PDA

View Full Version : Vin numbers available

Low Tide
02-10-2003, 09:44 AM
Just an FYI- I forgot to post this last week, but a lot of the VINs for the OSD Feb/Mar cars seem to be out- so ask if you have not received your vehicle's birth certificate.  

Mine was faxed to the dealer the day it after is was finished.    Be prepared to translate all those numeric codes for the color, interior, options, etc.   http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/hehe.gif   Now the final wait begins.

kersti
02-10-2003, 10:09 AM
Should you get a VIN # before final payment. My dealer said it is up to me to figure out when 30 days before delivery is and make payment there would be no notification that it is due.

AutoMonkey
02-10-2003, 10:13 AM
I did not get a VIN before final payment. I don't really care as long as the car is there when I go to pick it up - but I thought it a bit odd since I'm ordering one from the stock list rather than having it custom built. My dealer contends that it hasn't been built yet: maybe they really do build them only a short time in advance to save on inventory costs.

AutoMonkey

Low Tide
02-10-2003, 10:34 AM
Kersti....& Auto-Ape,

Good question.  I imagine your VIN is ready Kersti.  Standard practice is to fax Jason and the dealer's sales manager a copy of the birth certificate- its just a half page with a bunch of numbers and the OSD order info.  

All I can add to my case is that it showed a build date of 04.02.03 and the VIN# of the vehicle.  As for payment, yes schedule it.  I am paying for mine today just to get it out of the way and to leave a couple of extra days of admin.  I wanted to get the travel arrangements printed and issued, and this happens after the paperwork is cleared and payment made.  Its the last of the formal steps you have to go through.  

As for the existence of a VIN, AutoMonkey- you should have one,  I think the white list cars have VIN's on the sheet itself, but it depends on the build date that is listed after the specific car you chose.  There are built and "unbuilt, but scheduled" on the same list as I recall.  From my recollection, the sheet I saw recently for the allocation inventory of S60's did...

Kersti?  Your pickup is three days prior to mine, so I would assume your car is completed too.... but maybe I am crazy for thinking that....

AutoMonkey
02-10-2003, 11:07 AM
I'm guessing that my particular color is scheduled but not built, though I didn't actually see the list. As I said, since I'm not requesting any extra bells and whistles I'm not too concerned about vehicle ID as long as mine has what I asked/paid for.

By the way, LT, apes and monkeys are NOT the same thing... (http://www.howstuffworks.com/question660.htm) http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Low Tide
02-10-2003, 11:11 AM
Can you post a picture of your tail to prove your case?   http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif
And look, you reacted to my post right?  "Hang" in there AutoMonkey.... with your thumbs and your tail.   http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/huh2.gif

purush
02-10-2003, 11:37 AM
Kersti, LowTide and AutoMonkey

While I am not sure how things are supposed to work, here is what happened in my case.   I was all set to borrow money and turn in a check 30 days before delivery date.  The salesman I have been working with called and suggested that I hold off for a couple of weeks as the car has not been built yet and a VIN has not been assigned yet.   So I did wait.  I have now turned in my money -- two weeks before delivery date.  

As I was perturbed by all of this I called OSD.  They told me that a VIN was available all along.  Only that the build completion date was two weeks before delivery date.  Appartently as soon as a build is started the VIN is assigned.  The car then spends several weeks on the conveyor belt as parts are added to it.  

Furthermore, my salesman added that as soon as he receives a check from me he would have to make out a dealer's check to VCNA.  

Hope this helps.

sincerely
Purush

barrysharp
02-10-2003, 02:12 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Low Tide @ Feb. 10 2003,08:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Just an FYI- I forgot to post this last week, but a lot of the VINs for the OSD Feb/Mar cars seem to be out- so ask if you have not received your vehicle&#39;s birth certificate.

Mine was faxed to the dealer the day it after is was finished. Be prepared to translate all those numeric codes for the color, interior, options, etc. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/hehe.gif Now the final wait begins.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
My latest info is that my Volvo dealership will be invoiced for my XC70 around Feb 24th (could be sooner they say). My FDC pickup is scheduled for Mar 28th -- so this provides the 30 day advance payment presumably. Included with this invoice will be the VIN. The act of invoicing is essentially a notice from Volvo indicating they want to be paid their balance. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

02-10-2003, 03:40 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (purush @ Feb. 10 2003,10:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> Appartently as soon as a build is started the VIN is assigned. The car then spends several weeks on the conveyor belt as parts are added to it.

Furthermore, my salesman added that as soon as he receives a check from me he would have to make out a dealer&#39;s check to VCNA. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Hey, just a quick comment. Unless Volvo is very unusual, most cars spend less then 48 hours on the &quot;line&quot; start to finish. Parts are obviously built and shipped over the space of weeks, but generally once things start to come together it happens pretty fast.

I&#39;m negotiating as we speak on an OSD XC 70 for March delivery and am keeping my fingers crossed that it will work out.

purush
02-10-2003, 03:58 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Guest @ Feb. 10 2003,17:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (purush @ Feb. 10 2003,10:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> Appartently as soon as a build is started the VIN is assigned. The car then spends several weeks on the conveyor belt as parts are added to it.

Furthermore, my salesman added that as soon as he receives a check from me he would have to make out a dealer&#39;s check to VCNA. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Hey, just a quick comment. Unless Volvo is very unusual, most cars spend less then 48 hours on the &quot;line&quot; start to finish. Parts are obviously built and shipped over the space of weeks, but generally once things start to come together it happens pretty fast.

I&#39;m negotiating as we speak on an OSD XC 70 for March delivery and am keeping my fingers crossed that it will work out.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Well, read that as what ever time it takes to complete the car&#33; &nbsp;

Purush