PDA

View Full Version : 'optional' moonroof

skibo
02-05-2003, 10:43 AM
I was pleased when I heard that the XC70 base price in the US would be reduced for the 2003 model year by eliminating some of the standard equipment - primarily the moon-roof.

I now see through the 'Build your Car' function on the Volvo site that to order just about anything, you are required to order the $1200 moonroof as well!  Even the 'good' colors (other than black or white) and the third seat require that the moon-roof option be selected.

This really rubs me the wrong way - seems like just a sneaky way to advertise a lower starting price while ensuring that just about everyone gets buys this feature anyway.

barrysharp
02-05-2003, 03:42 PM
skibo:

Welcome skibo.

If I were you and if you're serious about it I'd contact local Volvo sales person and ask them if what you want can be done using the OSD program.

Good luck.

rkestner
02-06-2003, 05:46 AM
skibo,  welcome aboard!  yup, they have changed the pricing structure and methods, and i for one am still analyzing what it means and if you can save money through the breakouts.  when we ordered our sep 02 osd xc, i originally did not want the sun/moon roof.  i read that volvos averaged 18.5 years of age, really got broken in between 100k and 200k miles, and i decided that the roof might be a source of potential old age problems (seals, tracks, motors, etc.)  after placing my order and doing further research and thinking, decided to get the roof and repeat the osd thing every couple of years.  the roof would add to trade-in/re-sale value.  did not get the front headlight windshield wipers though.  cannot help but wonder if our xc is the only one in the usa without this option.  i believe that the factory will build YOUR car to YOUR specs, within the stated offerings of the plan.  hope this is helpful