View Full Version : Insurance and registration plates

02-05-2003, 06:36 PM
The OSD literature refers to Registration Plates are intended for use in Western Europe.

What countries are in Western Europe these days? Can I travel to Russia via Finland if I wanted to for example with the FDC supplied Registration Plates, and does the car insurance cover mne and the car in Russia? What other countries are excluded from Western Europe?

02-06-2003, 08:12 AM
Pretty much all of them.  I think if you stay with in the EU you should be all right.  If you leave Sweden, you will need to place the "S" sticker on the back of the car to denote the Swedish registration.

02-06-2003, 09:36 AM
Thanks -- I guess I need to get this "S" sticker then as I'm going to travel to/thru Norway. Do I get "S" sticker at FDC? Maybe it's "S" for being "Sharp" http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Low Tide
02-06-2003, 09:53 AM
Yes, Volvo FDC will put on the S for you.... they have plenty. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

02-06-2003, 10:35 AM
Here is the official list of countries you are insured in:
Austria, Albania, Andorra, Belgium, Bulgaria, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Germany, Denmark, Estonia, France, Finland, Great Britain, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Israel, Iran, Ireland, Iceland, Latvia, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Moldavia, Morocco, Norway, The Netherlands, Portugal, Poland, Romania, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine

02-06-2003, 11:58 AM

Thanks for that list -- where did you obtain this list from -- can you provide me with a reference ?   -THANKS.

02-06-2003, 12:05 PM
I know we are not allowed to ride with the Swedish license plates in North America.  What happens to those license plates?  Will our dealer give them to us, so that we can display them on the front?


02-06-2003, 12:10 PM
My sales person told me I have 30 days after I pickup car from dealership to register car and get my State's plates. This is the point at which I have to pay the local State's sales tax along with registration license plates.

So for my state I can travel about for 30 days presumably. I'm going to ask my local Dept of Licensing to have the above confirmed.

02-06-2003, 01:14 PM
I got the info at tds.volvocars.com, in the factory delivery center, then FAQ.  This is the web site for the FDC.

My wife was interested in keeping the plates for some odd reason and we asked the FDC and they said the plates will stay with the car until they reach the dealer and then will be taken off and temp plates put on.  There are yours and you should be able to keep them.  They told us to inform the dealer you would like to keep them in case they throw them away.

02-06-2003, 01:25 PM
the list of countries listed above matches the list on my insurance papers from sept 02.  there was a note about going to switzerland and having to stop and pay a small fee.  the country stickers are available in abundance at fdc, but they are no longer required in the european union.  the plates they put on our car were special tax free plates, and they got a lot of attention from europeans wherever we went.  they arrived on the car at the dealer when we picked the car up stateside, and because new mexco only requires a rear plate, we are still sporting our eu/sweden plate on the front end.  the plates are good for three years.  we did not put a sweden sticker on our car or the special fdc plate holder since we wanted to be as inconspicuous and less the flashy americans as possible.  we are running with the special plate holder here stateside.