PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning of instrument panel plastic

Eric
03-10-2004, 02:10 PM
I wanted to clean my instrument panel plastic, but don't want to scratch it.  On an Explorer I used to own it had fine-like plastic scratches from towels wiping it down from cleaning it.  How do other people clean it to avoid scratching it?

Art
03-10-2004, 03:22 PM
Eric,

I've just been using a regular glass cleaner in the past with a soft cleaning cloth. I find that it works for my needs.

Often wondered about those eyeglass cleaning kits at the optical outlets. If they're good enough for cleaning plastic lenses they should be just as effective on the XC's clear instrument panel. They even come with their own polishing cloths. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Raynald
03-10-2004, 03:39 PM
Scratches are difficult to avoid on clear plastic. Plastic eyeglasses cleaner is a good idea. Personnaly, I use a fine cotton cloth (handkerchief like...) with the anti-static computer screen cleaner I use for my LCD screen. Quite effective IMHO.  http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

gibbons
03-10-2004, 05:19 PM
I have heard that Windex and other glass cleaners are a pH base, and over time will cloud the plastic.  I never use it.

Car show guys buy "California Duster" thingies (the dash model) that work really well.  They lift dust and grit without grinding it in.  They work well for me, and it's a big concern on the 36 year old lenses in my Chevelle.

The trick is to never get the plastic dirty to where you have to work it to clean it.  Never touch it, never spill on it.  They you are just removing dust.  

By the way, there is a company called Novus that makes various grits of polish and a cleaner.  The polish can take swirl marks out from previous bad practices.

geo
03-11-2004, 02:32 AM
Cotton base cloths are softer than the plastic and should not scratch, Paper towels/ tissues are however harder than the plastic and will scratch. This also applys to your trailer windows  or glasses/ spectacles if you have plastic lenses

littlewaywelt
03-11-2004, 12:02 PM
I'd like to say that I use Windex and a soft lint-free cloth but in practicality I use whatever clean rag I am doing the interior windows with.  My car is 3.5 years old and the plastic covering the dash gauges is not noticeably scratched at all.

As a side note, may I comment "awesome car & color" on your 1974 Jaguar XKE Convertible, British Racing Green, 60K miles .  My dream car has always been a series 1 xke roadster, though I'd take anything in the 3.8 or 4.2.  Are the v-12s a lot more work?  I read through the Etype section in Hemmings almost every month and periodically check out the ones on ebay.  Is yours a show car, driver, etc?  Any tips or good classic jag forums you can recommend.

harrynato
03-13-2004, 03:00 PM
I use a medium size paintbrush in combination with a vacuum cleaner. Brush gently while keeping the mouth of the vacuum cleaner a few centimeters away from the surface. Works like a treat!  http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/thumbs-up.gif

bouvier
03-13-2004, 03:15 PM
We use a "Swifter" duster that lives in the car. It gets all of the dust with no chemical deposit. For oily spots I use a  damp paper towel with a little dish soap and wipe dry asap. Less is more.

slowflyer
03-15-2004, 09:51 AM
I strongly urge against using Windex type products.  Airplane windshields are plexiglass and Windex cannot be used because it causes crazing.  The instrument panel is not as exposed to sunlight and may be a different polymer but why take the chance?

I would use a mild cleaner.  

As for cloths, 3M makes a soft cloth that I have been having good results with for plexiglass and for eyeglasses.  Remember to use a clean cloth, of course.

msparks
03-18-2004, 07:49 AM
I have a secret to cleaning clear plastic.

It's call Pledge. I use this on all interior plastics including the plastic instrument. Make sure you use a clean cotton cloth as well, don't use the same cloth you use on your furnature in the house.

I have been using pledge for years. Also I use it on my Motorcycle visor, for the past 3 years and 40,000 miles my visor on my helmet is still clear(some minor pitting, but no scratches) The way you can tell is to ride at night and no rainbow effect from the headlights)

Hope this helps.

Eric
03-18-2004, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the inputs.  I will try the computer screen cleaner with a soft cotton cloth.  I think that the duster option would work, but for some reason grimy air and pollutants put a film on certain things here.

Thanks