PDA

View Full Version : Osd pricing, costs, etc.

tkirwan
02-10-2003, 09:30 AM
I'm a newbie to OSD. I've looked at the glossy material on the Volvo web site, but haven't asked the dealer any questions.

What are the general savings of using the OSD program? Is there any minimum travel time required when going to pick up the car?

We bought a 02 V70XC from the local dealer this past fall, but we'll probably be in the marked for another car in about two years, and I'm considering OSD for that one.

I've read through the forum, and there's a great bunch of info, but I'm still wondering about the two questions above. Thanks for any responses!

Low Tide
02-10-2003, 09:40 AM
Answers as of 2003:

1) Generally, it is about 7-9% off US retail pricing. From time to time there is additional promotional savings that increase the value of the OSD program. This past quarter, some total savings approached $7500-8000 per vehicle, making the total discount closer to 20%.

2) No, there is no minimum travel required. In the past, there were times when no pickup at the FDC was required, but this has changed. Some members go for a month, others just get off the plane, take the limo to the FDC, drive around the track and get on the plane home. Again, some times (usually winter) Volvo offers longer trip packages at no cost- or a upgraded travel incentive at a subsidized cost.

02-10-2003, 10:17 AM
You can maximize your savings by doing the following

1) Fly to FDC and return immediately after having your car delivered to you. This should be zero cost to you as the SAS flight over/back is free and Volvo pays for one night in Goteborg hotel.

2) Have your sales person keep an eye open for OSD specials such as lower special car lot sales and free optional packages. For example during Nov/Dec 2002 OSD was giving the Premium package free -- a USD $2,600(approx) value!

3) Be ready/flexible to seize the opportunity when it arrives

4) Avoid the dazzle and temptation to add options to the base vehicle http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

peter24a
02-10-2003, 10:44 AM
The savings are as follows:

MSRP on an 03 xc70 is $34,530 including shipping (west coast) of $660.  If you order through OSD the price is $30,800.  There is no shipping charge with OSD.  Currently they are also including two tickets on SAS to pick up your car and one night at a Hotel in Gothenberg.  At the time I ordered mine I was also able to get a free premium package (saves you $2,595).  All of the other major option packages are the same price as your dealer except for metalic paint ($450 at dealer vs. $350 OSD).  So an xc with metalic paint, shipping and prem. pkg would have an MSRP of $37,575 vs $31,150 a savings of $6,425 plus you get a free trip to Europe!  Sounds pretty compelling to me.  Granted you should be able to narrow this difference by haggling at your dealer for a dealer car.  At the end of the model year (this past fall) you could by 2002 cars at $4,500 under invoice due to a factory incentive of that amount.  I decided I would rather have an 03 (new features), pay less and wait longer (a lot longer) for the car.