoy the fact that the prices are set--no need to haggle with the dealer.

This will be my first Volvo, so I can't personally speak to reliability, but I've heard that most of the early problems with the XCs have been ironed out since the design was revamped in MY 2000.

stevel0923
01-23-2003, 08:55 PM
Consumer Report rated the Volvo as Average in Reliability which is an improvement from previous years.  The BMW and Mercedes Benz did not fair as well.  At the same time, the XC70 was considered on their recommended car list which speaks volume.   Considering how I will be going from 97 GMC Jimmy to a Volvo, it should be a vast improvement in quality and reliability which the Jimmy was not!  I hope the discussions in these forums help you discern the quality of your car.

treegarden
02-04-2003, 12:16 PM
I'm encouraged.  Thanks, everyone, for your replies.

rkestner
02-04-2003, 12:26 PM
here it is without the flowery language, suggestive innuendos, and other niceties:        DO THE OSD THING!
i had never owned a volvo before going to sweden in september to pick one up at the factory.  every day i drive the car i am more convinced it is the finest 'automobile' on the road.  if you want to move furniture-get a pickup; if you want to go really,really fast-get a corvette.  if you are looking for the finest in safety, seating & driving comfort, security of awd, etc.-get an xc70.  plenty of details of our european adventure on www.virtualtourist.com, member homepage= RichardBlaine.  osd at bottom of home page.  good luck and let me know if i can answer any questions for you.
http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif